“Bad Experience”

Ranked #17 of 206 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
Calgary, Canada
“Bad Experience”
Reviewed August 3, 2011

I would like to warn people about Milimani Backpackers. It’s in the Lonely Planet Guidebook. As a hostel it is fine enough but I had a really negative experience with them. They have an area in the back corner next to the wall where people can camp. One evening I was lying down in my tent when a big thunderstorm came. The thunder was really close so I got out and went inside the hostel. Less than five minutes later I came back to check if water was getting in and I found my tent was covered in bricks. The wall had fallen on it. If I had been inside I would have died or been very seriously hurt.

My tent was destroyed and when I checked my new video camera I found the screen had been cracked. I found out later this was the 3rd time the wall had fallen and once before it had hit a tent but they still let people camp there.

I assumed Patricia, the owner, would replace or fix my tent and camera without any problem, just happy I was alive. But to my surprise she refused to pay a cent. After a heated argument they finally agreed to look for estimates. That was the beginning of a long fight to get some compensation. The played all kinds of games with me. They lied, they didn’t return my calls/messages/emails and they stalled me hoping I would give up. For awhile I stayed at the backpacker waiting for them and they refused to let me stay for free. In the end I finally got some cash four months later but only because I was so persistent. As for my tent they reluctantly gave me the cheapest old tent they had. It was useless against rain.

For this I would have to say do not stay at Milimani Backpackers.
I would recommend to stay at…

New Kenya Lodge (River Rd and Latema Rd)
-right in the center (close to cheap internet, Milimani charges 4X the price)
-lots of travellers
-cheaper
-actual hot showers (Milimani’s are hardly warm)
-offer cheaper safaris than Milimani and just as good

If you aren’t comfortable staying in the center then I would recommend
Upper Hill Backpackers (a bit far from town but very nice) or the Hostelling International Backpacker (near to Milimani)

Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank ChrisAdamCAN

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2011

This was one of the worst places we stayed on a year-long trip through Africa. The dorms were cramped and tatty, the doors didn't lock, there weren't any mosquito nets in our room, the restaurant was poor and over-priced, we were woken several times in the night by large religious youth groups praying and singing, and the staff were rude and clueless. A truly dreadful place - don't do it.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tripadbeccer

Travelers are raving about these Nairobi hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2011

Milimani has a number of good points, but an equal number of bad points which they need to rectify. Amongst other things:

Good Points:
- Amazingly friendly and helpful staff
- Reasonably-priced beer and food
- Good atmosphere

Bad Points:
- Very Noisy (especially the guard dog who barks all night, and the birds screeching every morning)
- Beds a bit tatty, mozzie nets with A LOT of holes
- Not the cleanest place (especially the showers, some of which were disgusting), needs a bit of an overhaul.

However as a place to crash in Nairobi it's OK and reasonable value (Ksh1,000 [£7] when we went).

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rafiki_1982
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed May 1, 2011

Small and clean hostel. Threre is a diffirent kind of room, single, double or dorm. All of them are cheap and beautifull. Hostel has a garden and the restaurant is in the garden. I liked the talking to other young tourists all over the world in the gardens evening.

Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
New York City
Reviewed March 5, 2011

It is very cold at night
the staff is nice but the girl who worked when i arrived did not know anything about the place or about Nairobi
the internet was always down
i bought breakfast there in the morning and it was awful
the sheets were dirty
there is no hot water even though they say there is and there is a switch to turn on for hot water, it doesn't work

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
New Delhi, India
Reviewed December 22, 2010

my first experience in a back packers environment. the place has a cozy restaurant and bar, comfortable and economical. it is clean, with all the facilities including internet.in nairobi a safe stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed October 12, 2010

This place is clean and nice, probably the best place to meet backpackers. The bar/restaurant is nice.

The staff is friendly and bar plays good jams, and they have a nice dog called scooby.
You can get hot showers if there is electricity.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo