WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #11 of 161 Hotels in Nairobi
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
“Quite the host”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

I was there for a hosted party and it was quite good. The music was fantastic, the cocktail bitings and drinks were well selected and paired. The service was excellent and helpful. The facilities were pretty clean as well.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Elenor M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

Spent 3 nights in the Sankara Nairobi after a recommendation from a work associate. Loved it. The staff were friendly and efficient, the hotel well designed, the bar on the roof vibrant and the rooms perfectly balanced between size and function. For a business traveller like myself the wifi connection was effortless - staying connected even during power outages in Nairobi. The small sculptures placed next to your bed as a gift creates a very special touch as each night offers a different one, to a total of 6 little animal sculptures of beautiful design.

Only complaint I had was during check-in when I challenged why they needed to lock (pre auth) $500 on my card for my prepaid room. After some discussion they admitted the policy is to lock $50 per night, giving a total of $150 for my stay. We agreed on that amount and my bad experience ended right there. The stay itself was highly enjoyable and I was very satisfied with the hotel.

Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

You always hear about classical hotels in town which i won't mention, but this one seemed to me the best option in town. Probably the location isn't the best in town, but the building has 2 or 3 years old, so it's clean and modern. As all they have security control at entrance. The lobby is small but modern with contemporanean pieces os furniture. My room, a standard one, was big enougth for me. Nice bathroom, with bath tube, separate shower and glass to room. The bed was large and very confortable. Nice desk area. The roof with the pool, bar and restaurant is a nice place to stay for a while before dinner. Gymn, spa are other options offered. The buffet restaurant was very nice and buffet ha excelent presentation. I did enjoyed my breakfast there, with good service and food quality.

Room Tip: make sure you spend some time at rooftop bar and pool.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Pedro P
Pays de la Loire, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Being lucky enough to live in Kenya, I have visited the Sankara several times, for drinks in the superb rooftop bar, lunch and a swim (again on the roof top) and most recently for a Graduation Dinner for the Year 13 students attending St Andrew's School, Turi.
The dinner was held on the first floor in one of the suites. We had a balcony reception, a full dinner service and a disco in an adjoining room.
The staff were efficient and friendly and the service was excellent. The room had been decorated beautifully and it was a joy to watch our students faces as they walked in to their Graduation party.
The food was quite stunning.The student and staff committee who arranged the Dinner had been given the chance to taste the various options beforehand and the Sankara had made every effort to ensure the evening they arranged for us was perfect.
Beautifully presented with a marvellous range to suit all tastes,we were delighted with a buffet which included a full Indian main course selection, a huge variety of salads and a choice of dreamy desserts and ice creams.
I have not stayed overnight at the Sankara but have friends who have stayed here and speak glowingly of the room and the service they received.

Room Tip: The Sankara is in Westlands so a a very central location. I must say I have never noticed noise, so...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Excellent clean rooms with first world setup and service. The traffic in Nairobi can be quite daunting. Good to go back to a nice and relaxing environment. The amenities were as expected from a hotel is this caliber. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Khartoum, Sudan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

I've stayed in the Sankara twice now and both times, it exceed my expectations. Above all, it's the service that stands out. Every single staff member is friendly and helpful and they consistently go above and beyond.

The hotel is beautifully decorated throughout the common areas and the rooms themselves. The rooms I've stayed in have been really nice, with very comfortable beds and completely quiet even though it is in a busy area of town. The only exception to that is when I was put on the 6th floor right below the hotel bar, which I could hear on a Friday night.

I would highly recommend this hotel - it is much nicer than any other I've stayed at in Nairobi.

Room Tip: Avoid the 6th floor on a weekend night as you can hear the hotel bar until about 12:30.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

Just left the Sankara an hour ago. Was there Three days. The place is beautiful, rooms are great but the service is terrible. The staff are either incompetent or just plain rude. Customer care is a lacking concept in most of the staff. This place is too good for such. Otherwise everything else was in order :|

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Sankara N, Manager at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Kehriy,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review dated 25th May 2013 and thank you for compliments about our rooms.

We're sorry to hear that your experience was not to expectation and we did not deliver the standards we are accustomed to. Please accept our sincere apologies for the laps in standards. As part of our commitment to our guests we would value your feedback how we can improve on the services we offer from your recent experience. We look forward to hearing from you at press@sankara.com.

We do hope that afford us an early opportunity to restore your faith in the Sankara Nairobi soon. To this end please do not hesitate to contact us so that we can take care of all your requirements personally.

With kind regards,