Aero Club of East Africa (ACEA)
$224
$138
$109
$78
Priceline
All reviewsair kenyawilson airportnairobi trafficnext morningstayed herebetween flightsan overnight staymain buildingaviationmaraairlinenoiseshowernbotaxicomfort
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Love this place, from the friendly staff, the restaurant, the club appeal and even the dated and basic rooms and bathrooms all add to the quaintness. Inclusive in your rate is temporary club membership and the bar, lounge, polished wood and aeronautical memorabilia all very reminiscent of out of Africa. The wine is very reasonably priced and there is a good selection and it is pleasant to enjoy a drink in the bar before dinner.All the staff are amazingly courteous and efficient. We have stayed there a few times and it will always be our choice for overnight stays in Nairobi.
Last time we went with our grandchildren and son and everyone had rave reviews about the food. I love the old world ambiance that you are unlikely to get in another hotel and the convenience to both the International airport and David Sheldrick's Elephant Orphanage, which we always visit, makes its location very appealing. Plus, all our connecting flights around Kenya are on site (so no lengthy traffic delays) as it is situated in pleasant grounds right at Wilson airport. There is also a pool and lovely outdoor terrace to while away the hours before or after your flight to the Mara. Convenience 5 stars.

Room Tip: read a great deal about the noise but we must have been lucky as everyone slept very well, maybe tired after our flight...we have always had rooms around 10 and it worked for us.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 7, 2013

The rooms are basic but great value, and the location within Wilson airport makes the AeroClucb ideal for catching an early morning flight without having to fight the dreadful traffic on Langata Road.

However, the room I had was the closest to the main road and it was very noisy, with traffic and honking horns going til the early hours and starting up again by 6 am. The buildings are basic and the windows are single-glazed in steel frames. I think they should upgrade to double-glazed and get a tighter within the frames, and should also fit better seals on the doors to keep noise down.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 14, 2013

The positives: your temporary membership enables you to dine in the members only club bar, polished wood and old aviation photos everywhere: you expect to see Finch Hatton turn up for a sundowner. The food is simple and cheap. The reception and bar staff are very welcoming. After a long flight out from Europe via Dubai, it was great to spend the remains of the day in the garden which looks over the airfield to the Nairobi park beyond. Being a few hundred meters from the Wilson check in area means a late get up and no stress about potential traffic jams. It was nice to have breakfast on the terrace overlooking the garden.
The negatives: it's noisy. While the airfield is open you occasionally get loud bursts of propellor plane engines. On the non airfield side of the club there is a busy road. Bring ear plugs! The room was very basic, though clean and with plenty of hot water. Slept well, thanks to fatigue and to earplugs.
The convenience for the morning flight out to Masai Mara and friendliness of the staff mean that I'd certainly use this "hotel" on any future safari trip to Kenya. However, it's defitnitely a "one nighter".

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2012

A very useful transit stop, used by up-country resident members and tourists alike. There's a small surcharge for non-members. Simple decent accommodation and food, a good bar and breakfast, with cheerful friendly staff.

Room Tip: They're all a bit noisy due to road traffic.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I have always previously stayed overnight in the city prior to my early morning flight into the Mara from Wilson airport (WIL). This has meant an early start to make sure of getting through the horrendous traffic. In order to avoid this I decided to try the ACEA, & I'm very glad I did.

My BA flight didn't land until 10 PM but I cleared C&I very easily, jumped in a taxi & 15 minutes later arrived at the ACEA. I was welcomed, shown to my room & informed that the bar had been kept open for me! Even if you don't drink it's still well worth a visit. It's like a museum of nearly 90 years of aviation in Kenya & the neighbouring countries. There are loads of photos & pieces of memorabilia, including a Merlin engine, as fitted to the Spitfire! After a couple of Malts & a cracking chat with the barman it was time for bed.

My room in the new block, was large, clean & furnished with both a double & single bed. There is plenty of storage space & the bath room & shower were spotlessly clean & fitted with all mod cons. I slept like a log.

Breakfast was served in the main dining room & there is also an outside dining area next to the pool. I had a superb breakfast, cooked to order & priced very reasonably. The staff were both efficient & friendly. I was strolling down the road after breakfast to check in for my flight & a Safari link wagon stopped & picked me up!

I can highly recommend the ACEA & next time I'm here, rather than hanging around Nairobi airport waiting for my night flight back to LHR, I'll have dinner & a couple of beers here & then grab a cab to NBO.

Room Tip: The rooms in the new block are better & bigger.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple