“Bad Experience” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Milimani Backpackers & Safari Centre

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Milimani Backpackers & Safari Centre
You added Milimani Backpackers & Safari Centre to your Saves list
Ranked #19 of 183 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
Calgary, Canada
“Bad Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

I would like to warn people about Milimani Backpackers. It’s in the Lonely Planet Guidebook. As a hostel it is fine enough but I had a really negative experience with them. They have an area in the back corner next to the wall where people can camp. One evening I was lying down in my tent when a big thunderstorm came. The thunder was really close so I got out and went inside the hostel. Less than five minutes later I came back to check if water was getting in and I found my tent was covered in bricks. The wall had fallen on it. If I had been inside I would have died or been very seriously hurt.

My tent was destroyed and when I checked my new video camera I found the screen had been cracked. I found out later this was the 3rd time the wall had fallen and once before it had hit a tent but they still let people camp there.

I assumed Patricia, the owner, would replace or fix my tent and camera without any problem, just happy I was alive. But to my surprise she refused to pay a cent. After a heated argument they finally agreed to look for estimates. That was the beginning of a long fight to get some compensation. The played all kinds of games with me. They lied, they didn’t return my calls/messages/emails and they stalled me hoping I would give up. For awhile I stayed at the backpacker waiting for them and they refused to let me stay for free. In the end I finally got some cash four months later but only because I was so persistent. As for my tent they reluctantly gave me the cheapest old tent they had. It was useless against rain.

For this I would have to say do not stay at Milimani Backpackers.
I would recommend to stay at…

New Kenya Lodge (River Rd and Latema Rd)
-right in the center (close to cheap internet, Milimani charges 4X the price)
-lots of travellers
-cheaper
-actual hot showers (Milimani’s are hardly warm)
-offer cheaper safaris than Milimani and just as good

If you aren’t comfortable staying in the center then I would recommend
Upper Hill Backpackers (a bit far from town but very nice) or the Hostelling International Backpacker (near to Milimani)

Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank ChrisAdamCAN

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

This was one of the worst places we stayed on a year-long trip through Africa. The dorms were cramped and tatty, the doors didn't lock, there weren't any mosquito nets in our room, the restaurant was poor and over-priced, we were woken several times in the night by large religious youth groups praying and singing, and the staff were rude and clueless. A truly dreadful place - don't do it.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tripadbeccer

Travelers are raving about these Nairobi hotels

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

Milimani has a number of good points, but an equal number of bad points which they need to rectify. Amongst other things:

Good Points:
- Amazingly friendly and helpful staff
- Reasonably-priced beer and food
- Good atmosphere

Bad Points:
- Very Noisy (especially the guard dog who barks all night, and the birds screeching every morning)
- Beds a bit tatty, mozzie nets with A LOT of holes
- Not the cleanest place (especially the showers, some of which were disgusting), needs a bit of an overhaul.

However as a place to crash in Nairobi it's OK and reasonable value (Ksh1,000 [£7] when we went).

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank Rafiki_1982
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

Small and clean hostel. Threre is a diffirent kind of room, single, double or dorm. All of them are cheap and beautifull. Hostel has a garden and the restaurant is in the garden. I liked the talking to other young tourists all over the world in the gardens evening.

Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
New York City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

It is very cold at night
the staff is nice but the girl who worked when i arrived did not know anything about the place or about Nairobi
the internet was always down
i bought breakfast there in the morning and it was awful
the sheets were dirty
there is no hot water even though they say there is and there is a switch to turn on for hot water, it doesn't work

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
      Rooms
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2010

my first experience in a back packers environment. the place has a cozy restaurant and bar, comfortable and economical. it is clean, with all the facilities including internet.in nairobi a safe stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
      Rooms
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

This place is clean and nice, probably the best place to meet backpackers. The bar/restaurant is nice.

The staff is friendly and bar plays good jams, and they have a nice dog called scooby.
You can get hot showers if there is electricity.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo