“Very convenient” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 156 Hotels in Nairobi
Boston
“Very convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

I booked a day room here, after finding that we had 10 hours to kill. Ole-Sereni is a short ride to JKIA ($25USD) and sits conveniently overlooking Nairboi National Park. What a beautiful hotel this is - we ate outside on the terrace, and were really, really pleased with the food. You can't beat the view! The entire bar/restaurant area has great atmosphere, great background music and the service is above par. The rooms are nice, nothing to complain about here. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole Sereni, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
I sincerely thank you for taking time to give us your positive review.

I am glad to learn that you had a memorable experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Turkish first
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

I had a business lunch at the Big 5 restaurant. The service was wonderful and the food even more delicious. I enjoyed the view of the national park, which is quite a unique experience. I will most certainly return and would recommend this restaurant to anyone willing to enjoy an unordinary experience in a city filled with traffic and congestion.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to give us your positive review.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed the offerings and ambiance of 'Big Five' restaurant.

Fordingbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

We had a 5 hour wait for our 23.30 BA flight to the UK so rather than hang about the awful airport friends recommended that we take a taxi & have dinner at the Ole Sereni. It's only a 20 minute trip & well worth it. We sat outside on the terrace overlooking the Nairobi national park & enjoyed a meal of giant prawns & fish.

The prawns were excellent, the fish rather disappointing. As a result, we weren't charged for the fish & were given a complimentary platter of fresh fruit. Service was excellent & this is a great way to while away a few hours.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nicmeljones
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole Sereni, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Thank you for taking time to give us your positive review.

I am pleased to learn that you had a pleasant experience.

Tokyo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I stayed for one night. My room was park view and I could see some animals from my window! Or I could drink a beer with view of giraffes or buffaloes at the terrace on the second floor. If you don't have enough time to go around for safari, this hotel gives you at least safari view. The restaurant on the 5th floor was cozy and luxury. It was more than I expected!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Lovely_lovely_trip
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole Sereni, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for taking time to give us your positive review.

I am very delighted to learn that your stay was pleasant and even more delighted to know that you spotted game in the Park.

Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I had a great time staying at this hotel. The hotel is in a perfect location, overlook Nairobi National park. Guaranteed stunning views and scenery. The food is good and the bar has a good atmosphere and I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole Sereni, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
I sincerely thank you for taking time to give us your positive review.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

If you need a hotel that is close to airport, serves excellent food, and you want a view over the national Park, then this is the place for you. The hotel is on the expensive side for Nairobi Hotels, but it has been built to high standards. What can let it down is the level of service, and the price of breakfast, and other services.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank michaelmoulsdale
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole Sereni, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback.

We do apologise for the service delays you experienced and we are addressin this concern right away.

We request you to reconsider our services during your future stays as it will be assured of superior levels.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I learned about the hotel from friends in the US that stayed there during their honeymoon. From an architectural design perspective, I was impressed since I was born in Kenya and have been to several hotels there, I liked how this was modern with African elements and using green design as compared to other luxury hotels I've been to.

I'd booked a room for my 10th wedding annivery but cancelled via email way ahead in order to avoid getting charged. I still got charged 4 days before I was due to check in. I emailed the Reservation Officer who forwarded my request to someone else to handle it. I received an email saying that the charges would be reverted back. But they never did!

I called the hotel and spoke to 1 person who said they'd verify my information after I'd forwarded them previous email correspondence. She promised to call me back in 5 minutes, I didn't here from her. After 20 minutes, I called back and was told this person had left for the day. Then I explained my situation to another person, she said they had the emails but they needed to wait until the original manager came back to work. By then I had a family medical emergency and needed a room for my father before he could be checked into Aga Khan hospistal to see a specialist. I was told by the reservation manager on duty that I'd preferred to use the payment for a room at the hotel since they'd already charged me. She (Catherine) explained to me that the original charge was only a hold. I told her that that's not the case because my bank distingueshes holds and charges differently, however I'd wait and see after my father's stay to make sure that it was adjusted correctly.

Once my father checked out, I was billed AGAIN. I've sent emails requesting my bill to be corrected and I haven't heard from anyone. I've delt with 6 people about this issue and even had to show up in person to deal with it. It would be nice to have someone actually follow through and do something right. I've seen similar complaints about double billing, I would hope the hotel has someone that verifies entries and ensures good customer service.

Room Tip: You either get the highway under construction or the view to the park.