“Excellent shopping experience”

and up
Nairobi Highlights: Karen Blixen, Kazuri Beads, and Giraffe Center
Ranked #4 of 318 Tours in Nairobi
Reviewed May 16, 2014 via mobile

Very nice shop for buying gifts and small stuff for friends and families

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"women working"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed May 14, 2014

Our friend recommended we go to the Kazuri Beads Factory while out in Karen. I'm so glad we went. You get a free tour of the factory and see every step of the bead and pottery making process. The factory provides work for single mothers, and boy do they earn their paycheck. It was really fascinating to see them making and painting the beads and pottery by hand. Of course, the shop is awesome. There is so much to chose from there's not a chance you won't find something you like. And buy while you are there. We saw Kazuri beads elsewhere that had been marked up at least $5. And if you wait to buy them elsewhere in the world, you will probably pay 200-500% more. Plus, I like knowing that my purchase there was going straight to the workers and not through 3 middle men. If you are out near Karen to see the elephants, giraffes, or Karen Blixen house, you MUST go to Kazuri.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

I read reviews that said the prices were outrageous, so I went, fully expecting to not be able to buy, but to look, at least. What a surprise! The bracelets, which wrap around the wrist twice, were about $9! I got several, both for myself and for gifts, in the most gorgeous colors! Definitely worth the trip, and of course knowing that our patronage helps support mothers raising children is just icing on the cake!

1  Thank PLG1956
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I have been to Kazuri Beads three times now, and am always amazed by the rainbow of colorful beads that greets me as I enter the store. The tour of the factory, which provides work for single moms, is really informative, and the bead makers are happy to talk and share information. For all the birdwatchers out there, we saw Hartlaub's Turaco, a big, beautiful amazingly colorful big in the trees near the factory. With birds like this one around, the inspiration for the rainbow of beads becomes clear!

1  Thank Sonja W
See more reviews
Reviewed April 2, 2014

We visited Kazuri Beads while out and about in the Karen area (visiting David Sheldrick, Giraffe Center, lunch at Karen Blixen Tamambo, etc). The factory was closed (it was a Sunday), but we nonetheless enjoyed an abbreviated tour around the inviting grounds from the hospitable staff. All the bead jewelry was simply beautiful, and it was hard to narrow down the gift selections. The variety of inventory had my head spinning (like others in the store, I bought much more than I thought I would, while my husband relaxed on the nearby patio). 'Fair trade' pricing, with our necklace selections starting at ~$12-15 & up (depending on the length). . . . Even the kids found enticing 'alphabet' beads, and the engaging women staff made the children personalized necklaces with their purchases. Now, my real dilemma: will I give my Mom what I specially purchased for her, or keep it for myself?!

1  Thank nycsundog