“A charming weekend getaway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Nairobi Tented Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Nairobi Tented Camp
You added Nairobi Tented Camp to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Nairobi National Park, Nairobi 00509, Kenya   |
Ranked #1 of 217 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Nairobi, Kenya
“A charming weekend getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Spent a lovely Saturday night in this charming camp. NTC delivers on so many levels: it is SO easy to get to but feels so remote and so "out in the wild" - perfect for the lazy traveler. The set up is lovely - the common area and dinning space is cosy, wonderfully laid out and very well appointed and the rooms are large, comfy and very safari chic. The service is excellent and the food first class. And all this for a really reasonable rate. I highly recommend it as a perfect weekend getaway in the heart of Nairobi!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Annmarie S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Due to my preoccupation in Nairobi, I had not been able to visit anyplace else except my office. So I used the weekend before my departure to book myself into this safari online on their website. They picked me up from my hotel at 10:00. While, they said about forty minutes, it took me more than an hour to get there, due to construction of bypass, widening.

This is located within Nairobi National park, a 170 Sq. Km. forest, 7 KMs from the city of Nairobi. My Game drive started at five in the evening, saw hippos, bison, innumerable birds and was still looking for the Lions and Rhino. My Ranger picked up that there was a lion in the swamp area, true enough as we reached there, a lion sat amongst the rocks barley visible. We stayed put for almost thirty minutes. Magically, six more lions stood up from amongst the grass, barely ten meters from where we stayed put. The lions frolicked, split up into two, in preparation for a chase where one could start the chase and the other is waiting to intercept. Meanwhile, another big lioness, walked on the road past my open window, gave me a wonderful video shot and got into the swamp. So this was a eight member hunting group. While, I could not see a kill, seeing these lions prepare for a hunt with their own tactics was worth a million.
When, Clemence, the camp manager said we should always call for an escort when moving between the lounge and rooms, I did not believe her. But, next morning as we were starting our game drive, fifty meters from the camp, a fully grown female lioness, walked toward us, fearlessly, giving me another chance for photography. I would very strongly recommend this camp, as a must see, especially for these not traveling up to Masai Mara.

Room Tip: Book online, ask for pickup and drop off, stay one or two nights inside the National Park, amongst t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I NEVER write reviews but please take this seriously. I went to Nairobi because my niece was working there and her parents were visiting. We stayed in Nairobi for a few days and then they were going off for a Safari near the coast. I really didn't have the time to stay a second week so I found this "Nairobi Tented Camp." I never thought it would be as amazing as it was. It is elegant and as "up scale" as all of the other camps, but right outside of Nairobi. Chloe was the manager and she was amazing. Our jeep driver was fabulous and we saw herds of zebra, rinos, giraffes and so much more. The food, accommodations and service were 5 star +. I loved loved loved this.....don't miss it if you are in Nairobi....truly. THE PHOTOS DO NOT DO IT JUSTICE.

Room Tip: I only stayed in tent #8 and it was lovely.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 345traveler
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We visited in Sept 2013. We were surprised by the camp's approach to conserving nature and making sure our involvement did not alter the landscape permanently unlike most camps in SA.

Nothing is permanent in this camp (no concrete or permanent structures; the default setting can be restored in a moment, no trees have been displaced to make way for tents). Let this not fool you, the service is exceptional; Right down from the agents to the chef. Natural is a theme that is heavily extended to all aspects of your stay... lighting, hygiene, food, water and waste disposal. In my opinion, the food is exceptionally made to excite your taste buds and the home made approach underlines the personal touch.

If you want a proper city life detox, I highly recommend this. If you prefer intimate moments with your better half or your thoughts, then this is the place to be.

The elephant orphanage educates one on the realities of elephants in Africa as a whole under the siege of illegal tusk harvesting while at the same time offering hope about the future of elephants. We all know what is happening to our rhinos.

This is your last chance to witness the big five just on the outskirts of Nairobi, a first in the world!

Have you ever imagined carrying your little luxuries to the wild without negatively affecting nature?

This is Africa at the end of the day, plans/logic do not always prevail and flexibility should always be kept open as an option.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Munguti N
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We spent our second and third nights in Kenya in the Nairobi Tented Camp and as a result of our experience were sorry not to have spent our first night there too. We found the staff friendly and efficient and the tents comfortable although a little jaded. The food was creative and delicious thanks to Peter and Paul. And our guide Tim was excellent.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Margie W
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed a night at Nairobi Tented Camp at very short notice because of a fire at Nairobi Airport which delayed our departure from Kenya. The staff were superb, very helpful and nothing was too much effort.
The tents were comfortable, but not as luxurious as expected; largely because they are effectively temporary. There is no proper plumbing: the toilets in each tent look like the real thing, but are chemical. And the shower is a bucket affair which has to have hot water brought up by the staff on demand.
The bed was comfortable but ours collapsed when we first got into it and we had to put it back together.
We went on a game drive and saw both black and white rhino which was great. Also good birding.
But I wouldn't stay again for a couple of reasons: the park is a remarkable place - real bush but right next to the city of Nairobi so everywhere you look you see the city skyline. And I don't recommend staying in Winter - the camp is situated within a forested area and didn't get much sunlight so it was quite cold. Also little to no cellphone reception which was a problem when trying to establish what was going on at the airport.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lucinda D
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed in August 2013 at the start of our honeymoon for one night before flying out to a couple of other Gamewatchers (Porini) camps. It was an amazing first day for us - going to the elephant orphanage (Sheldrick) followed by a game drive in Nairobi National Park. The whole operation was extremely slick. We were amazed by the variety of wildlife we saw (lion, rhino, giraffe, antelope and buffalo to name just a few) and were seriously impressed by our Maasai guide (Tim) whose knowledge (both in identifying the animals and then explaining the science behind their behaviour) was far beyond what I was expecting - it made for a really exciting experience.
The camp itself was brilliant - luxurious tents and really good food. We subsequently went to a boutique hotel on the coast whose food was not as good as that of the Gamewatchers tented camps.
We then went to sleep to the sound of Hyrax - a great introduction to our safari honeymoon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple