WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Paradise in Niarobi” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hogmead

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Hogmead
Ranked #51 of 190 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
“Paradise in Niarobi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

Where else can you be a stones throw from a capital city and be able to enjoy a gin and tonic watching giraffe's at the bottom of the garden!
Hogmead is like no where else I have ever been; a stunning setting for a very peacful and relaxed start and end to a safari holiday. Fantatsic food, beautiful bedrooms, brilliant and attentive staff. Venetia is a wonerful host and made sure that everything was perfect.
I cant wait to go back.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

I was fortunate to stay with Jay, Venetia and the team at Hogmead during a recent business trip to Nairobi. My business hosts booked this residence and I am pleased they chose Hogmead! This place is absolutely fantastic, whether for business (or pleasure), and I don't think you'd feel more at home, while still having all the luxury and privacy you could desire from a chain hotel, anywhere else.

Rooms are comfortably furnished (actually the bed and pillows were amazing!) with LCD satellite televisions, DVD player, large bath and shower, etc.

Jay and Venetia will go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable - even if it means a packed breakfast before sunrise. The standard offering includes a wake-up call with tea or coffee.

The residence is in a very good area of Nairobi but some way from the international airport (Jomo Kenyatta International Airport), so allow ample time for traveling as the traffic is rather chaotic and unpredictable - even early morning or late night.

I stayed at House of Waine on my previous visit to Nairobi, but Hogmead definitely trumps! I would certainly stay here again!

Room Tip: The Verandah ground level rooms are convenient & spacious.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this characterful, family-run residence in a tranquil area on the outskirts of Nairobi. Very comfortable, tastefully renovated rooms (master room especially spacious) provided a relaxed, elegant setting complemented by an extremely friendly and hospitable team who made us feel completely at home.

Highlights were the highly attentive service, excellent home-cooked food, charming ambience and a peaceful garden to wander in adjacent to a giraffe sanctuary where game sightings are frequent.

Thank you very much for your generous hospitality and a memorable stay! We had a fabulous time and will highly recommend you to friends passing through Nairobi.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2012

What a fantastic retreat from the bustle of Nairobi. I slept better at Hogmead than I do back home in the states - the staff are attentive to every detail, and as many of the reviewers before me have mentioned, the venue is absolutely beautiful. Munching on three-course meals on the veranda with giraffes looking on is something to behold.

Venetia and Jay in particular are fantastic and made us feel like part of the family. Benson as well is one heck of a bartender.

I will be back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Christopher S
Washington D.C.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2012

This was my first visit to Hogmead, I will not go anywhere else in the future. At Hogmead you find very personable service, excellent food, and the staff makes fool proof arrangements for you. Absolute above and beyond! Yes, one is truly treated like family. I arrived on short notice, with no concrete plans how to spend my time in Kenya. Jay-Jay and Venitia, the team running Hogmead, immediately help me out and I spend the most amazing 10 days ever. Through their Safari and Conservation Company contacts they set me up to explore, and then gave me the warmest welcome back just upon departure. The Roberts and Dyers family standards are just too high to be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

My third visit at Hogmead surpassed my first two and that was tough to do! This time I stayed in the amazing master suite which is beautiful in every way, particularly the bathroom which was larger than my first London flat!
The hotel is small enough to feel like a family home and that is how you are treated too. It remains a peaceful haven tucked away from bustling Nairobi and a gentle place to ease yourself into or on the way out of the bush.
Great food, beautiful surroundings and views of the hills. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Nairobi now!

Room Tip: The master suite is simply stunning
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

We had the warmest welcome at Hogmead. Our room was lovely, large, quiet. We had tea, then drinks with the owner, charming. It did feel like a home. Very relaxed. And then a really really good dinner on the veranda overlooking the garden. Lovely staff. The manageress was there to see us off with a breakfast picnic at 5:30 AM, pretty impressive. And she was smiling!

Room Tip: We had a corner room the biggest I think. But our children had a very pretty room too.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family