Malu
Agoda.com
$85
$78
Priceline
All reviewsplunge poolthe cottagesdonkey cartmilked cowsforest walkcolobus monkeysrough roadpeaceful lodgeperfect escapetilapiatwo nightsself cateringnaivashafireplacelongonotanimalsbush
Reviewed January 7, 2012

My wife and I spent 5 restful days and nights in this remote part of Kenya. Getting there is
a challenge but once there one can relax and enjoy the quiet restful aptmosphere of the
lodge and surrounding cottages. The restaurant is well managed and provides a good food
wine and aselection of vegtables and greens grown in their own garden. It is truly a fantastic get away from the hustle and bustle of Nairobi. We would recommend this venue for couples as well as families wanting to experience the activities such as horseriding and nature walks. The staff was especially attentative and friendly. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Malu.
Larry & Jill Gebelein, El Sobrante, California, USA

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Malu_Lodge_Kenya, Owner at Malu, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2012

Thank you for your kind review. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed December 12, 2011

Malu Lodge was great for a quiet weekend away. The rooms were very comfortable and each cabin has its own fire-place and a balcony at the front which is great for enjoying the view. The only drawbacks were the 10km of dirt road to get there and the unexpected unavailability of credit card facilities which made paying at the end a bit difficult.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Malu_Lodge_Kenya, Owner at Malu, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2012

Dear Starush, thank you for your kind review - I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay. The road access around the Government 'Dairy Training Institute' can sometimes be a little unkempt but I hope that our roads on Malu were acceptable, as we have a constant team on road upkeep. We do accept both Visa and Mastercard at Malu - the credit card companies lines may have been down while you were there, I shall look into it, but we do very much accept them, in fact we generally prefer credit card payments. Once again, thank you for your review and bringing the credit card issue to my attention. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed November 4, 2011

Yes, it is quiet. And not much is happening at Malu Lodge. The cottages are beautiful - we were in a very spacious big one woith 2 bedrooms and a great fireplace - and the view is breathtaking. Our two girls (9 and 11) loved the horseriding and we enjoyed the nature walk. The friendly dog Tanga was quickly adopted, temporarily of course.

We just wanted to relax and Malu Lodge is perfect for that purpose. The staff is freindly and helpful. We were the only guests and while we were there a power problem plunged the Club House into darkness. Nevertheless, we had a great candlelight dinner and saw no reason for complaints. We would surely come back should we ever be in the country. Those who are looking for excitement and entertainment, for shops and a choice between 3 different restaurants should avoid it.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Ngojakidogo
Malu_Lodge_Kenya, Owner at Malu, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2012

Thank you for your kind review - I'm sorry about the power failure, it has become the norm in Kenya these days - hopefully our large new generator will be on line very soon, so we won't be totally reliant on the Kenya Power and Lighting Company. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Malu again in the near future.

Reviewed November 3, 2011

I went to Mlau with great expectation to spend a lovely week end in a nice place, with good food and good service.
The place is nice, I can confirm but service and food are really poor and definitely much below the average quality for the rate applied.
Very disappointing also because I wrote to the management to complain and I didn't get any answer.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nicoletta B

Dear Nicoletta B. Thank you for your feedback, I don't seem to have received a complaint, but would really like to know more so that I can work on whatever issues affected you, your review isn't very specific - of course such a poor review on Trip Advisor is harsh, especially on value for money, which is what we really believe that we are, so please do try to contact me directly - kim@malu.co.ke I hope we can do better and welcome you back to Malu again soon.

Reviewed August 2, 2011

Well its a quiet place so if all you require is quietness then it the place to go. Went for a honeymoon four nights and all I can for say we have paid less for better deals. There is no wow factor to it from the time you arrive.
Staff are friendly and helpful. There is only one menu for meals meaning you dont have choice as there is no variety. We skipped lunch once coz there was nothing to look forward to. If you are African and want heavy food like nyama choma or fried/roasted chicken look elsewhere. The horse ride and nature walk was was ok. The night game drive we were really looking forward to didnt happen as the truck was spoilt for the duration of our stay. The plunge pool is just that, a pool of warm water in the forest, five people in and it will be crowded. Blackout on one entire night.
Thus if you are going there plan for a short stay like a night so that you can have all activities on one day coz on the 2nd day you will be dying for more activities. Thank God it was honey moon coz my husband and I were getting to know each other thus we didnt mind the quiet.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear 'Sparks'. Thank you for your review, and I am sorry that Malu is not what you expected. I can't apologise enough for the vehicle being out of action. We are a small lodge, situated in our own private forest sanctuary and peace, quiet and tranquility is what we love, we are not a fast, furious activity lodge, and don't pretend to be, gentle walks and horse rides through the forest is what we offer and a quiet place to read a book and unwind. Our views ARE "WOW!" and so is our forest - the only natural Cedar forest remaining on the East of the Rift Valley - experts say some of our trees are over 2000 years old - it IS "WOW!", our food is a set menu of Italian style, that is because it is fresh and locally produced, on our little farm or by our neighbours, you are quite right, it certainly isn't "nyama choma", but we don't want it to be - sadly many of our negative reviews are from people misunderstanding what we are, our plunge pool is only 25 degrees and is small - BUT it is a natural spring, a flow of warm spring water straight from the Aberdare Mountains, out of the hill right there, into the pool - it is amazing that it is so warm and fresh and beautifully situated in the middle of the forest, guests love it. It is small, or it would not fit in with its natural setting, next to a stream, also spring fed. I do believe, really honestly, Malu is very good value, USD$100 per person, full board, five course meals, on a private 2000 acre sacred ancient forest - though, it is never going to be good value if that is not what you expected - and I apologise, I shall try to be sure that our booking agents make sure that we ensure those that are looking for the fast furious busy holiday are aware that we are quiet and have more to offer families.