“Clinical, unfriendly and no Kenya love”
Review of Sankara Nairobi

Sankara Nairobi
Ranked #7 of 169 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Before I write this review, let me say I travel the world on business and stay in many hotels, my family have lived in Kenya most of their lives and have been in the travel industry running safaris.

I recently had two clients staying at the Sankara, I will not be recommending it to anyone in the future.

This hotel could be anywhere in the world, there is no Kenya love in this hotel, it is just a big clinical box with standard as per rooms.
The security staff on the front door were by far the friendliest, reception staff were not particularly helpful and my clients had to ask to zoo the manager a number of times as the staff were unable to deal with the issue.
They tried over charging and generally messed the booking around, even attempted to say they had no rooms at the original price quoted and offer a more expensive room!!!!

Restaurant staff i would suggest lacked training in service and communication skills, food always seam to take an age and on a number occasions the order was wrong.

Extremely over priced and very expensive food… Not worth the money...

My clients did not enjoy the experience, it's a horrible clinical and unfriendly place, it may be new and it may be the place to conduct business..

I would recommend way before Sankara, the Fairview, Norfolk or the Serena….or if you want luxury and can afford it for $550 you can have a stunning room at the Giraffe Manor….

Room Tip: Add a tip to help travellers choose a good room!!!!! Go somewhere else
2  Thank Steve C
Sankara N, General Manager at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear Steve C,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Naturally we are disappointed to note your comments. I have shared the comments with the team to see how we can improve on what your clients experienced.

I can only put this as isolated stay and experience. As you can see the other reviews on the hotel from other travellers highlight the Kenya hospitality, quality and level of service.

We do hope that you will afford us an opportunity to restore your faith in us with the service experience we have become known for.

With Warm Regards

Reviewed February 19, 2014

My first stay at this hotel. On checking in late at night after a very long flight I was shocked to hear that my suit case needed to be opened right in the lobby (albeit on the side) for security check. To my surprise the staff was rummaging through my clothes and other personal things with BARE hands ! This is just incredible and unacceptable !. Had they put on disposable gloves I would definitely not have any problem. It is for my own security that searches are carried out on everybody.

Apart from this unwelcome incident the hotel is fine. The room was clean. The personnel were courteous. Breakfast ok. Meals were on the high side. The gym was wll equipped. The room rate was somehow high compared to other hotels in town centre. It is OK for a short business trip only.

1  Thank clearsea51

Dear clearsea51,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with trip advisor.

Please accept our most sincere apologies for the security incident. Our security staffs have been issued with gloves for the search process which clearly is a shortfall from our team. The security Manager is taking the matter up to ensure the gloves issued are used at all times.

The searches are necessary in the interest of the safety and security of all our guests. The hand search is a temporary measure as we are expecting delivery of x-ray machines to take over this process in the coming month.

We do look forward to welcoming you back soon to experience a much improved search procedure with the machines.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

A lovely hotel, with great service meeting every business travellers needs. The only downside is that it feels a little modern and without any real African flavours, but there is plenty of that outside the front door.

1  Thank David H

Dear Davidh 1977,

Thank you for your review on tripadvisor.

We are delighted that you found our facilities meets business travellers needs. The design was carefully undertaken to give the modern feel incorporating a feel of the New Africa. We do have an extensive collection of East African art and flavours subtly incorporated in various aspects of the hotel in art, sculptors and colours in décor to the turn-down Sankara Seven encompassing crafts of Africa.

Please do let us know what African flavours that you would have liked to see in the hotel. Your feedback will help us improve on our facilities to meet our client expectations.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

For years I've been staying at the Serena or the Intercontinental when on business in Nairobi but wanted to try the Sankara because I'd heard so many good things about it. And it is an excellent, world class hotel. It is modern, sleek, functional, with a solid lounge and restaurant selection and by far the best trained hotel staff I've come across in Kenya.

However, the gym is simply not up to international business hotel standards. It is almost an afterthought in a hotel where everything else from the decor to the service is world class. For serious business travelers like myself who spend up to six months a year on the road the exercise facilities are often the most important thing I am looking for in a hotel after price and location. The Sankara gym is small, has a very limited amount of aging, poorly maintained equipment, and no sauna or steam room and the pool is really not big enough for swimming laps.

It is unfortunate because everything else about this hotel is so well done, designed and thought out but I guess I'm back to the Serena when next in Nairobi.

Room Tip: The Firewalls on the wifi system are quite heavy. Call the IT guys if you are having trouble sending...

Dear mpk17,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your most recent stay with us. We appreciate your kind words about our hotel’s overall design and ambiance, and trained staff.

I am sorry to hear that the Gym is not meeting your expectations. Please accept our apologies for the sauna and steam rooms not being operational due to maintenance during your stay.

We hope that you will be returning to the Sankara soon and we will look forward to you returning; for our facilities ambience and staff until we can find a solution to expanding our Gym offering.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

The Sankara property itself is beautiful, clean, and well maintained ... and the restaurant selections and Club Lounge service are very very good. The rooftop bar and pool are truly first rate. BUT, beware that the WiFi internet connections are severely throttled ... both in the Lobby area and individual rooms ... such that even common e-mail connections are slow slow slooooow. By the time you're able to connect with your VPN or gmail account, you'll likely get timed out again and again. The WiFi is free ... but the bandwidth is simply ridiculous ... a complaint shared the entire week of our stay by several of my business colleagues also staying at the Sankara. It's a shame that such a beautiful and service-friendly property has such limited and frustrating IT connectivity.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Sankara N, General Manager at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Dear John0225,

Thank you for your review and the gracious comments about our property, the restaurants, the club lounge facilities, and the roof top bar - Sarabi.

We sincerely apologize that you experienced difficulty with internet connectivity throughout your stay. We did experience some interruptions from our Internet service provider the week of your stay.

Your feedback has been shared with our IT team, and we are currently looking at ways of improving the internet services further.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

Been there with all my colleagues for dinner in Jan 14, I liked the ambiance, preferably to go with your Beau/Spouse, service was quick and food quality was good.
Would definitely like to visit again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Sankara N, General Manager at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

Dear Neerav S,

Thank you for taking the time to review Sarabi Supper club.

We are delighted that you enjoyed the ambience and setting of Sarabi. I note that you enjoyed Sarabi on the 14th January which was a Tuesday. Every Friday and Saturday we have live music adding to the vibrant atmosphere and every Sunday we showcase a classic movie in the open air for a relaxing Sunday. We hope to welcome you back soon perhaps to enjoy some of the other options at Sarabi.

With Warm Regards

Reviewed February 6, 2014

I was in Nairobi over the weekend of 21 September for the Safari Sevens. Most people would remember that was the weekend of the bomb attack in Westlands and Sankara is a few kilometers away. However, we comfortably continued with our trip throughout. The staff from the front desk, to the restaurants, to the pool side bar, everywhere were fantastic and hospitable. The rooms are nice, airy and comfortable. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The only two challenges I had were with security - they are neither the most polite nor the most subtle when deciding who is a security risk; and the smoking areas are either on 7th or 2nd floor and I was on 4th floor.

The incident I had with security was reported and was promptly and professionally dealt with

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Sankara N, General Manager at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear Kimani K,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review after your stay in September 2013.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us; and that you felt both comfortable and safe at our establishment amid the tragic events at Westgate.

In view of the atrocious attacks, we took immediate action to heighten our already stringent security measures; and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by our security team during this process. You will appreciate that there was a great deal of concern on security immediately after Westgate. Your safety and comfort is our primary concern at all times.

We do look forward to welcoming you back at Sankara Nairobi very soon!