1,054 results
All reviewsrooftop barartisan restauranttop floorbusiness hotelthe club loungewestlands areagreat businesssarit centrefirst floorbusiness travelmodern hotelwestgate mallfive star hotelexcellent staybreakfast buffet ismain restaurantshankar
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Stayed for a quick business trip. Thought this hotel was fantastic, staff are friendly with an excellent quality of service. The room I stayed in was really clean with a good level of furnishings, separate shower which i much prefer. Also internet access was very good & free (which it should be in all hotels, but often isn't).

It was my first trip to Nairobi for a couple of years and just couldn't believe how great the hotel was, previous places I'd stayed seemed very staid, so it could be all hotels have improved.

Didn't get to see the gym or pool, but hopefully on my next trip. Hotel is located at the end of a street with a couple of decent bars which is a bonus.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank dave2105
Reviewed May 21, 2012

This is an excellent hotel. If you look at my prior reviews, you will find that I seldom give any hotel a 4 or 5. However, this hotel (based on the standards that I have seen and experienced in Kenya) deserves a 4 1/2. The following is a brief summary of the quality of this hotel.

Safety: This is on the minds of most travelers from Europe and the States. The drive up to the hotel opens your eyes to the security of this hotel. With the steel bars that rise from the ground to keep unwanted traffic out of the parking area and the metal detector at the entrance to the hotel, along with all the other security measures, it is quite a comforting feeling to know you can relax.

Registration and check out: Very simple. Did not take me long at all. The bellman was very informative regarding all that was available within the hotel.

Room: Excellent. The room was high quality and beautiful. It would be considered very nice in the States. Complimentary water bottles abound all around the room. Great shower. Enjoyed the TV speakers in the bathroom. Bed was extremely comfortable. My normal pet peeve is the pillows. I dread sleeping on hotel pillows. These pillows are one of the very few exceptions to the norm of hotel pillows. They were very comfortable. The air conditioner worked great. Slept soundly.

Restaurant: If there is any area where there needs to be improvement is in the menu selection at the restaurant. It leans towards being oriental type food but not exactly. This should be cleaned up a bit. The buffet that is available is very good however, at the price, can be too expensive to be reasonable. The deserts, however, are exceptional. Service is great.

Neighborhood: Across the one of the streets that borders the property, is a market area where you can buy some things at reasonable prices. There is also a mall down the street that is nice.

Location: If you have worked to do downtown, this is the place to stay. If you have someone to drive you around, then stay here anyway, whether or not you have work downtown. Being downtown, the biggest issue is the traffic. Whenever you plan to go somewhere via vehicle, plan to add extra time to your trip due to the terrible traffic around the hotel.

An area that seemed to me to be a bit confusing and a little disappointing was the confusion on what was included and what wasn't included with my room. I was upgraded to the "Club Level" floor and told that the spa, exercise room and the private dining area was available to me due to staying on the Club Level floor. However, when I went to the private dining area, the lady at the front desk said that I was not allowed to eat there because I was "only an upgrade" and had not paid the full price to be on the Club Level floor. This was disappointing, especially after I had been given a tour of the entire place upon my arrival. However, this didn't spoil anything for me.

Previously, I had stayed at the Tribe Hotel. It is also a very nice place to stay. However, without saying anything more about it, when I return to Nairobi, I will stay at the Sankara. It is a better fit for my tastes.

Room Tip: Request a room on the Club Level. If you get upgraded to this level, be sure to find out if you get all the benefits with staying on this floor. Also, the higher up you are, the less noise you hear from the streets. Also, the air conditioning was excellent. I could get the room as cold as I wanted it. I do not know if this is true on the other floors.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Volleyball4
Reviewed May 19, 2012

The restaurants, the rooms, minute details all at par with the best on the globe. Keep it up, viva Kenya another feather in our cap!!

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Nairobi was just a stop over to head to a safari trip. The stay at Sankara was a good surprise. I was really impress to see a hotel like this in Nairobi. The style is modern Afric chic, very well done. They have a nice roof top swimming pool where you can also have lunch.the cuisine is not extraodinary but its probably the best you can find there. The rooms are are confortable and nice.
Expect to see many business people.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 17, 2012

i stayed in sankara for a week during a conference. The hotel is very modern, luxurious. The rooms were beautiful with a nice view of the city. staff was very friendly. Dinner was well done. Breakfast buffee was good, there was a lot of variety to eat. Nice bar at the roof and at 1st floor, with entertainment.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business