“A dump with walls (barely)” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Milimani Backpackers & Safari Centre

Milimani Backpackers & Safari Centre
Ranked #17 of 191 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
Beijing, China
“A dump with walls (barely)”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

After staying in Nairobi for the month, my fiance and I needed a place to crash for about 6 hours in-between returning from the coast and catching an early morning flight to Gaborone the next day. I figured that most of my hostel days were behind me, but didn't mind revisiting the college-age backpacking days for a short few hours of sleep. Huge mistake. Or maybe that wasn't the mistake, just staying at Milimani backpackers was.

We called and they were all out of double rooms so instead we asked to book a triple and pay for the extra bed to make sure it was just me and my lady in the room. Upon arriving at the hostel the manager on duty claimed that she couldn't find the key to the triple and could only offer us two miniature "harry potter" style single rooms. She'd originally quoted us a price of 950 a bed for the triple but then charged 1,000 KSH for the single, I asked her why and she just snapped back "you're just lucky I didnt charge you full price (1500 KSH).

The room was about four inches longer than the single bed and just wide enough for me to fit my suitcase inbetween the bed and "wall". Which wasn't much of a wall but more so a glorified piece of Styrofoam that kept neither noise nor cold out.

Directly behind the backpackers there was a concert blaring at jet-engine level noise that went on till around 2:00 in the morning.

All in all it was an awful place with awful staff and construction that looked like a it was one good gust of wind from being knocked over.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank liaobuqi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

i can say this was one of the worst hostels i stayed in in Africa. the owner is a very selfish lady who is basically just intent on getting as much money from guests as possible. when i was there one of the dogs they keep bit someone and they had to go to the hospital. they had to fight hard to get any compensation. i got a bad feeling from the moment i arrived.

Room Tip: choose the turn around and leave suite
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Nairobi hotels

St. Petersburg, Russia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

I stay the 2nd time it Milimani, this time in a "single room" of 5 sq.m. at 18$ - more like a kennel than a room. I was actually OK with it, given Milimani seemed to be a relaxed place, good to meet travellers.

I was unfortunate enough to make a complaint about smallish portion of curry I ordered. Following the complaint, receptionist Marie ordered the cook to make another portion for me, and added: "but don't take his orders any more, let him eat outside".

One finds such attitude at some backpacker's places... Just to make sure, that you'll find another place to sleep in Nairobi, better and with nice and polite personnel (both in the city center):

Downtown Hotel, Moktar Daddah Street, just opposite Nakumatt Lifestyle entrance: single 1800 KES, double 2200 KES. Rooms were renovated about a year or two ago, but some are still good (check different). Run by Muslims from the coast.

Terminal Hotel (mentioned in Lonely Planet) - just next building to Downtown. Rooms have not been renovated for a long time, but are OK for a couple of nights. Same price tag with Downtown.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Mikhail_Goldovski
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2012

I would like to warn people about Milimani Backpackers. It’s in the Lonely Planet Guidebook. As a hostel it is fine enough but I had a really negative experience with them. They have an area in the back corner next to the wall where people can camp. One evening I was lying down in my tent when a big thunderstorm came. The thunder was really close so I got out and went inside the hostel. Less than five minutes later I came back to check if water was getting in and I found my tent was covered in bricks. The wall had fallen on it. If I had been inside I would have died or been very seriously hurt.

My tent was destroyed and when I checked my new video camera I found the screen had been cracked. I found out later this was the 3rd time the wall had fallen and once before it had hit a tent but they still let people camp there.

I assumed Patricia, the owner, would replace or fix my tent and camera without any problem, just happy I was alive. But to my surprise she refused to pay a cent. After a heated argument they finally agreed to look for estimates. That was the beginning of a long fight to get some compensation. The played all kinds of games with me. They lied, they didn’t return my calls/messages/emails and they stalled me hoping I would give up. For awhile I stayed at the backpacker waiting for them and they refused to let me stay for free. In the end I finally got some cash four months later but only because I was so persistent. As for my tent they reluctantly gave me the cheapest old tent they had. It was useless against rain.

For this I would have to say do not stay at Milimani Backpackers.
I would recommend to stay at…

New Kenya Lodge (River Rd and Latema Rd)
-right in the center (close to cheap internet, Milimani charges 4X the price)
-lots of travellers
-cheaper
-actual hot showers (Milimani’s are hardly warm)
-offer cheaper safaris than Milimani and just as good

If you aren’t comfortable staying in the center then I would recommend
Upper Hill Backpackers (a bit far from town but very nice) or the Hostelling International Backpacker (near to Milimani)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Bill M
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2012

this is a terrible place. everything is very overpriced, especially the safaris. the main objective of this place is to get your money. also, the rooms were not very clean, my friend had bites every morning which we suspect were from bedbugs.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Josh B
Toulouse, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2011

Stayed here in September having arrived from Dar es Salaam.

The little cafe was good, although food seemed to be scarce, the barman was very helpful getting a SIM card etc

The rooms left a lot to be desired. I'd rung & booked a double, on arrival & was moved to a single. What a joke; the walls are paperthin, made of some sort of compacted plastic, there was barely room to get my luggage into the room & once it was in, getting to the bed was a gymnastic exercise! Freezing cold at night ... it wasn't a pleasant stay!

Toilet across the courtyard & shower in the main building where there wasn't anywhere to hang clothes, have privacy in the dirty, mouldy shower cubicle.

Reception staff varied from surly to very helpful & polite

Friendly dogs!!! But for the cost, it really wasn't worth it, there's better in NBO!

Room Tip: Don't take a single in the plastic box area!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2011

My girlfriend and I had intended to stay at Milimani for three nights, but left after just one. We'd booked a double cabin, which is priced at $25 per night.

The site itself was fine, with decent sitting room and an ok bar area. Also, the staff at reception were friendly and helpful. However, the room we were given smelled strongly of damp, the walls were wet, the door was flimsy (and stuffed with tissue paper to fill the gaps), and the mosquito net had large holes and was streaked with blood. Having lived in a village in Tanzania for two months prior to our stay we definitely didn't expect luxury, and having popped our heads into other rooms before we left, we may have been unlucky being given the cabin in the very back left corner of the complex. However, the room was definitely not worth the $25 price tag so check your room before you take the key!

Our negative experience was a real shame as this place is in a central location and has a good atmosphere. We can't speak for other cabins, but the room we were given needs refurbishing if they are gong to charge the same amount per night as other campsites which have much better facilities. The showers at Milimani were also dirty and the toilets do not have locks on the doors.

For now at least, we found that a better option is Upper Hill Campsite. It's further out and will cost you $10 to town in a taxi, but has good, secure and clean cabins and tents, great food and a large compound.

Room Tip: Look at your room before you check in.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple