WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Ole Sereni

Ole Sereni
Ranked #16 of 161 Hotels in Nairobi
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Ideal location with amazing views and great atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2010

I had a 24 hour over layover in this hotel and was very impressed. In Nairobi we have always stayed at the Intercontinental before which is slicker but this hotel is much closer to the airport and ideal unless you need to be in the city. The hotel is very aesthetically pleasing with a lovely atmosphere. Many of the public areas in the hotel overlook the game reserve. You may or may not see anything. I saw zebras during my short stay. On my first night I had room service on arrival about 10:30 PM and it was excellent. Red snapper on a bed of delicious pasta. The next day I had a late lunch in the bar, food again very good but service friendly but slow. I had to ask for the bill about four times, On checking out in the evening for the flight back to London I was itching to stay as the bar area was buzzing and there were a couple of live jazz musicians. Generally very impressed.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Turkish first
Bad Doberan, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2010

Booked in advance via internet. Arrived in the evening but no vacant room could be found. We had to pick a very early flight next morning and just wanted to sleep. After one hour we got our keys. When we entered the room it was occupied. Went back and had to wait again. Finally got a vacant room, had some overpriced food in the restaurant (poor attention by the staff) ordered early breakfast (was promised by staff at the desk) and went to sleep. Beds are terrible hard! Very small bathroom! Went down for breakfast in the morning. They just started to prepare. Had to wait for 30 min. At the time of checking out they delayed us again with wrong room charges. We almost missed our flight to SA! Never again this hotel!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2010

I have stayed at many Nairobi hotels (InterContinental, Serena etc) and this is now my favorite, for many reasons:

It is close to the airport. The drive from the airport to a downtown hotel in a taxi at night is not the way to start your African stay. This is the closest, nice, hotel to the airport.

It is beautiful. Tons of glass and natural wood. Very modern and yet still African.

It's located on the Nairobi National Park, as in RIGHT ON IT. I ate breakfast and saw giraffes walking about. Nice. You won't find that anywhere downtown.

It is not downtown. Nairobi is a dangerous city. If you're downtown you'll take walks and that can get you into trouble, especially after dark. So, out here, there is nothing close to walk to!

The rooms are not large, but comfortable, The bed was great. Nice and firm.

There were very few electrical plugs in the room and they were only the Kenyan style so plan ahead.

great shower

The internet wifi is not free and connection is slow - even in the business center

TIA - this is africa - nothing happens quickly and discussions about anything that needs to be changed takes a big discussion = be patient

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Orlando
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2010

We chose this hotel based upon the location (near the airport) and the good reviews we saw on TA. We were advised to stay near the airport because of the heavy Nairobi traffic getting to the airport, so this was the final hotel of our itinerary before returning home.
BIG mistake. Very disappointing! The hotel itself looks lovely. BUT
#1 I requested a room overlooking the "park", but it turned out that I was also overlooking the restaurant. The restaurant has a terrace, which in itself was noisy, but at night they had musicians playing out there, which made it impossible to sleep. The musicians were horrible, they need music lessons!!
#2 The room was very tiny, but ok. The bed was as hard as a ROCK, I'm not kidding, I am pretty sure there was no mattress, just plywood. The pipes in the walls constantly made noise. The rooms are on these long hallways that are not carpeted, so every noise in the hall is amplified!
#3 The pool area is very nice, it overlooks the Park. BTW we only saw an ostrich the whole time we were at this hotel, don't expect to see much in the park. The side of the hotel where is the pool is located is ALSO the side where the giant (5 stories high) cooling fans vent, so when you are at the pool you have this constant roar of the fans. The hotel is very poorly designed in so many ways!
#4 I could have lived with the rest of the problems, but when they served us hamburgers FULL of worms, that was really the last straw. I immediately brought it to someones attention, and to their credit, they apologized alot & assigned us a "personal" server who took care of us. But I was afraid to order any meat or poultry, so we only ate plain pizza after that. My poor daughter was starving the whole time, but I was afraid to eat there. If I have worms, I'll know where I got them.
In retrospect, I wish we had gone back to the Tribe Hotel for the end of our trip. I would rather have enjoyed my last days in Nairobi & just take a little longer to get to the airport.
The only good thing I can say is the room had nice ammenities & nice towels & it was clean.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Devon, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2010

We have just returned from 2 weeks at the wonderul Baraza Hotel in Zanzibar and had previously spent a single night at Giraffe Manor (outstanding place!). We had to spend one night on Friday 17th September in 2 deluxe rooms before our flight back to to the uk . As a family and as a couple we have stayed in hotels all around the world and this was the worst hotel we have stayed in. We had asked for rooms next to each other as we had our 2 daughters (19 and 13) with us and although we were assured there was just a gap between the rooms this was not the case and they were a room down from us. We ordered room service which took over an hour to get to us and when it arrived it was stone cold. My husband ordered a burger which looked like someone had taken a bite out of it and the buns were burnt. The steaks we had ordered medium to rare was not cooked, veg was raw and the chips (all 6 of them) were also not cooked properly. The drinks arrived with no bottle opener. They tried to send up a replacement meal - the burger was an improvement but my steak was even more raw (we expencted it to run off the plate!) and inedible. My eldest daughter was so hungry she had eaten hers. The beds were like sleeping on a table and when my husband queried this in the morning the girl said that there weren't mattresses on the bed they were coming next year and that most people asked for more pillows to sleep on. We did not pay for our meal but had to pay for my daughter's but I am very unimpressed with this hotel. On the plus front security was excellent!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2010

Staff, views, and room all fantastic! The restaurant has a great selection with an international buffet during breakfast and lunch. The staff is very attentive and friendly. Rooms are large and clean with great view.

Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2010

The location of this hotel is perfect to avoid the traffic of Nairobi.
The hotel is close to the airport, which makes easy access, and an ideal location
Staff were very accommodating to our needs (3 year old daughter) with an excellent choice of restaurants and bars overlooking Nairobi National Park.
The rooms were clean and spacious with all the expected facilities of a new hotel.
Definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Nairobi.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family