1,054 results
All reviewsrooftop barartisan restauranttop floorbusiness hotelthe club loungewestlands areagreat businesssarit centrefirst floorbusiness travelmodern hotelwestgate mallfive star hotelexcellent staybreakfast buffet ismain restaurantshankar
Reviewed February 3, 2011

Went for dinner to Sankara. Food took over an hour to come. Very average food. Service was excruciatingly slow. They have lots of staff, but they do not really know what they are doing. The kitchen is still very slow. The sommelier is excellent. Good wine selection.

I would not eat at Sankara. Walk outside, and there are a myriad of excellent restaurants in Westlands that offer better food, service and price.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 30, 2011

First let me explain that I work in the 5 star hospitality industry and this is a review from an industry professional to help you from making the same mistake I did (booking into this hotel). After travelling around Africa and staying in some rough places, my wife and I decided to treat ourselves to one night of luxury before heading back to London. We booked the Sankara thinking it looked great on the website, and it lived up to its images as it is a stunning hotel. However, once you get past the design, the hotel is a disaster. Check in took 20 minutes even though we were the only guests checking in and the receptionist forgot to give us our passports back, we had to ask for them. The room we were given had a gift for another guest with a note adressed to someone that wasn't us. The sink in the room did not drain and the DVD player in the room did not work. Once they fixed the DVD we settled in for a relaxing evening of watching movies, however the power went out 12 times in 30 minutes. No apologies were made to guests or any explanation. We then went for dinner in their South East Asian restaurant where the food was absolutely inedible. Service was terrible and the staff pay no attention to the guests and you must flag someone down to order a drink or anything. Then expect to wait 20 minutes!!

The following day before we went out for the day we spoke with the duty manager about these issues and she apologized and offered to take off the dinner from the previous night and offer us a drink when we returned. We were happy with this gesture and she also gave us late check out as our flight wasn't until 11:45pm. We had a spa treatment at their spa (AMAZING!!!) The only thing good about this hotel is their Spa!! One of the best massages ever! However, upon checkout we were charged for minibar things we never had and the food from the previous night was still on our bill. Manager checking us out took ages to sort out the issues and was not very friendly about our problems!

For 300$ there are much better places to stay than Sankara!!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank londontravellingbugs
SAN_NBO, Director at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2011

Dear Londontravellingbugs

I would like to thank you for your comments dated 30th January 2011.

I would like to reassure you that we take each comment received from our guests personally and seriously. As a newly opened hotel, our systems and facilities can sometimes be subject to setbacks. However, please be assured that we are committed to resolving these setbacks to ensure that our service and facilities are of the standards our guests expect.

I would like to take this opportunity to address some of the problems you experienced during your stay with us:

1. As a standard we strive to check-in all our guests within five minutes of arrival. To this end we sincerely apologise for the unnecessary delay in checking you in.We have since reviewed some of the technology we use, and have introduced some changes which we believe will considerable enhance our check in experience.

2. On receiving your complaint about the DVD player, a guest service agent and IT assistant both attended to the request and satisfactorily resolved the issue within ten minutes of receiving the call.

3. It is unfortunate that you experienced the inconvenience of power blackouts on the night of your stay which affected the entire hotel. On the night in question, the area was affected by an extraordinary number of electricity fluctuations. Due to the constant fluctuations experienced in the area, our standby generators kept starting and stopping repeatedly over a short period of time. This resulted in the repeated fluctuations that you experienced. We have since changed the settings of our generators, so that should this problem reoccur, the same situation will not happen again.

4. We appreciate that your meal at Muhibbah, our South East Asian restaurant, was not to your liking and we take your feedback wholeheartedly. Our F&B Manager did offer to waive 50% of the bill for the menu items that were unsatisfactory. Noting that this was not acceptable, our team offered and subsequently waived all food items from the bill.

5. Understanding that you’re experience was less than expected our team offered you a complimentary late check-out as well as access to our Club Lounge for complimentary evening drinks and use until your departure. The meal which was charged to your credit card was refunded and cleared on January 29th and a follow up email with the transaction slip was sent through to you for ease of mind.

I would like to assure you that Sankara Nairobi is committed to meeting your needs. I sincerely hope that you will give us an opportunity to offer you an experience that exceeds your expectations in the future.

Warm Regards,

Rohan Patel
Director

Reviewed January 23, 2011

The staff at Sankara are incredible and the hotel itself is bliss! I arrived at the Hotel after three weeks on a safari so to say I was dishevelled and smelly would be an understatement. The check in staff could not have been friendlier and more accomodating so straight away I was one happy taveller. But then I was taken to my room which exceeded all expectations. Not only was the room immaculate and but my bed was so soft and comfortable that I almost fell asleep straight away! The shower also was one of the best I have had. I walked up to the pool bar where staff and other patrons alike were courteous and friendly and happily read my book and sipped cocktails - HEAVEN!! I ordered breakfast in my room and I have to also rave about the presentation and quality. The serving was HUGE. After two days I was regretting my decision to spend two days at the Fairview and regret it I did. My room at the Fairview was pokey and the bed uncomfortable. I am only 160cm and my feet hung over the end. The staff were lazy and not particularly friendly and even though the grounds at the Fairview are beautiful I missed everything about the Sankara. Thank you to all the staff there that made my stay a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 17, 2011

Went here with my friends for a coffee in the evening by the poolside. I was very impressed by the design of the hotel in general, however the service we recieved was terrible!!!
It took almost 30 minutes to be approached by one of the waiters, we ordered drinks which took over 20 minutes to arrive and im walking a milkshake, nothing overly fancy!!! The hotel was not even busy at this time, so not too sure what was wrong with their service!!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 16, 2011

Very well located hotel, with beautiful rooms, extremely friendly people, excellent food and perfect service

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business