“Okay for an overnight or two”

Sentrim Nairobi Boulevard Hotel
Ranked #79 of 169 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Spent two nights in the Hotel Blvd during our time in Kenya. The hotel was booked as part of our tour package and we were satisfied with the accomadations and property. Rooms were clean and comfortable, although we found a bit of black mold and a bug or two in the bathrooms. There was not remote for the tv, so that was a pain, having to get up and down evertime you wanted to change the channel. There is no elevator, so that might be a deal breaker for those with mobility issues.The dinners were good, esecially the chinese food. As we had to depart early our last day, we were able to still get breakfast in the restuarant before the actual posted opening time. The hotel is located at the end of a street, near the university ground and the police station. You can walk to the city market and a grocery store quite easily and there is a Barclays ATM on the universiry grounds. It took 20 minutes to get to the airport when we departed the hotel at 5:45 am. But, having seen the traffic patterns in Nairobi, I can only imagine it would take an hour or longer at any other time of the day.

Room Tip: You want to be in a room facing the courtyard rather than the road.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 17, 2014

This is not a luxury hotel, but it's fine for what it is (2stars). I'm just leaving, after spending 2 nights before starting an overland trip and safari. Having read some of the reviews I was slightly worried, but there was no reason to. I had pre-booked pickup service and the driver was waiting for me when I exited the airport. It was about 1 hour drive in heavy afternoon traffic. The hotel is gated and there are 3-4 guards at the gate who search every car and person going in and out. So the grounds feel safe.

My room was clean and spacious. No air-conditioning, but there was a fan and despite the heat in January that was fine. There's wifi but it grows weaker the further you go from the lobby. My room was at the far end of the hall and my smartphone couldn't pick up the signal there, though my laptop did. But on each floor there's a small lounge with couches, where I sat down to go online at an ok speed.

The hotel is next to one of the busiest roads in Nairobi, so there is traffic noise. However, the hotel itself is rather quiet. My room was facing the garden and it was peaceful. The rooms facing the pool, and the road, are probably noisier.

Everyone I interacted with in the staff was friendly and polite. The lobby has money-exchange and will help you book a taxi, tours etc. The food at the restaurant was ok and the menu reasonably varied. Overall, I'm content with my stay and have nothing to complain about.

Room Tip: The further you go from the lobby, the weaker the wifi connection. Rooms facing the garden are quiet...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank stoa
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here before and after safari. It is a basic 2 star hotel - nothing better, nothing worse. It is clean, comfortable and has hot water. Food in restaurant is OK but most things on the menu aren't available so have a second choice ready.

Rooms on the garden side are better - better outlook and quieter, although we had no problems with our room overlooking the pool.

However, the front office staff need an attitude adjustment and be reminded that they are there to provide service to us, not the other way around. One evening, I asked for an iron and ironing board as I wanted to press something that had been in my bag for weeks. It was delivered after about 20 mins - no complaints so far.

However, they didn't tell me that it was the only iron and ironing board they had and that they ended it back. UNTIL 5.45am the next morning when the phone range demanding that I give it back to them. Yes, they woke us up - we had just gotten back from safari, was sleeping in a bed for the first time in 2 weeks and was needing sleep and a sleep in. I was obviously not impressed! So I told them they would have to get it later as we were still sleeping. 2 minutes later someone was banging on our door demanding the ironing board and iron back!!

I'm sorry - this is dreadful behaviour by any hotel. I hope management take note and provide some more customer service training to their staff.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Susan M
Reviewed December 23, 2013

It began with the airport pick up which I arranged with the hotel as I was on my own and did not want hassled at the airport - transfer was on time but over priced and in a very smelly cab. Room in the hotel was very basic and not clean - something awful was smeared all over the bathroom sink, there were dead and alive cockroaches on the floor and the u-bend had never seen bleach! The desk staff tried to charge me a $20 deposit for the TV remote control and at that point I freaked. They backed down and I did not have to pay it but every time I left the room I put the remote in the safe because I felt it was some kind of scam. There was no A/C, just a fan and no mosquito net despite them flying about the room. You could not keep them out as the bathroom had an opening into the hall that could not be blocked so everyone walking in the corridor could hear what you were doing in the bathroom. Although Nairobi was not safe, I spent every day outside of the hotel grounds because I could not bear being stuck in the hotel! Food was better then expected but if you are leaving early on safari, selection is limited despite their stated opening hours (the staff are all occupied having their own breakfast in the kitchen). The pool is nice (unheated) and as the hotel was booked as part of an overall tour I stuck it out, but on the way back from safari I checked into a much nicer hotel at not much extra cost. Please avoid - there are much better out there at not much more of a price.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank practicallady2013
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I stayed here for one night before the start of an overland trip. I paid enough for an airport pick up so I could swiftly be transported from Nairobi airport to my hotel. I had to wait well over an hour for the service. There was poor communication of the delay. I could have just been told to get an airport taxi to the hotel. At least I was given a complimentary meal which was appreciated and it did not take too long to arrange this. Breakfast was adequate, nothing special. Had little time to make use of any hotel amenities.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank TravellerDWM
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Our group stayed here for two nights. It was OK. The grounds were nice. We felt safe within the gates of the place-would NOT venture out. Breakfast was nice, a variety of choices and plentiful. Dinner-not so great. Don't choose the lamb chops! The room was facing the pool. For November the fan was enough with an open window. The "safe" in the room...you could pick it up and carry it off! The room and the entire hotel were clean. I understand there are surcharges if you use credit cards. Didn't miss not having an elevator, liked the staircase. There was a conference room for our group's morning meeting, which was convenient and private. It was a good place to stay for a couple of nights before heading out on safari, without breaking the bank.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Beverly M
Reviewed November 28, 2013

The good points:
Nice modern rooms, clean and good modern washrooms too
Free wifi in rooms
reasonably good location
the not so good points:
No elevator, though there are only 2 floors
the rooms are a bit small
the airport taxi service is a bit expensive
overall good experience for me

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business