“So awful, I never used that Trip Coordinator again!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Nairobi Airport Stop Over House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Nairobi Airport Stop Over House
You added Nairobi Airport Stop Over House to your Saves list
Ranked #71 of 226 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Christmas Island, Australia
“So awful, I never used that Trip Coordinator again!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I would not stay here again. And I would not recommend it either.

This was my 3rd trip to Kenya, in July 2010. I have stayed at places ranging from the top hotels to very modest tented camps. This time, I was helping to chaperone a group of kids for 2 weeks, and we used my now-former Trip Coordinator to book our accommodations. My guess is that he never set foot in the place prior to bringing us there from the airport. My regular Driver was horrified, as were other Kenyan friends of mine who could not believe the state of the place, or that we were staying in a neighborhood they did not feel was safe.

There is one main sitting room on the lower floor. They did allow you to use their computer there. In that room were several chairs and a couch, plus one long table for dining and a small 2-person table.

I believe there were 3 or 4 rooms upstairs- two smaller and two larger. One of the large rooms we reserved for the guys in our group, the other, largest we reserved for the girls in our group (bunkbeds lined the larger room with one full/queen bed). Judging from their comments and angry phone conversations, they were filled with other unhappy travelers,

Although the room was clean, there were plenty of mosquitoes and flying bugs around, and no screens on the windows. There was one shower upstairs (I tried to be one of the first to shower, and the water was warm then).
There was a toilet in a separate room next to that which was so foul that some of the girls in the group were literally crying. There were at least 14 people upstairs and the toilet wouldn't flush. The water, ETC. very often ran out over the top and onto the rest of the floor where we slipped on it constantly. I don't think I need to elaborate that point any more.

There were 10 of us, and although we had arranged for "Board", these poor girls working there were trying to fix everyone's meals on a single Jiko stove! They had an oven but it did not appear to be working. So 1-2 people at a time got their meals, which wound up making us very late to our appointments, go elsewhere, or skip meals altogether . (This may not seem important, but many travelers are on a tight schedule and it does make a difference.This was a budget trip and the kids worked hard to raise every dollar for the trip.)

The 2 young women working there were very nice, and they were clearly doing their best under the circumstances. I see by other reviews that not everyone had the same experiences we did, and I hope the place has improved. I am also guessing they didn't have a man burst in the front door at 4am screaming and yelling, either!

I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed on two separate occasions for one night each time, and used the airport drop off / pick up service they offer. The pick up / drop off from the airport was reliable and on time. The rooms are basic (hey, its Africa) but fine, the staff are friendly and helpful. Importantly it's secure. Breakfast was simple but adequate. It was also good value for money. we will be staying there next time we go to Nairobi.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MushnKit
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

hi travelers, am right now sitting at the dinning room of Stop Over House in Nairobi and i would like to recommend you this place. Between the airport and the city center, far away from the hassle of the city but really near to it. Cheap prices, nice food, hot shower, nice stuff and familiar ambient. And free wifi!! Highly recommended

Miriam

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Pakenham, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I stayed for a night before my flight the following morning and found it was great value for money; a stone's throw from the airport and very friendly staff. They directed me to a great restaurant nearby for dinner and very early the next morning, before I had to leave, they kindly made me breakfast too. I felt very safe and would gladly come back again next time I'm passing through Nairobi.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Irving, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

The location of the hostel is pretty close to the airport and it felt safe, but that's the only good thing I can say about it. There were mosquitoes everywhere, the bathroom was gross and there was a mouse in our room! Me and my friend were the only ones there and there are no computers to connect to the internet you have to have your own or ask to use the owners. There is also only a small TV that doesn't get many channels. Don't stay here no matter how convenient it is.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank Meg_baca512

Travelers are raving about these Nairobi hotels

heinkenszand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

This is à bood hotel for stopover.
I stayed 1 day and is was oké .
Good room, good bed and hot shower.
I got an airport pickup and next dag.
They arranged a shuttlebus to Arusha.
After I had a good breakfast.
Of send an email, you get response!
Basic but if you are in à budget verf good
And beats the hassle ging info Nairobi.
I even recommandeer it to friendster and
After boeking they got an SMS
Fairsafari Tanzania (Marit Nieuwenhuyse)

Room Tip: Ask for à room with toilet inside