“Beautiful.....but becoming pricy”
Review of Malu

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Malu
Ranked #9 of 224 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
Reviewed January 19, 2012

I love Malu, we've been to stay there twice now and it is a wonderful escape from Nairobi, and attracts plenty of Nairobi families looking for a break. It is peaceful, quiet and the children love being able to walk around, feed the animals, milk the cows and swim in the hot spring pool.
My only complaint is that the prices seem to be creeping up fast, and what used to be an affordable weekend away is now becoming less so. I worry that Malu will start to lose business as it prices itself out of its market.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Carolinebaugh
Malu_Lodge_Kenya, Owner at Malu, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2012

Dear Caroline, Thank you very much for your kind review. We are trying hard to keep our prices low, we haven't raised our prices in two years until this year and have only done so by about 10% - unfortunately inflation in Kenya in 2011 was unbearable with some food items increasing by up to 80% and the general rate for the year was 22%, electricity went up 32% in the period and the current news says it will increase again shortly by 26%. We also invested over USD$200,000.00 in lodge infrastructure and assets in 2011 - a lot for a small 10 room lodge. All very scary stuff. We do however, keep a good eye on our competition and believe that we have a lower rate than all. We will continue to strive to offer our guests the very best value for money and hope that you will come back for a third visit and hope that we can persuade you that we are really worth it - many thanks for taking the time to review us.

Reviewed January 9, 2012

We had the privilege of staying at Malu for one night this last Friday and it was wonderful. quiet, away from beaten track and exactly what me and my boys needed! An evening of good food, fire place and comfortable beds!! In the morning my kids milked cows, chatted to ducks and geese and saw horses and donkeys etc. Ate a delicious breakfast, went for a walk to the river and hot spring when we saw some wildlife, namely warthog, then back for a self grown freshly picked luncheon.thank you very much!

Room Tip: Depends whether you are a family or not. As a person with small kids it was great that we were in th...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your kind review. We shall work hard to increase our value for money at Malu. Though you will be happy to learn that since your stay we now have six brand new top of the range bicycles at Malu, with suspension on the two adults and two teenage size bikes as well as two new children's bikes. These new bicycles complement our existing seven bicycles which have been completely overhauled. We have also since your stay invested in new bath towels by the British Luxury Linen Company - Mitre which has a Royal Warrant to its name - so we are working hard on that value for money at Malu. I hope to be able to welcome you and your family back to Malu very soon.

Reviewed January 7, 2012

This little lodge located on a private forest reserve is a perfect getaway for a few days. We were there with friends and just relaxed. There are lots of nice activities as well. So, you can just relax and do nothing or fill your days with a few of the many acticities they offer. We went horse riding both mornings. First riding we went down to the plunge pool and had a swim. It's a wonderful little pool in the forest with fresh water from the rocks. In the evening we had so much fun doing a night game drive looking for Buffalos.
The food at Malu is Italian style and very good. You can tell they use lots of vegetalbles and herbs from their own farm. Every lunch and dinner they serve you a delicious 4-course meal. At lunch time we enjoyed our food outside and at supper in their very cosy little restaurant with open fire. When we came back to our cottage after supper the fire was on and the bed warmed up by a hot water bottle. The service was excellent with friendly and helpful staff. We'd love to come back!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you for your most kind review, you clearly had a lovely stay and I am so happy. One of the joys of Malu being situated in its own private 1900 acres is that we are able to do night game drives, something that is forbidden in game parks. If I may be so bold as to point out one error in your review - our lunches and dinners are actually five courses. I hope that you will come back with your friends very soon.

Reviewed January 7, 2012

My wife and I spent 5 restful days and nights in this remote part of Kenya. Getting there is
a challenge but once there one can relax and enjoy the quiet restful aptmosphere of the
lodge and surrounding cottages. The restaurant is well managed and provides a good food
wine and aselection of vegtables and greens grown in their own garden. It is truly a fantastic get away from the hustle and bustle of Nairobi. We would recommend this venue for couples as well as families wanting to experience the activities such as horseriding and nature walks. The staff was especially attentative and friendly. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Malu.
Larry & Jill Gebelein, El Sobrante, California, USA

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Malu_Lodge_Kenya, Owner at Malu, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2012

Thank you for your kind review. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed December 12, 2011

Malu Lodge was great for a quiet weekend away. The rooms were very comfortable and each cabin has its own fire-place and a balcony at the front which is great for enjoying the view. The only drawbacks were the 10km of dirt road to get there and the unexpected unavailability of credit card facilities which made paying at the end a bit difficult.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Malu_Lodge_Kenya, Owner at Malu, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2012

Dear Starush, thank you for your kind review - I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay. The road access around the Government 'Dairy Training Institute' can sometimes be a little unkempt but I hope that our roads on Malu were acceptable, as we have a constant team on road upkeep. We do accept both Visa and Mastercard at Malu - the credit card companies lines may have been down while you were there, I shall look into it, but we do very much accept them, in fact we generally prefer credit card payments. Once again, thank you for your review and bringing the credit card issue to my attention. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed November 4, 2011

Yes, it is quiet. And not much is happening at Malu Lodge. The cottages are beautiful - we were in a very spacious big one woith 2 bedrooms and a great fireplace - and the view is breathtaking. Our two girls (9 and 11) loved the horseriding and we enjoyed the nature walk. The friendly dog Tanga was quickly adopted, temporarily of course.

We just wanted to relax and Malu Lodge is perfect for that purpose. The staff is freindly and helpful. We were the only guests and while we were there a power problem plunged the Club House into darkness. Nevertheless, we had a great candlelight dinner and saw no reason for complaints. We would surely come back should we ever be in the country. Those who are looking for excitement and entertainment, for shops and a choice between 3 different restaurants should avoid it.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Ngojakidogo
Malu_Lodge_Kenya, Owner at Malu, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2012

Thank you for your kind review - I'm sorry about the power failure, it has become the norm in Kenya these days - hopefully our large new generator will be on line very soon, so we won't be totally reliant on the Kenya Power and Lighting Company. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Malu again in the near future.

Reviewed November 3, 2011

I went to Mlau with great expectation to spend a lovely week end in a nice place, with good food and good service.
The place is nice, I can confirm but service and food are really poor and definitely much below the average quality for the rate applied.
Very disappointing also because I wrote to the management to complain and I didn't get any answer.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nicoletta B

Dear Nicoletta B. Thank you for your feedback, I don't seem to have received a complaint, but would really like to know more so that I can work on whatever issues affected you, your review isn't very specific - of course such a poor review on Trip Advisor is harsh, especially on value for money, which is what we really believe that we are, so please do try to contact me directly - kim@malu.co.ke I hope we can do better and welcome you back to Malu again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nairobi
Enashipai Resort & Spa
The Heron Portico
#5 of 169 in Nairobi
Hotel Troy Nairobi
#12 of 288 in Nairobi

Been to Malu? Share your experiences!