WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of PrideInn Hotel Westlands

PrideInn Hotel Westlands
Ranked #129 of 161 Hotels in Nairobi
Darfur, Sudan via Charlotte, NC, USA
“Raphta Road - Bordering on Creepy!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2011

I cannot speak for the PrideInn on Westlands Road, but it's sister hotel on Raphta Road did not live up to the website pics. I can't say that it wasn't clean; it was. But there was a dinginess about the room and the entire grounds that made it appear less than clean. I moved from a front, streetside room that the guards could watch TV through my window, to a much more well-lit and spacious back room. It should've been nice, but it wasn't, and it was nothing really specific, just a overall lowness abounding the place. In the room, there was a disgusting fake animal fur rug in the room that was so used and unsightly that I was literally afraid to step on it. The bedsheets were worn beyond use and the pillows could only be called so because they were rectangular and enclosed in a pillowcase! The staff harassed me constantly for my room key, claiming they needed to get in to clean. Although i told them it was not necessary to clean, and refused to give my room key, I'd return to the room, and they would have cleaned. Obviously, you have another key! And they were so persistent that it caused me to check thoroughly every day to make sure nothing was missing; and to actually carry with me, things that I otherwise would have left in the room. It was actually a feat, accomplished only by loads of alcohol, that I was able to sleep at all due to nightmarish images that kept popping into my head. Therefore, I have to agree with the reviewer who likened it to a horror movie!
I agree with another reviewer about the Manager. The "check-in" room obviously doubles as the office for him and some of his colleagues, and he acts totally put out that one would dare interrupt his "work" to check into the hotel. He was so distant as to actually be rude! And when I saw him around the place, he acted as if he was some demi-god, way beyond speaking to a peon such as myself!
I think the fact that it was used as a residence by some of the guests contributed greatly to its unappealability. Seeing shoes and rugs and prayer mats and laundry outside the rooms in the common walkways was a bit offputting. The concept of living in a hotel is OK. However, one always imagines that the hotel denizens will be more the Oprah in the Ritz sort than the sort that would be otherwise living in a trailer park!
On the plus side, the rooms were quite large, the internet was quite fast, and the immediate hot water in the bathroom was quite welcome. Although the breakfast was horrendously skippable, I ate in the restaurant only one time, but, despite the gloomy atmosphere, found the food quite nice and affordable.
On the BIG plus side, the location was outstanding!!!! Easy zipping here and there, and since was so close to Sarit Center (mall), getting a cab was quick and easy.

Room Tip: If you MUST stay here, take a room in back. It's near where the "permanent" residents...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
      Location
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2011

Wonderful, I'm currently there and the room Im paying ksh7000 ($85) for is basically a one bedroom house with breakfast. Free wifi, pool, the whole package. Will keep u guys posted

• Stayed August 2011
      Location
      Rooms
Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

This dingy little motel is not the PrideInn we thought we were being booked into....rather it was a 'sister' hotel of theirs. Our flight back from Malindi was delayed and we checked into the hotel (and I use that word loosely) quite late - other than taking copies of our passport the night manager was rather rude to us. We were shown to our room which was unspeakably shabby - I can safely say the furniture was purchased in the 70's. The room itself was clean, however the bed which was rock hard (and I mean ROCK HARD) had only a sheet with a hole over it to cover the mattress, two pillows and a dodgy blanket. We were originally only supplied with one towel and fortunately the night porter who was hanging around our room looking for a tip got us another one - I'd rather not get into just how bad the bathroom was. We would have left but it was after midnight and we had to be at the airport by 05h00 the next morning. On check out, the early breakfast we had arranged - and had to pay for was no where to be seen, we were also charged a $150 instead of the $117 that they had told us in an early email - again we were fortunate enough to have another "charming" duty manager. STAY AWAY from the place - there are much better places to stay in Nairobi and we will NOT be returning!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Nairobi hotels

Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

We were pleasantly surprised at this hotel, which has less stars than some of the other hotels we were looking to book into, but were all full. The staff were very attentative, the food excelent (especially if you like Indian cooking), the wi-fi free, TV channels in room OK. The bedroom was clean and comfortable, with safe, tea/coffee, bottled water, internet by cable (free), desk, and a comfortable bed. Bathroom is basic, but with all facilities needed. They supply airport transfers on request. I will book there again.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on second floor if possible.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank CapeTownCobraman
belfast
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

the bad points
- no apparent lift
- breakfast basic and cold
- phone only take incoming calls (in the whole hotel even reception!)
- stone floors that are very noisy
- lots of hotel water but poor thermostats
-bizarrely my sink plug vanished after 1 day
- mobile reception is poor

good
- indian restaurant downstairs was excellent
- good wireless in restaurant
- internet in room
- feee internet

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles