“The friendliest staff, very welcoming”
Review of Sankara Nairobi

Sankara Nairobi
Ranked #9 of 167 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have stayed at the Sankara on business. Locality I can't really comment as it was perfect for Westgate Mall where we were based. The service of the staff was impeccable and they could not help enough. The Asian restaurant on site was lovely, really tasty and cheaper than the others strangely! The roof top champagne bar by the pool was very relaxing and again the service was top notch. The turn down service included little complimentary animal figurines that were a really nice touch and we were upset that we only got 4 and not the whole 7 as they were great keepsakes.
The only very minor negative comment is the wifi is awful! I had to stand next to my kettle to get a sliver of a signal and I know other rooms suffered the same. Funnily the ipads seemed by ok but the smart phones just couldn't keep reception. That really is the smallest of points, in every other way this was a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: August 2012
There are newer reviews for Sankara Nairobi

Reviewed September 1, 2012

I had the pleasure of a one week stay at the Sankara on a recent business trip. I stay in many hotels both for pleasure and business but this is easily my best on all counts - staff, food, facilities, everything!
The staff were always warm, friendly and chatty, nothing was too much trouble. The bedroom and bathroom were wonderful, I never normally sleep well when I'm away from home but this time I slept like a baby and struggled to get out of my cosy bed each morning. The food was delicious, whether for breakfast, dinner or snacks and the Thai restaurant in the hotel was my favourite. A lovely roof top pool but, although very enticing, I didn't try it out as it is surrounded by people having drinks or food and so I wasn't brave enough to take a dip. It was a shame my family weren't with me as that was the only thing that would have made it perfect but I hope to return with them on holiday in the future. I will be returning to Nairobi on business again and will most certainly stay there again. Thanks to the amazing staff!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 29, 2012

The rooms were excellent, the breakfast was amazing! The rooftop bar/pool area is very upscale. Overall, was an excellent hotel. Very modern, and the rooms had all the amenities you can ask for. Did not eat dinner there, but have a nice couple restaurants nearby. Would be considered a nice higher-end hotel in the United States easily...

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 27, 2012

The exterior and location of the hotel is not the most attractive. There is some construction work going on an the front of the hotel is surrounded by yellow corrugated iron. However, don't let this put you off it improves significantly. My stay at the Sankara was my first having tried many others and being a regular at the Nairobi Serena. There is a good level of security on entering the hotel both by car and on foot. The lobby is spacious, bright and airy. I checked in late at night and perhaps this wasn't the best time as there was only one receptionist on the front desk dealing with multiple issues. This could improve.

The rooms are of reasonable size modern and spotless far more than I was expecting. Large full size picture window although the view from the room was not much to shout about. Decent sized flat screen tv on the wall and a DVD player available. There is a work desk in the corner with multiple power sockets capable of supporting a range of UK and continental plugs. Internet cables are provided but there is also wi-fi in the rooms, and best of all it's free and reasonably stable although applications such as Skype drop out now and then. Good sized bed which was surprisingly comfortable. Turndown service available and free bottled water is well catered for. A pleasant touch is a small gift of a soap stone animal which makes a change from the useless nighttime chocolate. The bathroom was very good compact but not cramped. Separate walk-in shower and bath tub. There is also a good provision of amenities in the bathroom. There's a decent size wardrobe with a good sized safe box. The air con can be quite noisy at night if it's on full which is a nuisance.

There is a roof top pool with good seating area around it with a bar and separate champagne bar. Prices at the bar were reasonable. Didn't try the champagne so can't comment. Unfortunately the place appears to be a fashionable watering hole for noisy youngsters which gets a little irritating. There is a small but modern gym with decent equipment. There is also a spa with a variety of treatments available.

There is a selection of restaurants catering for most tastes and prices were reasonable, however, I thought the buffet breakfast was expensive.

Staff were very helpful and courteous throughout and Eric in the restaurant does a fine job!

The Sankara is well worth a try and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there. I would definitely stay there again and recommend the hotel to others.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Hudson0605
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed at the Sankara Nairobi in August, 2012, as a launching point for a safari vacation. Given that we traveled to/from Nairobi from San Francisco to say that we were exhausted upon our arrival would be an understatement. The Sankara was truly an oasis, and we loved our stay there. The hotel is modern and very comfortable - the rooms are very well appointed and the shower helped revive us. We got massages at the excellent spa and that completed our recovery from the long journey. Security is very present and you always feel comfortable at the Sankara. The rooftop pool and bar are very cool - I only wish we had more time to enjoy them. We enjoyed several of the dining options and all were excellent - the buffets are loaded with way too many options (this is a good thing!) - and you can get fresh items (fish, steak, eggs, etc.) made to order as well. We also tried the pan-Asian restaurant, and it was as good or better than the Thai restaurants we enjoy here at home. A special mention for Johnson in the restaurant who took extra special care of us.

I would definitely recommend a stay at the Sankara. If we are lucky enough to travel to Kenya again, we will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Overall a very good stay here. The rooms are very nice, bed is comfortable, etc. Nothing to complain about at all.

The rooftop bar is very popular and is a great place to get a drink. There are a couple different restaurants with different menus and price points but all offer a very nice dining experience and good food. There is also a great coffee bar/pastry counter for in the morning. The hotel is also in a trendy area, in walking distance to many other dining options.

There is also a nice, if somewhat small, gym on the top floor.

Also, as many are concerned about security in Nairobi: the security here is excellent.

Overall it was a great experience with only two complaints:
- I arranged an airport transfer with the hotel in advance. However, when I arrived there was no one from the hotel there and when I called, they didn't seem to have a clue. Furthermore, they didn't seem to be at all apologetic or offer anything to make amends for their screw up. This left things starting off on a very bad note, however, fortunately everything else went well.
- The hotel rates can get quite pricey, and while the experience is one of the best you can get in Nairobi, there is definitely better value to be had at some of the other business hotels.

One other note: The Deluxe Rooms don't offer much over the Superior Rooms so I wouldn't bother paying to upgrade your room to a Superior one.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank patrickdward
Sankara N, Manager at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Dear Patrickdward,

Thank you for your review dated 15th August 2012 and taking the time to write this review.

First and foremost thank you very much for your compliments about our rooftop bar, restaurants, menu offerings and our gym.

We are very sorry to hear about the inconvenience caused on your airport transfer and apologize for the difficulties experienced. However, we do assure you that we have raised this with our transport provider in order to avoid a recurrence.

We would also like to assure you that the entire team at Sankara Nairobi care deeply about our guests’ convenience and comfort and also appreciate your feedback in order for us to improve on the services that we offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Sankara Nairobi.

With Kind regards,

The Management.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights on business. Service was great. Staff very attentive. However the lobby feels eerily quiet and deserted!! Rooms were tastefully decorated however bathrooms (specially the shaving mirrors) are not very well placed. The upstairs bar area is very nice to have an evening drink and the service was impecable!! Would definately stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Dear Kunal16,

Thank you for your review dated August 15th, 2012 and taking the time to write this positive review.

Thank you for your lovely compliments about our rooms, staff and service. We have tried as much as possible to combine five-star international standards with personal service and authentic flavour of the new Africa.

The Team at Sankara appreciate your feedback in order for us to improve on the services that we offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Sankara Nairobi soon.

With Kind regards,