“Clay beads and great birds!”

Kazuri Beads Factory
Book In Advance
More Info
$75.00*
and up
Nairobi Highlights: Karen Blixen, Kazuri Beads...
Ranked #17 of 346 Tours in Nairobi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: KAZURI BEADS LIMITED is located in Karen - Nairobi Kenya. Kazuri, which means “small and beautiful” in Swahili, began in 1975 as a tiny workshop experimenting In making ceramic beads made by hand. We have since grown to a huge factory where we make beautiful world class Jewelry from clay and provide employment to over 300 single mothers in Kenya.
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I have been to Kazuri Beads three times now, and am always amazed by the rainbow of colorful beads that greets me as I enter the store. The tour of the factory, which provides work for single moms, is really informative, and the bead makers are happy to talk and share information. For all the birdwatchers out there, we saw Hartlaub's Turaco, a big, beautiful amazingly colorful big in the trees near the factory. With birds like this one around, the inspiration for the rainbow of beads becomes clear!

1  Thank Sonja W
in 11 reviews
"health care"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed April 2, 2014

We visited Kazuri Beads while out and about in the Karen area (visiting David Sheldrick, Giraffe Center, lunch at Karen Blixen Tamambo, etc). The factory was closed (it was a Sunday), but we nonetheless enjoyed an abbreviated tour around the inviting grounds from the hospitable staff. All the bead jewelry was simply beautiful, and it was hard to narrow down the gift selections. The variety of inventory had my head spinning (like others in the store, I bought much more than I thought I would, while my husband relaxed on the nearby patio). 'Fair trade' pricing, with our necklace selections starting at ~$12-15 & up (depending on the length). . . . Even the kids found enticing 'alphabet' beads, and the engaging women staff made the children personalized necklaces with their purchases. Now, my real dilemma: will I give my Mom what I specially purchased for her, or keep it for myself?!

1  Thank nycsundog
Reviewed February 12, 2014

An excellent guide taught us masses about bead making. Watching each step of the process, and being able to talk to the clever ladies who do the hard graft, was wonderful. And then an opportunity to buy the beautiful products.... What more could a girl ask for?! And it was fine to get around in a wheelchair too although I did need the occasional push. Fabulous afternoon and now I am back in the dreary uk weather I still love my necklaces!

Reviewed January 22, 2014

It was a Sunday when we went here so the factory was closed. Nonetheless, I had a very enjoyable time browsing through the shop and finally managed to choose the perfect necklace. Items are very well made and reasonably priced. Had a drink in the garden also.

See more reviews
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We went here for a quick tour on our day in Nairobi, it's not too far from the giraffe centre and elephant orphanages if you're over in Karen. We were shown round by one of the guides who was very good at explaining how all the processes worked.

At the end we were invited into the shop to have a look. We bought a few bits and pieces, came to about £30 for 2 necklaces, a small giraffe and a candle holder which seemed pretty reasonable to me.

1  Thank paulwilkinson