African Heritage House
  • Pool
$208
Hotels.com
$85
All reviewsnairobi national parkamazing collectiontaxi driveralantextilesmali
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed at the African Heritage House for a day night and night and loved it so much we came back at the end of our holiday! It was our first time in Nairobi and needed somewhere to stay over night. This was the most perfect place, it's close to the airport, and is in the most amazing location (away from the hussle and bussle of the city) and looks over the whole of Nairobi's national park - where I saw elephants giraffe and rhino from our bedroom! The house is breathtakingly beautiful down to the tiniest detail. We were completely blown away when we arrived, and our bedroom (and every other bedroom) was beautiful - I felt like I was staying in complete luxury! We arrived very early in the morning so when we got there we went straight to sleep and then Alan arranged for a light lunch at mid day. We had lunch, dinner and breakfast there and i have to say the food was very fresh and absolutely delicious. During the day we relaxed by the pool which is completely hidden away by beautiful flowers, plants and trees - it was perfect after our long flight! We then had a tour around the house by Alan, which is a must, the house is full of so much history it's fascinating. In the evening we went up to the roof and had sun downers and supper with Alan. The view from up there was breathtaking - as you can see by the photos! In the morning we were served a delicious breakfast and then Alan arranged a taxi for us to take us back to the airport to fly to the coast.
I cannot recommend the African heritage house enough, the hospitality was perfect, we were made to feel very welcome and we were looked after very well! It was definitely one of the highlights of our holiday - and we loved it so much we returned at the end! It was absolutely beautiful there and completely inspiring, we definitely hope to return again soon. Thank you Alan!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2012

On our last day in Africa, we found ourselves with a few hours layover before our flight to London. My sister and brother in law had the pleasure of spending a couple of nights at African Heritage House and suggested that we have dinner there. What a beautiful and interesting evening we had. Meeting Alan is quite an experience and we so enjoyed having dinner with him. We started out with iced tea by the restful and beautiful swimming pool surrounded by interesting African artwork. We took a tour of the house and it is amazing and filled with priceless treasures. Dinner was served on the third floor with an unbelievable view of the sunset. Dinner was delicious and he even had a birthday cake and candles to celebrate my birthday. If you have the chance to visit with Alan at his beautiful home, you should definitely do it. The guest rooms will transport you to another plateau with their antiques and unique furnishings. He has some beautiful jewelry, fabrics, books, etc. for sale, but does not take credit cards. So, I would suggest you bring some cash, so you can go shopping. His home is very close to Jomo Kenyatta airport and Alan will even send a driver to pick you up. Can Hardly wait for my next visit with Alan at his lovely home.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed December 18, 2011

The African Heritage House (AHH) is Frommer's #1 Tourist Attraction! It's been featured in numerous architectural magazines and fashion shoots. This unique and special place is a revered landmark in Nairobi! Living in South Africa, my Kenyan friends tell me so! It's open for tours and lunch, but why not stay? AHH has so much to see that you definitely can't see it all in one tour! I have stayed twice-- with my sister in October 2011 and originally in October 2010 after a business trip and on our way to the gorgeous beaches south of Mombasa. AHH is so conveniently located to the Airport in this very busy city that it was great not to deal with the added traffic of coming from the City, but was close enough to go into the city when we wanted.

All of the suites at AHH are also unique in decor and design. They're very comfortable and all rooms but one have views out to the Nairobi National Park (that room, however, is huge!). I slept very soundly, but my sister very excitedly could hear lions roaring in the Park at night! You can definitely be transported back to the days of Karen Blixen's OUT OF AFRICA! (Her plantation is a neighbor.) Alan Donovan, owner and host, tells how the annual wildebeast migration would pass right in front of his house! Nowadays too many fences have diverted this amazing phenomenon, but he has photos for you to imagine it! Meals served on the terraces overlooking the Athi Plains and Park are a real treat.

Alan is another reason to go to the African Heritage House. He's a local legend. He's lived in Nairobi for 40 years and made a name for himself there and internationally. He's written his life story in a fascinating book, MY JOURNEY THROUGH AFRICAN HERITAGE. Alan is welcoming, accommodating, interesting and extremely knowledgable about all the incredible arts and crafts of Africa. His home is a testament to his love for this heritage, elevating even the everyday functional item to artform in this amazingly distinctive place!

Don't be dissuaded to visit because it's noted to be the #1 tourist attraction; it's not overrun with visitors and it doesn't interfere with your own visit. We had one couple come while we stayed there-- the Kenyan Chief Supreme Court Justice and his wife. Even the locals know what a treasure the AHH is! If internationally acclaimed guests such as Teri Hatcher (Desperate Housewives) and Roland Joffe (Killing Fields director) among others, are any indication, you're in good company here! I'd defnitely recommend this as your best and most extraordinary choice in Nairobi.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 9, 2011

If you are flush with money, this is an amazing place to stay. Alan Donovan has been one of the foremost collectors, promoters and sellers of African art and crafts over the past 40 years. His incredible house is like a museum, full of superb African sculptures, textiles, paintings, clothes, furniture, masks, etc etc. And as a guest, you get to wander, eat, and sleep in the house/museum, looking out over the Athi Plains and Nairobi National Park (Not sure why TripAdvisor has the address as Central Island National Park). Alan himself shows you around the house, and usually eats with you.

It is not cheap, but it is worth it if you love African architecture, crafts, and art.

Room Tip: They are all amazing
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank MuddyWalks
Reviewed November 2, 2011

African Heritage House is more than accomodations- it's an experience. Not only are the rooms spacious and comfortable, the view over Nairobi National Park is second to none.

My sister and I stayed here for 5 days, 4 nights. Alan had a driver pick us up and take us back to the airport which was only a short distance away. We had a hot dinner ready for us when we got there, and every need anticipated for us in advance (beds turned down with netting in place, bottled water in our rooms).

My room was the Lamu suite which has a veranda overlooking Nairobi National Park. The bed was comfortable and I had a private bath with a beautiful stone tub and shower. At night I could hear lions in the park (amazing!) and by day I could see zebras and giraffes grazing a short distance away.

There's a beautiful pool house and pool for relaxing by, and we enjoyed a glass of wine there one afternoon. Getting into Nairobi proper is a bit difficult, as traffic in Nairobi is horrific, but again, Alan arranged for a driver to take us into town. Besides going to Nairobi National Park, we visited the Karen Blixen House and grounds, the animal orphange at Daphne Sheldricks, the giraffe manor, and the Murumbi Gallery for some Kenyan history, all a short distance away.

But most amazing of all is the collection of African artifacts that Alan has collected here. Carved gourds, bakuba cloth, jewelry, African buffalo shields with lion tails, beaded aprons, and all sorts of historical carvings, headdresses and such. Mr Donovan is interesting, knowledgeable, and unforgettable.

Room Tip: My room was on the second floor, and I could hear lions in the park at night. My sister was on the first floor, and the park sounds didn't carry as well to her room.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family