New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #11 of 161 Hotels in Nairobi
London, United Kingdom
“OVERPRICED”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

After checking out Sankara online i was in love with this hotel and set on staying there when i would be in Nairobi. However, my brother ended up staying there and i stayed at a friends house down the road. This was due to the fact that the hotel do not accept pre-payments. A customer from work tried to book us in to Sankara from London as a present to me and my brother, however they would only accept payment in person which was a HUGE INCONVENIENCE. This meant that my brother had to pay for the hotel bill, so he only booked 1 room so i stayed with a friend who lives next to Westgate shopping mall. They should be more clear about this on the website, although i have been all over the world and its never been an issue in any other hotels and i've travelled america, south america, asia and the middle east. Infact, many places i have stayed at demand a full payment 7 days prior to arrival. My customer from work tried to book us 2 rooms and pay the full payment to the hotel before we arrive so everything would be sorted and any additional costs (for food etc) we would pay ourselves but they refused saying they would take full payment on check out and in person. very inconvenient and thoughtless.

Although the hotel is nice, it's overpriced for its location. Its close to the club gypsy and malls and a bank but the area is still dangerous. My friends live a 60 second drive away from the hotel yet we were followed home by thugs (known for hijacking) around 11.30pm and had to speed around the area to lose them before being safe enough to go home. The hotel itself is very safe and secure with alot of security inside and out. Room was also nice, clean and modern!

The rooftop was pretty, although the pool is quite small. Looked nicer on the website yet neverless a nice place to chill in the evenings. Staff were generally friendly apart from one man on the rooftop, possibly the manager as he was in a suit. It was a week night and we had popped in to see my brother who was staying on the 3rd floor and have some shisha on the rooftop. As it was a wednesday night none of us were up for drinking so we ordered one shisha and a soft drink. The man was obviously not happy that we did not want to order alcoholic drinks and said "no drinks? i will be tempted to snatch the shisha away from you" before storming away, which i thought as an employee of the hotel it was rude, disrespectful and unprofessional towards us as guests. He had no right to tell us what we should or shouldn't have ordered or to speak to us like that.

Also, when we payed the final bill the waiter took so long in delivering the change back to us we ended up getting fed up and just leaving as it was getting so late.

Also, on check out my brother was charged way more than the prices listed on the website. However, by this time we were just fed up and wanted to get to the airport to catch a flight home.

Overall nice hotel but still OVERPRICED. for this type of price i would recommend u go to Tribe as its bigger and has more to offer.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank angel4life

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

I had read various reviews on Sankara most of which spoke highly of the hotel and as such I went with high expectations. I must say I was not dissappointed on ANY level. The check in process was smooth, the hotel room absolutely fabulous. I do particularly like the fact that I could take a bath and watch / listen to the news or a movie at the same time. The food I felt was quite pricey (rightfully) given the ambience. But since I am very familier with Nairobi, I ate outside of the hotel all the time. The breakfast (approx $30) was worth every cent. The only thing missing was oatmeal. But other than that, it was PERFECT. I loved the fact that they gave 4 hours for breakfast time unlike other hotels which give 3hours or less. The gym, spa, pool, rooftop bar were all excellent. The general staff attitude was very good, always willing to help and act fast upon request. The hotel is situated in a very nice place right infront of the Sarit Centre Mall. Westgate Mall is also a walking distance so you could easily walk to the Art Cafe or for some shopping in these malls without "fear". Night life activities were also plenty, either at the roof top bar or in the very nearby spots like Bacchu's or Havana (again walking distance).

Overall, it is excellent for business, family or couples holidays. I would even dare recommend it for a honeymoon destination. Sankara definately deserves the listing on the Conde Naste 2011 "hot" list of hotels !!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AMigwi
Onsala
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2011

I stayed 10 nights and I have no complaint. All staff members did their job and the hotel is just great. Nice design, comfortable beds, excellent breakfast, great gym and a nice bar on the top.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank MarinaHOnsala
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2011

In general this is a really great hotel in Nairobi Westlands. The people are friendly, the rooms are great and the hotel has an awesome rooftop pool and bar overlooking Nairobi.

Unfortunately, they seem to have some back office and staff training problems. In general it felt like after the first day the service deteriorated. During the stay we had double billing problems, trouble with the wireless access, video on demand simply does not work, although offered as a service. On a number of occasions the staff, although always ready with a smile, seemed to lack a level of training and professionalism one expects from this type of hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2011

I stayed at the Sankara Hotel on two occasions in April 2011. On the last day of my first visit, i left some items in my room. My cell phone was left along with other items. I had left a suitcase with the hotel. I was returing for my second stay ten days later. I assumed my items would be safely returned. When I returned for my second stay I inquired about any items left in my room. They called housekeeping and very casually said only some clothes had been left, no cell phone. I was bothered by their lack of understanding. A day later I recieved a Welcome Back Letter stating that if they could do anything to please inform Guest Service Manager. It Had the name, but no email or telephone number. I called the front desk and ask them if I could talk to Guest Service Manager. I did not get a call from the guest service manager or the front desk. The next day I ask the front desk about the manager, he stated that she was busy. I went to work, but left my number, and said if she could please call me, no call. I came back from work and went to the front desk, finally I got to see the GSManager. I explain the incident and that I wanted them to check the records log and talk to the person who had entered my room. She assured me she would investigate and get back to me. Never got a call or any resolution on this matter. Very expensive $225 a night, on the weekend alot of working girls at the rooftop pool. Anyone can get in, just pay a cover charge. If you happen to invite one of the girls to your room, add another $75 dollars. They wont even tell you about the charge, they will just slip it into your bill.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank truthful71
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2011

Very pleased with this relatively new hotel - excellent service, well equipped and spacious rooms, excellent location, good food. They also have the Angsana Spa in the hotel, which I was extremely pleased about - it used to be my favorite when living in Sri Lanka, and it really lived up to its expectations. The roof top pool is great, and the loungy bar up next to it very nice.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Lagos, Nigeria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2011

Great hotel, great service. Sankara is located at a very prime location in Westlands area in Nairobi. The rooms are very modern and nice and the staff is very helpful. Most of all it has an amazing spa.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business