“A let down”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Near Victoria furniture/Southern Sun Hotel
“A let down”
Reviewed November 27, 2011

Lovely decor and service, but that's about it!

Firstly, the quantity of wine in the glass was not what you would expect from a full glass of wine, it was almost like quarter glass of wine. (I had ordered a glass of house wine)

Quantity of pasta was not enough compared to what you get in other Italian restaurants.

The vegetables on the pizza were quite raw!

Expected better value for money!

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank uss12000

“Delicious Italian food”
Reviewed November 25, 2011

This is a new restaurant near the Southern Sun hotel which we tried for dinner ..beautiful restaurant , with an outdoor terrace. They have a large menu, infact I thought a little too large, so I was a little concerned if they'd be able to really do justice to these authentic Italian dishes, but happily for us, they did and we quite enjoyed our meal here. They also have excellent pizza's made in a wood -fired oven and trust me, their pizza is one of the best I've had in a long time. ..

I love my pasta and ordered one of their seafood pasta's with lobster in it - couldn't be better - and I'm definately planning to head back here sometime soon to explore the rest of their menu.
Desserts are a little limited though to normal fare with Tiramisu ,Cheese cake and the like - made well but not as outstanding as the rest of the meal.

Only minor negative would be the music - they could do better , as the music was not consistent during the night with a mix of traditional Italian and jazz at times. I was told they sometimes have a live pianist performing but I guess this would be on the weekends.

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank heather c
Nairobi, Kenya
“Fantastic Pizza & Italian Food now available in the heart of Nairobi”
Reviewed October 28, 2011

Zafferano is a "nuovo ristorante/pizzeria italiano" in the heart of Westlands, Nairobi and which we feel is delightful, well managed and has genuinely good Italian food. I have lived in Italy for 28 years and would simply state that the pizza we ate the other day was exquisite, better than what most Pizzeria's in Italy would serve up. In fact, it was a Pizza to remember encompassing those simple combinations of flavors and texture that distinguish genuine Italian food: rughetta, prosciutto, parmigiano, basilico, pomodorini ciliegie tutto su una base romana... Yes the owner is Indian but the chef is a genuine and experienced "piazzaiolo" from Bari, "Beppe". Enough said, I strongly recommend that you savour the delights of this new "ristorante/pizzeria" and doubt that you'll be disappointed. Incidentally, they have a comprehensive menu including "pasta fatta in casa" (home-made pasta). Buon appetito!

• Visited October 2011
2 Thank Kuzi
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Good food,elegant decor and fine service.”
Reviewed October 6, 2011

I had the opportunity to visit this fairly new restaurant two weeks ago when I was on holiday in Kenya.
Its central location makes it a good choice for tourists staying at hotels within Westlands..We were pleasantly surprised with the decor ,it was very upmarket and they also have a lovely terrace for those who wish to get a feel of the outdoors.The menu was still in the making according to the waiter who served us,but I must say the food was amazing!
There is a good selection of antipasti and mains and our meals were presented quite well.The position of their pizza oven in the terrace probably works to their benefit and I dont think anyone leaves without ordering a pizza. The menu was reasonably priced for the quality and quantity of food ,infact my portion of the mushroom risotto was enough for two!The Italian chef at the restaurant is from Puglia,and that explains why they have fairly authentic options like Eggplant Parmigiana which is freshly baked in the pizza oven.
They had a great local pianist who played some of our requests as well.All in all I would definately recommend it and look forward to visiting again when I'm back in Nairobi.

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank Edward765
“... could do better”
Reviewed September 9, 2011

Zafferano describes itself as 'elegant dining' and much of our evening qualified as such. Excellent waiting staff, nice place settings, lovely desserts. However there were discordant notes; artificial flowers on the tables (this is Kenya, a veritable Eden of flowers), poorly conceived main courses including seafood platter drowned in a thousand island dressing, jar of Colman's mint sauce plonked on the table and a poor command chain. All in all, if you just want to impress then it's dandy but if you really want good food, it still has a way to go. But I'm sure it will get there eventually.

• Visited August 2011