New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #16 of 161 Hotels in Nairobi
Hamilton, Canada
“Convenient”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

This hotel is 15 minutes from the airport; thus no need to endure the horrid Nairobi traffic longer than necessary. It is a busy and safe hotel with travellers from around the world. This hotel is next to Nairobi National park, so the views are lovely from rooms on that side, or if you have dinner or drinks at the hotel restaurant and lounge. However, unless you like to sleep on a board, the beds are terribly uncomfortable and the showers could use a renovation.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the National park.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole Sereni, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for taking time to give us your comments.

I regret to learn that you didn't find the comfort levels up-to standard.

We will ensure the concerns pointed our are looked into right away.

Once again, I thank you for sharing your views and look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

I wish to breakdown my experience in ole - serene hotel as follows..

1. The security was good during my 4days stay in december. One day we left approx 100 usd in the safe but we did not lock the safe. We even did not notice that we lost some money until when we received a notice from the security and then they later called our room to confirm if the money belonged to us. They gave us the money back.

2. The receptionist (name withheld) was so friendly and very helpful.

3. The big five restaurant was good ESP the buffet breakfast in the morning.

4. Close to the airport and the city too. If you wish to take public transport Mombasa road is just by the hotel..

In summary I am a Kenyan residing in the UAE and I was home for christmas. Was in ole sereni for 4 days with my friend and we both loved it. In a scale a scale of 10 I give it 11 ;)

Frederick

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole Sereni, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Mr. Frederick,

I sincerely Thank You for taking time to give us your positive feedback.

There is nothing more delightful to hear from a satisfied guest.

I will ensure that we share your sentiments with the Team.

Once agin, thank for sharing your views and we look forward to welcoming you back home.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

We have been here for three weeks and the hotel staff are most wonderful. This is a great lodging point for the many sightseeing areas of Kenya. The location is close to the airport and backs up to the Nairobi National Park. One must take advantage of the game drive through the park. The hotel has an open dining area that overlooks a watering hole in the park. We have seen ostrich, gazelles, and giraffes from the hotel! Excellent dining is available and again the staff is first class!

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole Sereni, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
I Thank You sincerely for taking time to give us your comments.

I am delighted to learn that you had a pleasant stay and found our services meet your expectations.

We hope you will choose our services again in your future travels.

Once again, thank you for sharing your views and we look forward to having you with us soon.
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

I happened to to be in this hotel for a conference and I had pleasant stay. The hotel is ever busy and the conference was a success. The park scenery was great and I saw some wild ranging from giraffee, ostrich, impala and various birds. At the evening it was a bee of activities at waterhole bar and we had fun as we enjoyed our drinks,the breeze was cool and breathtaking. Services were great from the time I checked in at the reception (checking in was faster than it was previously and I was offered with a very cold mango juice). The restaurant, rooms and the health club was fabulous. I frequently called my fiancé in USA and assured him that the hotel is gthe best suited for our honeymoon because the nice hooneymoon packages offered. I would request all guests from all walks of life to experience for themselves.

Room Tip: Request for a park facing room And additional linen when cold
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Philomena F
Ms. Philomena,

I am truly overwhelmed by your comments and thank you for taking time to share it.

Nothing is more rewarding than learning about the positive experiences from our guests. This motivates us to excel in all service levels.

I sincerely hope you will choose Ole-Sereni for your precious moments and we look forward to make it a memorable one.

Once again, thank you for sharing your views and we await to welcoming you BOTH soon.
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Close to the airport with clean rooms yet a few flaws. The check in takes forever, BOTH times that we checked in, even if there is only one person in front of you or the first time we were the only persons checking in after flying for two days! I was served a glass of juice in a broken glass, etc. simple things that need correcting / attention. Stayed here twice once upon arrival to Kenya and right before departure. The first time we were on the 1st floor and the internet worked in our room, the second time on the 3rd floor and it did not work in our room. We went downstairs for a snack one night and signed for the coffee and cake although the waitress could not explain the bill, once back in the room and undressed ready for bed due to an early flight they called and said you can not bill anything to your room from the restaurant so my husband had to get dressed and go back downstairs and pay for the snack. I mentioned this when we checked out and was told that was not correct we could have billed the charge to the room and that they made a mistake. Our wake up call was 15 minutes late and our breakfast we ordered the night before was about 15 minutes late, was not hot and missing some of the order. The first time we stayed there we had breakfast downstairs and it was good, the staff was nice but there were just too many little things that need attention. It is very well located and would stay there again as so easy to get to and from the airport but this time will set my own alarm!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking time to give us yor comments.

I would like to sincerely apologise on the series of inconveniences you and your husband had faced. I can assure you that Ole-Sereni stands for far superior standards which obviously we failed to deliver.

I would request you to reconsider our services based on my personal assurance in delivering the finest of service levels.

Once again, i thank you for sharing your views and we look forward to welcoming you back.
NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

This hotel was converted from a warehouse to be the interim US Embassy after the original was attacked & the new one was under construction. Then the hotel converted it into Ole-Sereni. Convenient location to airport in order to avoid traffic all the way to downtown. One side of hotel faces "game park" - not much to see there but ostrich. Pool is nice, and the bar/restaurant facing onto the game park is nice with added touch of reflecting water feature. Food isn't great but service is with a smile. Rooms are pretty small and average.

Room Tip: facing the game park.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole Sereni, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for taking time to give us your positive comments.

Its unfortunate that you were not able to see much game in the park.

We hope you will choose us in your future travels as well and we look forward to be of service to you.
Centurion, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Location is a major factor when choosing a hotel in Nairobi. Bad traffic makes staying near wherever one needs to visit very important. So on a recent overnight there, between a late-evening international arrival and an early-morning domestic flight, I thought I’d give the Ole-Sereni a try. It’s near to Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (about 5 km), in a great location (on the edge of the Nairobi game park), and impressive-looking (apparently, a conversion of the building used for a while by the American Embassy, although one would never guess from its appearance these days).

Unfortunately, what looks like a five-star hotel offers only average facilities and inadequate service. I checked in just after a tour group, and found no porter available to help with my luggage. (To his credit, the reception clerk saw me struggling with my bags in the tiny elevator/lift and came to assist.) When I got to my room I found that the air conditioning didn’t work. The porter who finally arrived agreed that it was broken. But when I phoned the duty manager, she kept trying to teach me (and the porter) how to use the remote control rather than offering another room. By the time I convinced them to move me, my short night was an hour shorter. The room was OK, nicely furnished but small. The bed was comfortable.

The hotel’s public areas feel like a big lounge – well furnished but crowded (when I arrived) and impersonal. The dining room food was only adequate. The view of the game park from the hotel patio was interesting, but I doubt that people ever see much game so close to the city fence.

On my next overnight turnaround I will try a different hotel near the airport. Otherwise, Nairobi offers much better choices in other parts of the city.

Room Tip: If you choose to pay and extra USD 20 for a room on the park side, stay away from the lower numbered...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Mr. Phil,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments

I regret to learn that your stay experience was not upto to your expectations and for that I apologise.

I have taken stock of the concerns you have highlighted and we assure that your future visits will experience a superior product.

Once again, i thank you for sharing your views and we hope you will give us an opportunity to serve you in future.