“A Caring Experience”

Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
“A Caring Experience”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Went to Onami this afternoon, my first time there, for a business lunch, so took the business lunch option. The service, if not the food, was outstanding. The best I have ever had in Nairobi. I enjoyed the salad and the tempura. My main course was quite disappointing but my companion's dish, fish and couscous was to die for and was a good portion. They offered to replace my main course with another and when I declined they brought complementary dessert and tea! I will certainly go back.

I liked the decor; lovely big room, kind of worn but in a cool way.

• Visited July 2013

“great food and music”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We went for a nice evening out and it was great. Food was lovely! My husband is vegan so he asked what he could take from the menu. No problem - the chef created the most wonderful plate of grilled veggies. Music a bit loud if you want to come with a group to talk, but for a smaller table it works just well as you don't overhear other people's conversations. Nice mix of Kenyans and non-Kenyans. We came on Thursday and found live music and salsa dancing - good atmosphere!

• Visited July 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Went here for drinks”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Nice, laid back atmosphere for drinks. However, the service is VERY slow.

Did not have food but heard it is good.

Visited June 2013
Nairobi
“Just can't seem to get it right...”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Not sure why these guys still can't get it right. I think the Art Caffe folks (who also own Onami) are just spending too much time developing new concepts and not focusing on their current brands. Onami's setting is really great, but unfortunately, every time we go there's always an issue with the service or with roaches. My first issue is that this place has roaches. It's on the second floor w/ no other food around it, it should NOT have roaches. My wife and I decided to sit at the bar (which I no longer recommend) and we saw a roach walk by our meal. We notified the supervisor who took care of it. We, unfortunately, decided to stay in our seats and a few minutes later another roach crawled by our meal. At that point, we were pretty frustrated and decided it was time to leave.

Second complaint is that Onami always runs out of ingredients. For instance, we ordered a tuna roll w/ avocado. The roll came out with avocado. Brought it the waiters attention and he said that they ran out of avocado. Another instance, we ordered the expensive teppanyaki and it came without lobster. They decided to replace it with Salmon. I can understand that a restaurant may run out of items from time to time, but they should tell the customer before he/she places the order.

Overall, just a bad experience every time we go which is unfortunate, b/c the food isn't half bad.

Visited June 2013
“Lovely ambience”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Went here for a dinner and drinks with friends. The food was great, for those who like fish, try it. The garlic rice was good, chicken wonderful. Sushi is really nice here and its a joy to watch the chef prepare the teriyaki & fish.
Its happy hour until 7pm weekdays so you get to enjoy two drinks for the price of one.
The music was awesome.