WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #7 of 235 Nairobi B&B and Inns
San Diego
“It grew on us”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

The location was definitely the biggest drawback. With the tangle of highways all around (and Nairobi's reputation for crime), we didn't feel comfortable striking out on our own. But the resident taxi drivers were great -- friendly and reasonably priced. And the hotel had lots more going for it. The wifi was good, the breakfasts were good. The staff was incredibly responsive. Our only other complaint was that service in the restaurant, where we ate dinner twice, was extremely slow. Still for the price, this is a good deal.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

The hotel was clean and the staff were friendly. My bed was comfortable. The mosquito net was in good condition and it didn't drape over my bed awkwardly like the ones at some other hotels I've been to. I got some laundry done while I was there. It wasn't expensive and my clothes came back clean. The free breakfast was great! It was a buffet that had a combination of English breakfast and local foods. I ate supper at the restaurant a few times and enjoyed it. The free wifi isn't incredibly fast, but it works (it's the best in the lobby, but I could sometimes pick up a signal in my room). It's within walking distance of the main business district. To go to places that were farther away, my friends and I hired taxi drivers provided by the hotel. They were friendly and knowledgeable, and they had reasonable prices. If I go back to Nairobi, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank alexs27
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights: 6th & 7th June. I was with my boyfriend.
The location is not safe at all. They gave us a room that was facing the highway, it was so noisy that we could not sleep. I had to call the reception in the middle of the night to ask them if I could change the room.They refused, so I told them that if I was to sleep in the same room the following night I would have gone to another hotel although I had already paid for both nights. The following morning I went straight to reception and reminded them what I said over the phone. They changed the room, the second one was better , but still a bit noisy. I would not recommend this hotel, unless they give you a room facing the garden and not the highway.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Milly M
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights, really lovely staff, nice room, very good room service and all for £25 per night !!. Taxi's from the door and easy enough to walk into the CBD. One tiny glitch - they offer a comprehensive laundry service except for underpants which they won't wash ! I will certainly stay there again if my travels take me to Nairobi again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank henry003
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

Affordable luxury. Great customer service, quiet, and yet less than a ten minute walk to the heart of Nairobi's business district. This was not only the best place I stayed in Nairobi, but the best place for the price that I stayed in four months of travel in West, East, and Southern Africa.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Willy-Celu
Kisumu
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

For mid-range budget travelers, this a great hotel. I had just flew in to Kenya for the first time and was really looking forward to a clean room, a comfortable atmosphere, and a good night sleep. Kahama delivered! In addition, they picked me up from the airport, the front desk offers helpful advice, and they have free internet (however, the WFI was not working; you can't expect it all). The breakfast included is an excellent buffet and the restaurant has a large selection of foods. I also appreciated the mosquito net drapes around the bed. Oh yeah, and they replied to my e-mails instantly!

Perhaps the only draw back is the location; while only a short walk outside the downtown, it can be a little hectic with hawkers, highway traffic, and the possibility of getting lost. If you are not the adventurous type, there are taxis right at the hotel.

Overall, a great recommendation by Lonely Planet.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back away from the highway.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Craig F
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed in a superior king size room and it was very comfortable and clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. I also liked the restaurant, which, among other things, served traditional nyama choma. I agree with the other reviewer that a room safe would be nice, though I was still able to leave valuables with the staff. Overall, Kahama Hotel is a great place to stay in Nairobi for an affordable price.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends