“Excellent one stop place for fixed priced souvenirs” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 34 Shopping in Nairobi
Raleigh, North Carolina
274 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 296 helpful votes
“Excellent one stop place for fixed priced souvenirs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

The craft center houses many individual rooms, each of which sells something different. Therefore, you can find a lot of variety (statues, masks, toys, jewelry, bath items, kitchenware, clothing, paintings, etc...) in one location. All items are fixed prices so there is no pressure of bargaining, I assume that I still overpaid, but the prices were much lower than what I saw in other stores. They also do A nice job of carefully packing the purchases. I only spent an hour here as my driver was waiting, but the selection is so extensive it can take a few hours to see everything well.

Visited February 2014
6 Thank Kat0425

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Croydon, Surrey
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Great lunch in a lovely garden”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Four of us had a lovely luch here during our stay in Nairobi. We introduced our two friends to this lovely place. My husband and I have already been here before.
The bird life in the garden is as good as ever and the lunch was very appetising.
I would thoroughly recommend this place as a lunch stopover during a tour of Nairobi.

Visited February 2014
5 Thank lainey6477
Geneva, IL
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Lovely Lunch and Shopping Spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

We had lunch here and it was really good. Garden was very pretty and we managed to do some birding during lunch. The only guests with binoculars glued to their faces during lunch! Afterwards we did some shopping in the very nice shops. No pressure and reasonable prices. Wish we had bought more here!

Visited December 2013
4 Thank ReginaMGeneva_IL
Atlanta
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“An Excellent Craft Emporium”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

I always seek out local crafts wherever I go. Utamaduni does not disappoint. The quality is high, the selection is wide and varied. Prices are not exorbitant. I doubt that you will find a better selection anywhere in East Africa. It's a bit out of town in Nairobi, but it's close to some other attractions such as the Giraffe and the ostrich centers and the National Park. If you collect crafts, or are looking for gifts (carvings, textiles, jewelry, simple toys, T-shirts, etc.), this is the place. I think part of the proceeds to the Richard Leakey wildlife Foundation. The service is exceptional and there's a nice luncheonette on the premises. The one biggest negative is that they have not updated their website with their current telephone numbers.

Visited December 2013
6 Thank Daniel G
Anchorage, Alaska
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Excellent place to buy anything East African”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Love this place and have been several times through the years. If you have one stop before you leave Kenya, this is the place. They will also ship anything back for you and pack it very well. Plan on spending a lot of time here, as there is plenty to see in every room and nook and cranny. Stay for lunch on the terrace, or just have drink and relax after all your shopping. A must!

Visited February 2013