“We would definitely stay here again!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Upper Hill Campsite

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Upper Hill Campsite
You added Upper Hill Campsite to your Saves list
Ranked #51 of 181 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
“We would definitely stay here again!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed here for 3 days and we felt very much at home and welcome. Jesse and Rich did an amazing job in building the place as well as in taking care of their guests. They provided us with information about things to do in Nairobi and Jesse patiently answered all our questions regarding safety. She organized our shuttle bus down to and even booked our accommodation in Arusha.

We booked a double room (#1). It was nice and clean. Although a little noisy when people leave early (sometimes before dawn). Apart of that we were very happy whith the place. The food was delicious, all employees were very friendly and outgoing, and we felt very safe.
The cab from the city center was about KSH1000.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rebekka_Troller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Mombasa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

First place that we stayed at when we landed in Kenya. Jessie is one of the owners, and she is a vibe! She will keep you entertained with story after story, if you give you a chance, of all the crazy things that travelers have done. I read the negative review of the backpackers, and I can state that there is hot water, however it is only between certain times (6-10 am & pm) and in the outside showers. There is an inside shower, but its powered by a solar heater, and does not keep that much hot water.

My only complaint would be the mattresses, some are more comfy than others... but there are lots more in the cup

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Amazing hot showers, good food, reasonable prices for accomodation, food and bar, comfy beds, very clean showers,toilets etc... What else could you ask for? The owner Jessie is a star! She'll help you out and give you advice on al, things Kenyan. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place... Would be good if they got some wifi happening though!

Room Tip: The cabins are good with really comfy beds!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bradford, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I planned to stay at Upper Hill for five nights but left after two. The buildings and location were great, with very nice hot showers outside and comfortable beds in the tents. However, the food was inconsistent and a little pricey, and I had two major problems with this accommodation. First, I asked for a second blanket as a result of being a little cold the first night and was informed that they had no spares and would not take one out of another tent for me, despite the fact that only 2 of the (roughly 15) tents were occupied and it was 9PM at night. Second, I was woken up early both mornings by staff carrying out construction, and the consistent barking of three or four dogs, one of which was fenced in. I appealed to the staff at the reception desk to deal with the dog but they were unwilling. At this point, I asked to speak to the manager, who was then unavailable and un-contactable on her phone for the next two hours meaning that I was unable to communicate my disappointing experience to her before I left. This place has a lot of potential, but they need to improve their customer service and control the dogs better.

Room Tip: Big tents are only 200 KSH more than small tents. Avoid anywhere outside because of dogs!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I've stayed at Upper Hill repeatedly over the last 3 years (about 5 times) and it feels like coming home every time! Jesse is amazing and even woke us up one day when we slept through our alarm and had to catch a bus! I will return every time I head to Nairobi. Only downfall is the lack of Wifi.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alissaaa
Norwich, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

This was my second stay at Upperhill, and it felt like home away from home straight away. The staff are great - helpful and friendly. I stayed in the dorm - clean and comfortable - very good value. Good food, well-priced. Clean facilities. Good security. The communal lounge and the bar provide a fantastic social scene, where I met some great people and had some great times!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Madrid, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

during my time there I felt that they were looking too much at the money, they charge you for everything, also no internet in the place, the cabins are small and cery budget...had a terrible beds too, hot water not alwais working, they do not allow any food (anyway cannot cook, no guest kitchen) or drinks from outside, I dont understand, their business is going very well, almost alwais full, why do not improve the quality? people will get tired in the future especialy if Kenya will increase the tourism and of course the number of hostels... why not change the pillows? our mattress was 1cm hight...
will not be back!