“Exquisite luxury”
Review of Sankara Nairobi

Sankara Nairobi
Ranked #6 of 169 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Food is out of this world - separate room for desserts! Service is so prompt they attend to you before you ask. Brought me a complimentary cake to my room on the eve of my birthday. Truely top of the list for luxury and decadence.

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Was not staying there and once again ate at the restaurant with three guests. Was put to shame by the speed of the service which marred an otherwise very good selection on the menu. One of my guests was served with the wrong food and got no apology from the manager. We spent over two and a half hours, most of it waiting and each one of us had only ordered a two course meal and two of us had vegetarian dishes. We had to find the waiter to settle the bill.
This was not even a busy night.

For those with better luck- order food the minute you sit down and expect a long wait.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Kufunda
Sankara N, Manager at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Dear Kufunda,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review dated 2nd July 2013.

We're sorry to hear that your experience was not to expectation at our Artisan restaurant and we did not deliver the standards we are accustomed to. Please accept our sincere apologies for the laps in standards.

We have furthermore raised this concern with our food & beverage manager in order to ensure that a corrective plan is put in place to avoid a recurrence in future.

We do hope that afford us an early opportunity to restore your faith in the Sankara Nairobi soon. To this end please do not hesitate to contact us so that we can take care of all your requirements personally.

With kind regards,

The Management.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Spent a few nights here and loved everything about this hotel. The rooms are chic and comfortable. Staff is amazingly helpful. Wifi is free. You are within walking distance to shops and restaurants and the hotel feels overall safe. There is a business centre if you need to do work, as well as a restaurant on the 1st floor. The rooftop bar/pool is a great place to relax at the end of the day.

The small touches (as other reviewers have mentioned) are what make the stay extra special. You will get Kenyan animals made of soapstone every night - a very special touch.

Java House (in the Sarit center) is great for coffee and food. The Sarit center also has an ATM and grocery store - all very cheap.

Definitely would recommend this place!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The hotel is very nice and peaceful. The room was very comfortable and large. The staff was efficient and courteous. I left my Kindle in the room, and the hotel kept it for me .... it was returned safely to me while on Safari in the Mara. The restaurants serve delicious food. I picked up a few good souvenirs from the in house boutique.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MoveableFeast_2012
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stylish well equipped and designed rooms. Good service. Good food.good security. Great place to stay on business and travel. I enjoyed the gear dud buffet breakfast and especially the beds... Could steal that bed and linen and take it all home with me.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Mooks W
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed at the Sankara Hotel over a long-weekend escape and checked into one of their junior suites. Although the suite's aren't really that big, I must confess that the small touches everywhere in the room really did make it worthwhile for me. The bathroom alone was in itself probably worth the extra money. The service was incredibly warm, attentive, friendly and staff seemed to anticipate your needs and were ready with suggestions or advice when needed. The club lounge staff were particularly impressive and helpful in assisting with various requests.The rooftop bar and pool has a very funky atmosphere and seems to attract quite a few of Nairobi's young and vibey after work crowd for a pretty good selection of cocktails. From the rooftop bar you can then head to one of the hotel's restaurants. Personally I enjoyed the Artisan Restaurant and sitting on its terrace enjoying the incredible Kenyan lamb dish.

The hotel is also perfectly situated being close to some great restaurants, bars and clubs and quick access to several shopping centres. My only word of caution in terms of its location would be to allow sufficient time to get to and from the airport as the Nairobi traffic is incredibly bad.

I'll definitely be returning there on my next trip to Nairobi.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Henlo V
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Sankara was a highly recommended hotel to stay, however, was fully booked during my stay in Nairobi, so I ended up going to an adjacent hotel Jacaranda (check out my review before you book there).

I stayed at the other hotel, however, came for my meals to Sankara. They have a good variety of buffet, Japanese and Thai food. Highly recommended with very service.

Room Tip: I just ate at its restaurants.