“Was even worse...” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #63 of 156 Hotels in Nairobi
Hackensack
“Was even worse...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

In late 2011 I wanted to change hotels and after checking out from Sentrim 680 which was mediocre, I decided to check in at Sentrim Nairobi Boulevard because I had two more days before flying back to the US. I thought the location was better than the city center but the service was even worse. The front desk clerks were so clueless whenever we had a problem and they didn't seem happy at all. One of the guests I got to meet was charged extra because her friend came to her room to hang out before travelling to Lake Nakuru the same day. I was very shocked when a Kenyan national who was hanging out with us told us that under the new management, the women employees were not hired because of their qualifications and that left a lot to our imagination especially when the national said that those who didn't comply did not last long as employees. When the Kenyan national also mentioned how little these employees got paid - about $170 a month working 12 hours a day I understood why they seemed sad and not so helpful. I also understood when the national mentioned that the employees often "pocketed" the extra charges from guests themselves. All I know is that in the earlier years the Boulevard Hotel and 680 were better hotels than they are today and I WON'T be going to any of them on my next visit to Kenya because they don't care about their guests.

Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Aimee R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nairobi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

I stayed in the hotel between 25 and 29 March 2012. On the 26th, after dinner, I took a colleague upstairs into my room to get some documents to her. She left the room and the hotel within 15-20 minutes. The hotel decided to charge me extra U$65.00 because she was not supposed to go to my room. After discussing the issue with the manager, he ordered the front desk staff to take the charge off. They did so, but the front desk staff, after the manager left the area, told me that most likely they were going to be charged for it themselves. what a shocker!

Room Tip: Look for another hotel! Lots of mosquitoes around. TV did not work. Fan in room was far too noisy.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Ant V

Travelers are raving about these Nairobi hotels

Equality, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

In the heart of Nairobi, steps from the University, at the end of a quiet street this three story hotel with 4.5 acres of well manicured green space, is not a bad choice. The rooms are small, but clean, no A/C. The food is not bad, not great, served in open air surroundings. The place is very secure and safe, it has a handful of taxi drivers who hang out inside the grounds and who will not rip you off. The cost for internet access is 10 time what any internet cafe charges. $6 per hour vs. 50 cents at a internet cafe, but there are none nearby, So, if you are traveling all the way to Africa to sit in you hotel room and update your Facebook, this might not be a good place to stay. BUT if you are looking for a safe place in a quiet, bucolic setting, with friendly staff, this might be just right. Breakfast buffet is good, check online for best rates.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

My colleagues and I stayed at this property in March 2012, and from the start we had trouble. First, we had booked our reservation online, but they had only one out of the three rooms reserved actually in their system(despite the fact that I had paid for the entire booking on my credit card beforehand). Second, the front desk staff were mostly unhelpful. Internet could only be purchased for set amounts of time and during the times the hotel shop was open, which proved hugely problematic for one of my colleagues with a late night deadline. Also, the pay-for-use internet system was slow and the shop staff did not know how to provide technical assistance, even when it was their own system that was not functioning. The rooms were fine, although the bathroom ventilation system provided far too much information about neighboring rooms' bathroom activities. The one bright spot of the hotel were the friendly taxi drivers who offered reasonable prices and safe transportation to meetings around the city.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank 520travel123
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

My Dad and I stayed here in February 2012. The room we had was decent. It had 2 single beds that were okay. It didnt have AC but it wasnt that hot in that room. The swimming pool is really nice. It's being cleaned all the time and the service there is great! The front desk people are almost useless. Every time we had a question they would just mumble something and not know the answer. The restaurant is decent a bit over priced. I felt safe here. There is a safe in the room if you feel you need it (we used it.) It is a bit rundown in some places but just remembering the fact you are in Africa makes all the tiny problems no big deal.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank emily s
Arusha, Tanzania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on 3 different occassions with my last visit being in February this year.

The rooms are clean and comfortable with large bathrooms. While there is no air conditioning they do have fans and you are able to open the window without being annoyed by traffic noise and pollution as they hotel is set on large grounds away from the road. The room also offers bottled water, tea and coffee making facilities and flat screen tv.

It is in a great location and just a few minutes walk into the centre of town (3-5 minutes) where you can find ATMS, banks, restaurants, shops and tourist attractions. It is also very close to the National Museum (a few minutes walk). It is also not too far from the airport and a taxi will cost around $20USD one way.

There is a restaurant and bar and I have enjoyed dinner here most trips. There is a good menu selection at dinner (I am vegetarian) and while the buffet breakfast isn't the best I have had it is reasonable and they offer a hot and cold selection.

The hotel also offers an internet cafe and wifi (paid) and both options are very well priced.

All the staff I encountered - Manager, housekeeping, food and bev, security etc have all been very friendly and helpful whenever I needed assistance.

I was very happy with my last stay and will stay here again when I return to Kenya in September.

I believe the poor reviews are due to the fact that people may have unrealistic expectations of hotels in Kenya - it is Africa... There are lots of 5 star hotel options however most charge 5 star prices too. This is a hotel which offers a great location with friendly staff and is a great price.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
2 Thank Sarah2009
Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

This hotel was suggested by our travel agent and tour group Kumuka to stay here. After reading the reviews on trip advisor before we left I was still a bit sketchy about it. We arrived at the hotel the night before our tour began and the staff were rude and not very helpful. I had an unexpected emergency that I had to deal with back home that I found out just before I got on the flight to Nairobi and in order to deal with it I required the use of the internet and a phone. I was informed by staff that neither were working and I couldn't make outside phone calls. I later found out that the internet business room was open and working.

On our way back from our amazing tour we were dropped off back at the Boulevard. Some people we met on the tour were staying there one more night and offered for us to use their hotel room so we could freshen up and re pack our bags while we waited for our flight later that night. The front desk called up their room demanding that they will be charged an extra $100 per bag/person that is in their room. They clearly didn't understand that we were not sleeping the night there. We then had to store our bags in the store room which was not locked at all times, eventhough they assured us it was.

As for the breakfast it is ok but the rooms are very basic and only one fan in there. Overall, I really don't think the hotel gets its' value for money. Don't stay there and I wouldn't recommend Kumuka or travel agents to suggest it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends