Tripadvisor
Nairobi
Post
Inbox
Search

“Tempting the taste buds”
Review of La Salumeria

La Salumeria
Ranked #69 of 862 Restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

La Salumeria has a touch of the conservative Home made Italian food in a very contemporary ambience. The food is par excellence, decor is classy simple, service is good but the tables are a bit small. The waiters have good knowledge of the ingredients of the dishes and guide you well through the menu.
Loved the exemplary taste of the pasta dishes.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (196)

Reviewed January 3, 2020

I am a regular customer at Salumeria (I go to it more than I go to most restaurants; I like it when I want to eat alone or for special occasions). I went there this evening, 3rd of January, to have my favorite Tiramisu and cappuccino with a friend (a former regular customer of theirs). During the Christmas and New Years period, Nairobi is very quiet. There were very few guests in side of the restaurant (there were more outside given favorable weather), and we were the only pair.

After placing the order, the owner, who I thought was coming to greet us, admonished us telling us that they were making an exception for us given that it was dinner time yet we wanted to only order dessert.

Now, if it weren't for the fact that (i) I go to the restaurant a fair amount and we order full meals, (ii) the main restaurant was virtually empty, and, (iii) I attempted to place the order online (for the second time in a few weeks) and couldn't, and decided to call a friend to join me and we each drove 20 minutes from our respective homes, I might be less offended.

That was terrible service - from the owner.

I have recommended this place to many and will not do so again, and will not return again as a customer.

The former manager, who is very warm, opened a new restaurant on Ngong Road which I find inconvenient and thus have only gone once. However, I would rather endure the inconvenience for warm service than eat at a place where the owner makes you feel unwelcome on a night that is absolutely not busy (or on any night). (I should add that I've previously been served frozen tiramisu here and still went back, because I loved their pasta and their dessert is well made. Never again.)

Date of visit: January 2020
1  Thank Shera201
Reviewed December 8, 2019

So my partner and I decided to try this place again for dinner. And the service has definitely improved, and not just a small improvement but like great and attentive service. We loved it, and cause their food is always spot on, we will be visiting here more often. We went on a Saturday evening and the place was full. Kudos to them for the improvement.

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed November 7, 2019

We went to salumeria for lunch and have been greatly disappointed. The food quality and service was really not what we had expected. The lasagne (with meat) was first of all kind of tasteless (we guess it was frozen), the portion too little and there was a HAIR in it. After complaining about the hair we were offered a complementary dessert or a glass of wine which we denied, and the owner (we suppose) was saying it was not a big deal since it was only a small hair . - REALLY?! We have never our my life received such an answer to a complain. We refused to pay for the lasagne, but still were charged half the price for it. We will never be back again, as this was really disrespectful and everything you would not want to experience when going to a restaurant.

Date of visit: November 2019
1  Thank juliaalba
Reviewed November 5, 2019 via mobile

Went for dinner, nice ambient,classic italian restaurant, place was busy for a Wednesday, the pizza was nice

Date of visit: October 2019