“Access to a part of Nairobi unavailable to outsiders”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Kibera Tours

Kibera Tours
Ranked #24 of 196 Tours in Nairobi
More attraction details
Owner description: info@kiberatours.com.
Kansas City, Kansas
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Access to a part of Nairobi unavailable to outsiders”
Reviewed May 25, 2012

I arranged this tour over the phone after seeing it in the Rough Guide and checking it out on the web. I opted to have them pick me up at my hotel at rates slightly higher than I would have paid by getting a taxi myself. I was appreciative of the convenience and happy to spend my money with them. One of the most valuable parts of the tour is the access. As a female traveling on my own, I simply would not have gone into Kibera without a local. As much as for being there, I felt I was paying for the insider local knowledge when the guide carefully and thoroughly answered all of my many questions. I didn't mind being offered the opportunity to buy small craft items to support a cause. I was happy to pick up a few souvenirs and spend my money here instead of a big shop. There was not a security guard, but I did not feel that one was needed. My shoes got really mucky. I was glad I brought my camera. I wish I would have brought a little more cash for purchases and tipping.

Visited May 2012
2 Thank JoDp

• Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Valuable tour, recommended to anyone staying in Nairobi”
Reviewed January 31, 2012

I did this tour following the good review provided by the Rough Guide; it was an informative and very valuable experience. It was also one of the few occasions I had during my two-week stay in Kenya (mostly devoted to safari tours) to meet with local people, all of them engaged in improving the living conditions of Kibera residents in one way or another. Frankie is a very good guide who can provide interesting insight in many aspects of the history, economy and society of Kibera. I felt safe all through the tour. I would definitely recommend Kibera Tours to all those who plan to spend some days in Nairobi.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank gmonte
Baden-Baden
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“Where are the 30 $ going? Why do you pay extra for the guide?”
Reviewed December 15, 2011

I booked this tour over the phone and I met up at the Java Coffee House. There is no security guard as stated on the website and my tour guide Philip repeatedly mentioned that he is not getting any money for the tour and that he depends on tips and that he is starting a project himself (...) and that he is trying to get $$$ from tourists to do it :) He also asked if I could invite him over to Europe and if he can do a day tour with me the next day for 60$ - that was within 30 Minutes of the beginning of the tour. While on the tour our first stop was the showroom of a HIV-Support place that has girls/women make stuff and sell it. Certainly the HIV is bad but if you sign up for a tour which costs a lot of money (half-month's average Kenyan wage per person) it isn't nice if you are expected to buy something within the first half an hour. The next showroom which had nothing to do with any humanitarian project was a couple of old guys making accessories and souvenirs for tourists - same thing - trying to sell you stuff there. At the end of the tour we sat in someone's living room and the guide told me for the third time that he is not paid and I gave him a 3$ tip. He looked sad and I gave him 6$. I should not have done it after paying 30$ for a short tour that would cost 10$ in Europe.
We then walked back and my guide noted that he needs to top up his phone ($).

I'm not shocked about this tour, the guide, the crazy price they charge, the switch and bait tactics or anything that happened. I'm shocked that the Western Tourists must have been acting like they are back home, by overpaying for everything several times.
The tour is emotional for wealthy people from the West and this is used by the tour to milk the cash cow.
Whether or not a tour like this is safe anyway highly questionable in itself.

Conclusion: If you charge exorbitant prices, deliver exceptional service and security and do an actual tour and not a sales tour.

Visited December 2011
13 Thank manuelrauch
Toronto, Canada
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Great experience and safe, but can be disturbing.”
Reviewed October 27, 2011

I took my fiancee on this tour and we loved it. She had never seen a slum before, and so this was a real eye opening experience for her.

I have been to a lot of slums, and this is a good "beginner slum" being both safe and relatively clean while also still clearly being a slum.

We felt completely safe the whole time, and our guide Fred was knowledgeable and spoke good English.

The only downside is you do get taken to a place where you feel compelled to buy knicknacks from the locals. Still, 1 knicknack for a dollar and no further pressure is not a huge deal.

Make sure you bring sturdy shoes that can be cleaned! A year later I still have some Kibera mud on my sneakers.

1 Thank gdover
Vienna
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great tour with great guides”
Reviewed August 24, 2011

The slum tour was a really good experience. The guides were reliable, friendly, funny and I had some great talks with them. I learned a lot from seeing the people live the way they do in the slum and it's an experience that makes you realize how fortunate you really are but also how people who have so little seem to try to make the most out of whatever they have. I encountered things where we in the western world can certainly learn from, such as re-using our own waste to make fuel! I highly recommend the tour to anyone who has the time. You will learn and enjoy.

Visited August 2011