“Impeccable”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Without doubt this was one of the best meals we have had in years. The amuse bouche was so good that I tried to wrangle seconds. We both chose the Tomato Consomme which more than lived up to expectations - light and fragrant. My Rack of Kenyan Lamb was cooked to perfection - indeed it melted in the mouth. Strong, rich yet not overwhelming to the palate. The Pork with Calvados was so good my husband wouldn't share! The wine list was varied and we tried a well priced South African Merlot. Staff were discreetly attentive and the service personalised. The ambience delightful - I loved the quiet elegance. The final bill was very reasonable for a restaurant of this quality. Chef Korich has laid the foundation of a truly exceptional restaurant and we hope to return asap!

4  Thank deborah r

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Pango is one of the top restaurants in Nairobi. It brands itself as a Brasserie, so the food is somewhat french inspired (the menu is in French and English). I had the seafood broth to start, and I have to say I was disappointed. It is served with big ceremony, it is a Pernod flambé kind of thing, but unfortunately the Pernod is the only discernable flavour in the broth. I guess someone didn't give all the goodies that give the flavour - the shells - a good enough simmer when making it. Just pouring it over a cooked prawn and some pieces of fish didn't cut it.
But then I had the Red Snapper and I was impressed. The fish was cooked to perfection, and the sides (lots of different flavoursome things on the plate) were great and often a positive flavour surprise.
So 50/50. What kind of tilts the verdict not "not quite there" is that the only white wine available by the glass is the run of the mill small bottle they sell everywhere in the hotel - not quite so impressive for a Brasserie, where as a single diner I would expect to have at least a bit of a better white by the glass, if not a choice of 2-3. This has always been a problem in Nairobi restaurants, but not an excuse if you pride yourself on your wine selection.

1  Thank Volker H
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We had reserved a table for a birthday. We found it beautifully set up and in a quiet area. Our waiter was really attentive and the food presentation was just awesome. We all loved our lunch there and the kids even cleared their portions! Highly recommended

Reviewed November 26, 2013

a very wonderful dining experience. The waiters give you a personalised service. the food is served well and hot. a bit over priced but sometimes well worth the splurge. yummy desserts. great ambiance.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We were welcomed with a glass of wine n if you don't drink they offered cocktails instead (non alcoholic). Their food had a wonderful presentation, though what I asked for duck meat was not very well cooked (well I cant remember saying I wanted it rarely done but well done). If you are a person who loves your food in large quantities then this is not the place, unless you will have starters before and dessert after. The food is not usually a lot, I remember one of us after dining there went back home and immediately went to the fridge to look for more food as they weren't satisfied. They also close very early, my dad had had a delayed flight and they assured us that if he was not there by latest 10pm, the kitchen would have been closed. So I think they should adjust their flexibility on the times as many people dine up to around 11pm if not later. They are also abit pricey, but if you love an elegant and classy ambiance this is the place to go. Not to mention, we had a guy playing for us the piano downstairs the whole time we were dining. Its a nice venue for a romantic time.