“A perfect getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Swara Plains Acacia Camp
Ranked #26 of 185 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
“A perfect getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Decided to have one night out of Nairobi. Arrived after lunch and were greeted by very friendly staff who made sure we were settled. Before the end of the day there was time for a quick trek around the plains spotting a few animals on the way. Dinner was a wonderful surprise and tasted delicious! Patrick kept service fantastic and always with a smile. We retreated to a nice warm campfire at the end of the day.
Waking up early the next morning for another walk, we chanced across a few giraffe and eland before heading back for a taste and breakfast at the time of our choosing. Before lunch we decided to go on a game drive this time: we saw everything that I believe you could on the Swara plains! Head towards the polo ground if you get a chance - you won't be disappointed! We were so lucky that we even chanced across 2 cheetah! This is rare so we were very very lucky. All in all a fantastic trip with outstanding food and service.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DJ0881

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I have spent two long weekends at Swara Plains - Acacia Camp. As we're volunteering in Nairobi for many months, we needed something close and affordable- a peaceful place to enjoy animals and quiet. This is it!

Swara Plains was close enough to ride our small motorbike with a backpack and camp. We used the motorcycle to explore the vast natural area, acres and acres of animals and amazing birds. Hiking is easy there too, and we enjoyed some long walks with spectacular views (away from the cement factory of course :)

The staff are kind and efficient, and everything was clean. The food, (though higher priced than we would normally spend), is very delicious! Be sure to catch the generator hours for charging electronics- we were a little behind on this since we are used to power 24/7.

Overall, I highly recommend visiting this unique spot!

p.s. No, cheetahs are not hanging off every tree, but look into the history of this place with it's past two cheetah residents- there is a children's book called "How it was with Dooms" that is extraordinary. Then they made a movie about it called "Duma" - also worth checking out! I heard there were three cheetahs encountered not too long ago, so the photos on the website aren't all that off. Have to stay optimistic you might catch a glimpse!

Room Tip: Camping is the best- but too wet in the rainy season. Choose a banda far from the restaurant for a q...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sandy, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I have noticed a number of reviews that are very clearly NOT describing Acacia Camp, Swara Plains - but Acacia Camp, Magadi Road, Nairobi.

The latter is much nearer the city than Swara Plains and I was erroneously directed there when I was supposed to be going to Swara Plains....

I immediately recognised the photos and the descriptions on the most recent reviews as the camp at Magadi Road.

There are no dormitories etc. at Swara Plains.....

When I arrived at Magadi Road I very quickly cottoned on it was not the place I had seen and booked on the internet and after talking to staff they rang me a taxi to get to Swara Plains instead.

I feel compelled to set the record straight as I had such a lovely time at Swara Plains. On my arrival I told them of going to the 'wrong' Acacia Camp and they told me this happens regularly.

They have been at Swara Plains for very many years and have tried to stop the Magadi outfit from using the name Acacia Camp - to no avail.

There is a big difference between the two camps and although nothing wrong - from what I have seen - at Magadi Road, I preferred to go a little more 'up-market' on this occasion.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Cologne, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Very rustic, isolated and friendly staff..its teeming with lots and lots of birds and flowering plants..There are dorms, private rooms and space for tents as well..The food is good and the private rooms are basic but value for money..The bar which doubles up as a TV lounge is lively in the evenings and a great place to chill out and socialize with other travelers and locals..The mornings are most beautiful and perfect for photographing. Walk around a bit and you might sight some wild life and of course gorgeous birds.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Ukunda, Coast, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I liked this place and was delighted by the rustic charm and sense of isolation you get so close to Nairobi. The only real eyesore is the cement plant next door which limits your photography angles!

The main criticism I have is their use of cheetah photos and motifs on their website. I was told on arrival by a Kenyan staffer that they'd had a pet cheetah that died; as for wild cheetahs, no one, including the English lady who manages the accommodation, knew anything about their existence. It is not impossible that cheetahs could be around, since they can squeeze through tiny gaps in fences, etc, and like other cats are highly enterprising about getting kills. But don't come here expecting to see them perched on anthills as you would in the Masai Mara.

Honesty is always appreciated in advertising, and I would have to say that Swara is somewhat misleading in their promotion of the place.

I camped for a very reasonable US$12 which included the conservation fee. The rooms are expensive going by the price list, but on arrival I was offered a room for a deeply discounted rate of 2,500 shillings, about $30. So use your bargaining power, especially in low season.

Meals are definitely overpriced. US$25 is too high for a set dinner, although breakfast at $10 seems more in line with the other mid-range lodges in Kenya.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Sandy, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

After 8 weeks of overlanding on a truck through South and East Africa, I needed a few days peace and relative luxury before setting off on the next lap!

Swara Plains was all I could have wished for...... very peaceful and relaxed, lovely surroundings, a comfy bed (much needed after 8 weeks on a sleepmat at age 57!), great food - and especially so as I am a coeliac on a strict gluten-free diet.....

And above all - lovely people who, like everywhere else in Africa - were genuinely great and willing to put themselves out for you!

Walked around for hours in the early morning savouring the wildlife, came back to the camp for breakfast and relaxed with a book and coffee, more walking after lunch, then off for a sun-downer with Raine after dinner.....

Hugs and kisses all round when I left and very fond memories a year later.......

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here one night to get away from Nairobi and it was absolutely fantastic!!! I can't wait to go back. We went for several walks and saw gazelles, giraffes, ostriches, and all different types of birds. The staff were really great- friendly, relaxed and not over-attentive. The little huts/ rooms were great. The food was delicious and they catered well to vegetarians. The only trouble we had was that they didn't have any rooms with a double bed available- despite the fact it seemed we were the only couple there.
If you want to get out of Nairobi, or if you have a night or two to kill in Nairobi, come to this place. It's a perfect place to relax and enjoy nature. It's also very reasonably priced with full-board, especially compared to so many over-priced, not that great places in Kenya.
When travelling down Mombasa road, the turnoff is at "Kahama hotel".

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nairobi
Fairview Hotel
The Emakoko
The Emakoko
#2 of 185 in Nairobi
5.0 of 5 stars 150 reviews

Been to Swara Plains Acacia Camp? Share your experiences!