WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #11 of 161 Hotels in Nairobi
London, United Kingdom
“Best hotel in Africa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

Certainly the best that I have stayed at in Africa, at any rate. Rooms are comfortable, staff are helpful, food is great, and the rooftop terrace is stunning. Nothing was too much trouble, and I really appreciated the little animal carvings which appeared in the room each day, they were lovely souvenirs of the trip.

I can't fault it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Duncan S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Nairobi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was my second visit to Nairobi and this time round i did not manage to stay at Sankara. I had traveled with my partner and we visited the bar by the rooftop. The band that plays on Friday is amazing, service was supper.

We will definitely visit again when in Nairobi.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jose J
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I usually connect though Nairobi from Paris but my flight always arrives around 8:30PM and I leave the next day at around 9:00AM. I have been doing that for a while (for work), and always staying at the Hilton hotel in town. So, on my last trip I decided to check out hotels suggestions on tripadvisor, that's how I found Sankara hotel.

Well, I was very impressed. I chose Sankara because the reviews were excellent but most importantly the restaurants were still open by the time I reached the hotel late at night. This was crucial to me because I had countless of nights at the Hilton where I was both starving and too exhausted to go out. So the cherry on the cake was that I was able to order breakfast in my room at 5:00AM before continuing my long journey. The only inconvenient is that, it takes a bit longer to get to the airport as the hotel is not in the city-center.

The service was excellent, the room was modern and clean. The food at the hotel restaurant was great.

I only have two regrets. First, it's just a pity that I was not with my other-half. Second, I was there for just 6 hours or so ... what a waste!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

I tagged along with my husband for business and we stayed at the Sankara. The hotel indicates that it is a 5-star hotel on their website and I was pleased when I arrived to see that the hotel lived up to my expectations. We stayed in a spacious Jr. Suite and had access to the Club Lounge which offers free breakfast and a happy hour each day from 5-8. Housekeeping kept the room spotless and made sure the room was comfortable. The pool bar on the top floor was nice and had great food. I took advantage of the spa services and enjoyed every minute of my treatment. When plans changed, we had to extend our time in Kenya. We left the hotel to go on a safari and had to extend our stay at Sankara. At first they told us that they would not be able to accomodate the entire length of time we needed, but by the time we returned from our safari, it was all sorted out. I loved the attention to details that the entire staff seemed to have. The staff in the lounge knew exactly what kind of tea to bring me when I dined in the morning and what types of drinks I liked when I came to the lounge in the evening. Overall it was a pleasant stay and if I return to Nairobi, I refuse to stay anywhere else except Sankara.

Room Tip: Be sure to book a room with access to the Club Lounge to take advantage of the complimentary breakfa...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Kelly H
India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

The hotel is new so great rooms, really great breakfast buffet. Dinner menu is also very good. They dont mind attending to special requests.

They have these 'Sankara Seven' a collection of seven animal stones which you get one on each day. So make sure you stay for 7 days :)

The beds I feel are little too bendy, so may not suit people with bad backs.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Chandan M
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Lovely and very friendly staff, the hotel was very vibrant. When they found out we were on our honeymoon they placed the red roses every where, was really lovely touch curtsey of the lovely staff and the flower shop owner..

Definitely recommend the hotel and it's also in a great location everything is a walking distance or just a short taxi ride away.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

I had a great experience at the Sankara hotel where I stayed on and off over my three weeks in Kenya. Great for business and families alike. The breakfast was out of this world and the Thai food was, wonderful, and unexpected! The location is also good if you are going to be working in Westlands. I highly recommend the Sankara.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business