“great place to stay”
Review of Sankara Nairobi

Sankara Nairobi
Ranked #6 of 169 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Amazing hotel in the middle of Westlands so easy to go out and about. The pool and bar on the top floor are fab; service, food and rooms are great and we were always made to feel welcome. It's a great place to stay in Nairobi.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank anyaspell

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Overall, this was a very nice stay for business purposes. It's quite a busy area, so it wouldn't necessarily be my top choice for a vacation/personal stay, but it was a good place for people to come meet us and relatively central (meaning equally long time sitting in Nairobi traffic!) to all our outside meetings. Staff was generally friendly and helpful. Lots of small seating options on the mezzanine which are not too busy in the mornings and we often took a table in the bar for our meetings and just kept ordering coffees - and the coffee and bakery was quite good. The rooftop pool/bar is a nice place for a drink, but defintiely more of a "see and be seen" scene than a pool for exercise. The gym is small but adequate, though a bit warm. Hotel food and drinks are expensive, but that, I guess, is to be expected. It is just across from Westlands Mall which offers lower cost options. The room was nice, well-appointed, very comfortable bed and a mini fridge and safe in standard rooms. I only had a couple of issues during my stay. First, the previous guest had left the safe locked and it took many many calls and visits with maintenance before it was able to be fixed. Second, there was some confusion about our room rate. When booking we specifically asked for the room rate including breakfast. However, after we checked in we were told that breakfast was not included in the room rate. We showed the e-mail correspondence which specified breakfast, but the hotel insisted they would charge us an additional $20 per day for breakfast. I could never eat $20 worth of food first thing in the morning, so we just skipped breakfast. Not a big deal, but the lack of clarity or willingness to stand by the quoted rate was a little annoying. Finally, my last day there I thought I would take advantage of the steam and sauna rooms before getting on the long, dry 22-hour trip home. I was in my towel and heading out of the locker room section and over to the toilet/shower section to shower before heading into the steam room, and was surprised to find a gentleman relieving himself in the women's toilet - with the stall door open! I think the problem here is that the locker/shower/steam room is also the toilet for the rooftop bar and the men's and women's facilities are just across from each other, meaning you get some people who have perhaps had a bit too much to drink wandering into the wrong facility. While I can understand how this might happen, it was a little disturbing and pretty much ruined my plans for a relaxing sauna. I will likely return to this hotel because it is very convenient for business, and the rooms are nice, clean and confortable, but I would suggest that the hotel look into ways to better control for the bar patrons.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back as opposed to overlooking the noisy traffic and construction out front.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank OrangeZoneTraveler
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I stayed here for one night during a stop over to my safari trip. It was a new hotel, less than 2 years i was told. Everything is top grade, bed is extremely comfortable. Food is excellent quality. We have tried the dinner buffet and there were a lot of choices. Dessert was also very good and with a lot of choices.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We had a beautiful experience during our stay at Sankara Nairobi.

The hotel is brand new, and the rooms are excellent in terms of size, luxury and the amenities.

Location is excellent as it is located in Westlands area thus centrally located to all nearby malls and restaurants.

WIFI is included, and the speed is great.

Staff is extremely friendly and welcoming.

Breakfast is very impressive, though they could do better with the hot dishes, as it was mostly pork.

However, I still rate the hotel 5 stars due to the room standards, customer service, and excellent location.

Since I am regular travel to Nairobi, I will not hesitate to always stay at Sankara.

Highly recommended!

1  Thank Imran N
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Went to the spa with a Family member, spent 2,5 hours indulging myself into the good and healthy in a massage and a facial. Booked by phone and was very well received. Apprecited the service, the competent staff, the ambiance. Recomend. Thanks for your great hospitality.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is a fantastic hotel. Great rooms, great staff and good food. I would not hesitate to recommend it for business travel. A world class business hotel.
The staff were extremely proactive. My airport transfer was slightly delayed and there was numerous apologies by many folk for the inconvenience, which was really minor.
The room is spacious, a proper good desk to work at, free broadband and quick room service.
The bar and pool on the top floor is a very chic modern space.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I spent a night there 2 days ago on Saturday 20/7/13 en route for Lagos the next morning. Check in was fast and efficient. Bellboys were on standby for luggage. Rooms were modern and well equipped(for a standard room), beds were super comfortable, pillows were the best I ever had in a hotel. They form any shape you want them to. We each got a basket of fruit in our rooms. Room service was fast. Food was delicious. Check out was fast after a delicious breakfast as early as 6am in the restaurant which had an open plan kitchen. Very modern and clean hotel. Worth every shilling!

1  Thank jumsie06