WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Sankara Nairobi

Sankara Nairobi
Ranked #11 of 161 Hotels in Nairobi
Onsala
“Sleek hotel with wonderful rooftop bar and good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2011

I stayed 10 nights and I have no complaint. All staff members did their job and the hotel is just great. Nice design, comfortable beds, excellent breakfast, great gym and a nice bar on the top.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank MarinaHOnsala

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2011

In general this is a really great hotel in Nairobi Westlands. The people are friendly, the rooms are great and the hotel has an awesome rooftop pool and bar overlooking Nairobi.

Unfortunately, they seem to have some back office and staff training problems. In general it felt like after the first day the service deteriorated. During the stay we had double billing problems, trouble with the wireless access, video on demand simply does not work, although offered as a service. On a number of occasions the staff, although always ready with a smile, seemed to lack a level of training and professionalism one expects from this type of hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2011

I stayed at the Sankara Hotel on two occasions in April 2011. On the last day of my first visit, i left some items in my room. My cell phone was left along with other items. I had left a suitcase with the hotel. I was returing for my second stay ten days later. I assumed my items would be safely returned. When I returned for my second stay I inquired about any items left in my room. They called housekeeping and very casually said only some clothes had been left, no cell phone. I was bothered by their lack of understanding. A day later I recieved a Welcome Back Letter stating that if they could do anything to please inform Guest Service Manager. It Had the name, but no email or telephone number. I called the front desk and ask them if I could talk to Guest Service Manager. I did not get a call from the guest service manager or the front desk. The next day I ask the front desk about the manager, he stated that she was busy. I went to work, but left my number, and said if she could please call me, no call. I came back from work and went to the front desk, finally I got to see the GSManager. I explain the incident and that I wanted them to check the records log and talk to the person who had entered my room. She assured me she would investigate and get back to me. Never got a call or any resolution on this matter. Very expensive $225 a night, on the weekend alot of working girls at the rooftop pool. Anyone can get in, just pay a cover charge. If you happen to invite one of the girls to your room, add another $75 dollars. They wont even tell you about the charge, they will just slip it into your bill.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank truthful71
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2011

Very pleased with this relatively new hotel - excellent service, well equipped and spacious rooms, excellent location, good food. They also have the Angsana Spa in the hotel, which I was extremely pleased about - it used to be my favorite when living in Sri Lanka, and it really lived up to its expectations. The roof top pool is great, and the loungy bar up next to it very nice.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Lagos, Nigeria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2011

Great hotel, great service. Sankara is located at a very prime location in Westlands area in Nairobi. The rooms are very modern and nice and the staff is very helpful. Most of all it has an amazing spa.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Aakaash
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2011

I travel extensively for work and have done so for the past 15 years. Hence I've seen "hundreds" of hotels in many different locations. Admittedly I tend to stay in the chain hotels such as IC, Hilton or Marriott, mainly to limit the research effort and since I should know what to expect (although that is clearly a hit and miss between the member hotels...)

I' d never heard of Sankara before and it was booked through one of our foreign offices. I assumed it'd be part of an Asian chain or what have you.

OK. They messed up the pick-up from the airport. But that was really the only let down during our stay.From then on it was stella performance all around.

The standard is second to none (alright except perhaps for some of the high-high end and select Dubai hotels). The only structural thing I reacted to was the fact that the ceiling was pretty low. I'm not even 5 10 and I could reach the ceiling with my hand.

Food selection for both lunch and dinner very good. I had breakfast in my room so cannot judge the breakfast buffet. What I got was delicious.

The gym is of a high hotel standard, too.

So the "bare" necessities are all covered from a pretty spoiled business travellers point of view.

What really makes the hotel outstanding though is the staff (and I presume management, I couldn't always tell who is who). I don't ever think I've been to a hotel where every single person was this friendly, from the maid through to the front desk management. Highly professional at all times, but still with a good sense of humour, approachable and always trying to help and make your stay better. I believe I had a similar experience once in the Conrad Bali, but nothing else comes to mind right now.

I don't get to go to Kenya very often. So now I'm only disappointed Sankara is not a worldwide chain after all....

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank travelmonkey07
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2011

All round, a low stress experience, reliable service, and fantastic decor. The Sankara mixes Asian design influences with local African elements and creates a unique hotel experience - something which is often missing in a world of bland and functional utilitarianism.

My flight was early and I took less than 10 minutes to clear customs and had no baggage, but the driver was already there. The car was in top class, and the driving perfectly safe. Check-in was efficient - I wanted a room on the garden side, away from the road which wasn-t available, so while I had some dinner they made one available. Dinner was good, service was fine, choice was sufficient. It's probably not the best food in Africa, but it was good enough not to feel the need to go out.

There were problems with the Aircon in my room, but this was fixed in less than 10 minutes. The power did go out a few times, but not for more than a minute or so at a time. The bar on the roof was great, as was the pool. And the gym facilities were excellent - the staff even called me in my room to see if I wanted a private session as they had some time free.

On the occasions I left the hotel, taxi's (eco-taci's at that) were quickly organised, and were clean. They also waited for me to take me back to the hotel.

All-in-all, a memorable visit, if for nothing else than the fact everything worked, and it was stress free.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business