“Great experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Prague, Czech Republic
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

We liked this tour and we highly recommend "Explore Kibera Tours" as the tour operator. It was a great experience for all of us. Program was well done. Our tour guide Alistair was excellent! Milan and his friends

Visited October 2013
3 Thank Milan222222

San Diego, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Kigulu Orphanage Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

It wasn't a tour. You're not there to take pictures for Facebook. Kigulu is a place where a few incredible people work together to create a better life for children born into the toughest circumstances one can imagine. I think it is something everyone should experience. It will shift your priorities and perspective on so many issues and hopefully influence you to contribute to the environment in a meaningful way. I'll never forget my time here.

Visited November 2013
6 Thank Tayezz
Nairobi, Kenya
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“An important trip to make”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

We undertook a tour with Sande on a Sunday afternoon. The tour took us on a walk through Kibera that included the large markets and a stop at a bone carving collective. At no point did we feel insecure and people seemed happy for us to be there.
Sande is a good guide and pateintly answered our many questions on life in Kibera. He is recommendable.

Visited November 2013
3 Thank Mark W
LA
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Really well done”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

This was my second tour through Kibera and I have to say Explore Kibera Tours really has the best grasp on how to do this right. You don't just feel like a voyeur watching people in distress as if they're a show like I did on a different tour. Explore Kibera gets involved with organizations and the people there so there's more purpose behind it. It's an important thing for all westerners to experience and witness. To see this kind of poverty firsthand - there's nothing more important in my book. I bring teams to Kenya almost every year for non-profit work and this will be a stop for us every time. I'm glad we've found Explore Kibera because we'll work with them from now on.

Visited September 2013
4 Thank JoySwan
NYC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Great program!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I had a walking tour of Kibera with Sande. I had looked into several of the "slum tours" through tourist operators and this was an easy choice. For one, it's a local organization and a non-profit. The other places charge A LOT of money and they go to a big commercial tour group operator with all kinds of tours. This one is special. They are a non-profit and have a slight focus on the non-profits working in there. You'll see an orphanage, a craft group, or whatever you'd like to see. All of your fee goes to non-profits - either the non-profit who organizes it, or the other needy orgs. My guide, Sande was friendly, knowledgeable, and good company. He's got a great, upbeat personality and it was a pleasure to walk around with him. And at the end he takes you to the huge open air market where you can do some shopping for crafts, clothes, whatever you'd like. Great experience overall!

Visited October 2013