WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #20 of 190 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
Sydney, Australia
“Only there to sleep”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

My partner and I had just come off a 60 day Overlanding adventure and needed a cheap place to stay in Nairobi before we flew into the Middle East. As it was close to our friends in the Kivi Milimani Hotel we chose this backpackers.

The young lady on the front desk was lovely when we arrived, but informed us that they had booked us a double when we requested a twin through our booking agency. She confirmed this room was cheaper so it was a win for us. There was no introduction to where anything was in the backpackers, so it was a little confusing the first morning when ordering and paying for breakfast.

The restaurant is very basic, our breakfast was usually cold but the bacon serves was great! At dinner time there is only one option and it is premade which concerned me highly.

The bathrooms were fair, most mornings there was no toilet paper, or the sink was blocked.

On checkout they informed us we still needed to pay the original balance despite being told on check in that our room was cheaper than the twin room we booked.

Internet was slow but manageable.

Not close to anything - needed taxis to get around everywhere. I recommend waking down to the Kivi Millimani for a driver as they are very friendly and reasonably priced. We found one fellow who looked after us all three days we were there and even took us to the airport for 1600Sh which was quite cheap.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SarahBella1063

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Mombasa, Kenya
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

The nicest thing about this place is the people you encounter here. Aside from backpackers, its a hub for NGO workers and volunteers getting together the last few bits and bobs before of inbetween their projects. They will all have an interesting story to share and will be able to give you advice on your trips. The long term guests especially- chat to Kevin if he's there, an amazing guy.
The staff is beyond fantastic, Mari and Ruth are extraordinary and will go out oftheir way to help you. Same goes for the owner Patricia who is such a cool lady and always smiling.
But the real big big boss is Scooby, the dog and his new friend Samu, they run the place and are the lovelyest pair of pups you'll meet.
the location is perfect, close to the city centre, walking distance, but far enough to remain peaceful and green. close to a clinic as well, a saving grace for when you come down with random mystery illnesses. also there are pleanty of taxis outside happy to take you around, rememeber to haggle.
the premisis itself is a bit iffy, the best thing about it is the friendly set up, you can meet people here. also, for nairobi its really quite cheap.
i come here on stop overs and enjoy it quite a lot, nice to see friendly faces, and muzzles.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

After reading some of the reviews written, my wife and I were very wary about going to the backpackers. In fact, we went to check in at another backpacker run by Australians. They didn’t have space though so we ended up going to Milimani. We never made a better choice. Contrary to some comments, they are very efficient. The staff was lovely, welcoming us warmly, and the cleaning ladies so cheerful.eunice helped me track down a shirt I lost on the lines and never grumbled even once. Patricia Runs the show, and I have never met a more helpful woman. she knows everything about Kenya! Marise is a right laugh, and witty as well. Ruth is so funny and they all treated us like family,they were never once rude at all and made us feel very welcome. We took a safari with them, and the driver Sammy is the best guide in the whole entire world. the dogs were a bit noisy at night though, and there was one that kept chewing everybody’s ankles! Everybody has different experience, we can’t all be happy with the service we get in hostels, but Milimani was a great surprise, so I say go go go!!

Room Tip: the ones inside are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Samuel D
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

Milimani is chill. Very chill. Ordering food? It'll take awhile (but it's good.) Wanting to use internet? It'll take awhile (but it works.) Want to just lounge around and watch tv? No problem.

I stayed with a group of 60, so I'm not too sure what it's like staying on your own. The rooms worked just fine for me. Same with the showers.

The outdoor area is awesome in the evening, especially if there's a fire on. Met some really interesting folks when I was there.

As far as the safari went...I think it was a little overpriced, but I had a geat time and don't regret it at all. Milimani isn't the greatest...but it's far, far from the worst. Some of the other reviews on here seem a little extreme if you ask me.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Beijing, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

After staying in Nairobi for the month, my fiance and I needed a place to crash for about 6 hours in-between returning from the coast and catching an early morning flight to Gaborone the next day. I figured that most of my hostel days were behind me, but didn't mind revisiting the college-age backpacking days for a short few hours of sleep. Huge mistake. Or maybe that wasn't the mistake, just staying at Milimani backpackers was.

We called and they were all out of double rooms so instead we asked to book a triple and pay for the extra bed to make sure it was just me and my lady in the room. Upon arriving at the hostel the manager on duty claimed that she couldn't find the key to the triple and could only offer us two miniature "harry potter" style single rooms. She'd originally quoted us a price of 950 a bed for the triple but then charged 1,000 KSH for the single, I asked her why and she just snapped back "you're just lucky I didnt charge you full price (1500 KSH).

The room was about four inches longer than the single bed and just wide enough for me to fit my suitcase inbetween the bed and "wall". Which wasn't much of a wall but more so a glorified piece of Styrofoam that kept neither noise nor cold out.

Directly behind the backpackers there was a concert blaring at jet-engine level noise that went on till around 2:00 in the morning.

All in all it was an awful place with awful staff and construction that looked like a it was one good gust of wind from being knocked over.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank liaobuqi

Travelers are raving about these Nairobi hotels

Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

i can say this was one of the worst hostels i stayed in in Africa. the owner is a very selfish lady who is basically just intent on getting as much money from guests as possible. when i was there one of the dogs they keep bit someone and they had to go to the hospital. they had to fight hard to get any compensation. i got a bad feeling from the moment i arrived.

Room Tip: choose the turn around and leave suite
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
St. Petersburg, Russia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

I stay the 2nd time it Milimani, this time in a "single room" of 5 sq.m. at 18$ - more like a kennel than a room. I was actually OK with it, given Milimani seemed to be a relaxed place, good to meet travellers.

I was unfortunate enough to make a complaint about smallish portion of curry I ordered. Following the complaint, receptionist Marie ordered the cook to make another portion for me, and added: "but don't take his orders any more, let him eat outside".

One finds such attitude at some backpacker's places... Just to make sure, that you'll find another place to sleep in Nairobi, better and with nice and polite personnel (both in the city center):

Downtown Hotel, Moktar Daddah Street, just opposite Nakumatt Lifestyle entrance: single 1800 KES, double 2200 KES. Rooms were renovated about a year or two ago, but some are still good (check different). Run by Muslims from the coast.

Terminal Hotel (mentioned in Lonely Planet) - just next building to Downtown. Rooms have not been renovated for a long time, but are OK for a couple of nights. Same price tag with Downtown.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo