“Perfect in every way except for the hard bed!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ole Sereni

Ole Sereni
Ranked #16 of 162 Hotels in Nairobi
Stockholm, Sweden
“Perfect in every way except for the hard bed!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

The location of the hotel is close to the airport and away from the citycenter. Very good for early/late flights! The surroundings are quiet and you might get a look at some wild animals from the restaurant if you are lucky!
The breakfast is the best I have experienced in Nairobi and I only wished that I'd more time to eat before my departure.
The room was clean, with own fridge and new bathroom.
The restaurant was fantastic, what a great service and food. I was impressed! During the service there was a band playing and I enjoyed it a lot as they played with good volume, which is great as it is a bit common for bands to play to loud!

Only concern was that the bed was very hard and uncomfortable to sleep on, please add soft madrases and I will be back!

Room Tip: As for a room facing the gamepark!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole Sereni, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Olifo,

Thank you for sharing your positive comments with us.

Its truly overwhelming to learn that your stay was satisfactory.

We are in the process of changing our Mattresses and I can assure that your future stays will see that change.

Once again, thank you for sharing your views and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Turkish first
Nairobi, Kenya
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

I have been to Ole Sereni before.

I will never return.

We made a reservation to have lunch at Ole Sereni's Big Five restaurant on 22nd December, 2012. On 24th December, the hotel called to confirm our booking and i did so.

On 25th of December (the day of our reservation) our family of 5 pax arrived at Ole Sereni, patiently waited for our turn to be seated and gave our reservation name.

That was the beginning of a long long lunch.

Apparently the table we had reserved had been given away to another party. We were asked to sit somewhere else as they tried to find a table for us. One person in our party was on crutches and the other was unwell, apparently this did not matter to the management.

We were seated outside under the sun and beside the band. I declined to accept this as the band was very loud and the sun excessive.

We sat there for 10 minutes waiting for a change of table only to realise that no one was coming back to us!

I walked back to the reception and asked to speak to the Manager. The lady whom was pointed out to me turned out to be the one who needed just a few minutes to find us an alternate table! I asked to speak to HER manager and he was most apologetic.

He found us a table indoors (even if our reservation was for terrace sitting). As we prepared to sit, one of the other waitstaff said that they had found the perfect table for us. I requested the rest of the party to sit as i checked out the new sitting. This was a good move on my part.

A circular table and a rectangular ones had been joint together jutting unto the walk path. The seating would have meant that anyone seated by the path scoot over anytime someone wanted to walk by.....SERIOUSLY????

We retained the indoor seats given. By now it was 2pm for a reservation of 1 pm. We were already tired.

The buffet was disorganized with no clear indication of where to start. Plates could not be found (other than salad plates) and we had to wait for more. The food selection was either sea food (which we are allergic to) or turkey.

For Ksh 4,500 (an equivalent of roughly 45 Euros or 52 USD) i was hoping for more than one protein but there we were.

We served what we could, listened to music and generally tried to relax after such a trying beginning.

As we would our lunch to a close, we realised that the our sitting area was now very hot and stuffy. We noticed that some of the terrace diners had left and asked to be moved to the terrace. Again the lady manager (yes the same one who needed a few minutes earlier) asked for a further few minutes.

10 minutes later i approached her and asked her whether she has managed to find us a vacant table on the terrace. She swiftly replied that none were available, When i pointed out to one empty, cleared available table, she said that perhaps the diners were getting dessert! Then she changed her mind and said that yes we can move there.

We sat at the table devoid of any cutlery and with dirty and stained linens and waited for the linens to be changed and cutlery provided. We were out of luck!!

The lady manager came over and covered the largest stain on the linen with a cloth serviette!!!!! Apparently that was the best they could do!! I was disgusted.

We returned to the buffet to serve dessert only to be informed that lunch was fiished and the kitchen was closed and as such NO DESSERT!!!! FOR 4,500 YOU CLOSED THE KITCHEN AND THERE IS NO DESSERT???? ARE YOU SERIOUS!!

I again turned to thr reception and asked how this could be from a lady manning the reception by the name of Jamila. Jamila turned to her colleague and broke out into swahili leaving us wondering whether the conversation was for us? About us? with us????? Jamila said that she will get back to us.

We set back on our filthy table and waited for word from the hotel as to the dessert situation.

We saw a few friends and started chatting only to realise they had also had a terrible time of it. Reservation lost, repeated requests for drinks, dissatisfaction with buffet and of course NO DESSERT!! Clearly this was not an isolated incident of poor service from the staff.

They introduced us to another party which had been seated for 15 minutes with NO acknowledgement from any of the staff. The party left immediately after and yes, they will also NEVER return to Ole Sereni!

Jamila came back to us and with the worst attitude i have ever seen from someone in the service sector told us we can serve dessert.

Fruit skewers and cake slices. The fruit skewers had clearly been hastily put together and the watermelon in them had gone bad. The cake selection was terrible and no one had more than a bite. We had to select our dessert plated carefully as several plates were dirty!!

We reiterated our request for cutlery to use for dessert and by the time we received it, we had used our fingers and realised it just wasnt worth it!

We asked for our bill and quietly paid and left. We were exhausted from our attempts to get the mediocre service we received.

At a total of Kshs 26,500 ( 234 Euros or 311 USD) this was the WORST experience that we could have had on Christmas day.

There was absolutely NO value for our money and the management and staff in no way made this an enjoyable meal. The customer service left a bad taste in my mouth as did the rotten fruit and the terrible attitude from their staff.

I have been to Ole Sereni before.

I WILL NEVER RETURN!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Wambuimwangi
Ms. Wambui,

Thank you for taking time and effort to share your experince.

I regret to learn that your experience was not satisfactory.

May i please request for your contact info as i would like to personally get in touch with you to resolve this issue.

Ole-Sereni surely does not stand for this level of service and I would like to request for an opportunity to assure you of it.

I sincerely request for your response and hope we can have you back as our guest.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

First, they didn't have any Fanta or Sprite which in essence meant they only had Coke, club soda and tonic water for soft drinks selection. There was no coconut cream so they couldn't make piña coladas, despite having a hypermarket 5 minutes away. Lastly, I ended up changing my order from the tandoori chicken because they didn't have it. Yes they had chicken, but not tandoori, which is a bit confusing.

As for the actual dining experience. Service is prompt and the staff are helpful. We tried their cosmopolitan, mojito and mai thai. the mojito was really good, the rest were passable. My friend's glass was chipped but she didn't want to make a fuss. The tempura prawn, caprese salad and calamari starters are good. Entrees were good but I expected spectacular. Then everything went downhill. It took almost 15 minutes to clear the table, they forgot the drinks order we made when they were clearing the table and depending on your waitstaff, you might not be allowed to order dessert from the main restaurant past a certain time, even if that's where you ordered your lunch from. Dessert was. . .sweet. Not much else to say about it.

They should also look into a small play area for kids.

In conclusion, the major plus points are the amazing view and ambiance. The food is ok, not memorable especially for the prices.

• Stayed January 2013
Sir / Madam,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments.

Our sincere apologies on the inconveniences you had faced especially on the delay in service. I have taken stock of your comments:

1. Unavailability of Fanta / Sprite: The outlet where you were dining 'Waterhole' did run out of it but it was organised from the other outlet which took some time and we apologise for it.

2. Tandoori Chicken: Since it was festive season we were not running our regular menu but only the Buffet hence the reason of the non-availability.

We would like you to give us another opportunity to ensure you are satisfied with our services. Our Food & Beverage Manager has been trying to get in touch with you but in vain.

We look forward to having you with us soon.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed one night at this Hotel on our way from London to Zanzibar. The room was quite small, same for the bathroom that is basically composed by a basin in the room itself and a shower box. Breakfast buffet is nice & rich and the terrace overlooking the park is lovely. Check-in and check-out process was very slow and the transfer to the airport that we booked with them was late. We had the impression that rather than respecting the arranged time they were waiting to see if they could have more people on the same van. The driver was finally convinced to leave after informing him that he would have paid for a new flights in the event we had missed our flight. Definitely expensive for what offers, however very convenient to reach the airport and if you fancy a quick Safari in the park. I would suggest to book your own transfer and not rely on theirs.

Room Tip: Do not rely on their transfers to/from airport or attractions
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sir / Madam,

Thank you for taking time to share your comments.

My sincere apologies on the delays you faced. Ole-Sereni surely stands for superior service standards.

May I request you to reconsider our services in your future travels as you will experience a far superior stay.

Once again, I thank you for sharing your views and wish you a Brilliant 2013.
Ottawa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

Do not stay at this hotel if you are expecting to see animals. The hotel is adjacent to scrub land of the Nairobi National Park. If you wish to see elephants and other assorted African animals, then go the large game reserves of the Coastal Province.

Be sure to ask for a room facing the park, otherwise you will be given one facing the highway. It is also a good idea to ask for a non-smoking room unles you are a smoker. The rooms are smal but confrotable.

The big plus of this hotel is its location close to the airport.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Sir / Madam,

Thank you for sharing your stay experience.

I am sure it was very disspointing not to have any sight of animals in the Game Park. Lately there has been much human traffic in the park which has made to animals move away from this side but they do come across during early hours of the day and especially during the night.

I hope you will get to see them during your future visits.

Once agin, I thank you for sharing your views and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

i had a pleasant stay at ole-serene between 24/12/12 and 26/12/12 and the is hotel good with very friendly and helpful staff, decent and comfortable rooms with the latest facilities and guest have a choice of smoking or non smoking rooms, the big five is amazing providing a wide taste of varieties and guests from all walks of life have full satisfaction. I really appreciate the heated and controlled swimming pool where i and my friends from South Africa enjoy chilled beers while overlooking the African Ocean( national park). The presence of animals in the park was a peculiar experience: ostrich, giraffe e, the cranes, antelopes. i am delighted to be in such a prestigious and luxurious hotel where by all my requirements are taken care of especially by one cheerful guest relation officer called Shadrack whom is best suited in the hospitality industry. As a well experienced traveler in the all continents i will recommend all guest visiting Nairobi to stay at Ole-sereni hotel.

imo hoffman.
hoffman_@yahoo.com

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Mr. Hoffman,

I sincerely appreciate the time and effort you have taken to give us your comments. Thank you.

It's very rewarding to see a guest who is satisfied with our services.

We look forward to your continued patronage.

Once agin, thank you for sharing your positive experience and we wish you a brilliant 2013.
Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

This hotel really made me feel safe and exceeded my expectations. Felt more safe myself and with my things than in any other hotel I've been to and I stay in 5-7 different hotels every month. I left 97 dollars in my safety box but forgot to lock it before leaving the room. When I came back there was a note from security where they asked me to call. I called them but they didn't pick up straight away so I didn't bother.. Didn't yet realise that the money was gone. Later security called me back and asked me if I was missing some money, when I checked I realised that the money was gone. The cleaners found the box open and the money inside. To make sure noone else would take the money they took the money and brought it to security to keep it safe. This is something I thought would never happen anywhere in Nairobi.

I also found all the staff extremely friendly. During our 4 days in this hotel I felt like many of the staff where just our friends more than staff. That made the stay really enjoyable for us and we felt very comfortable to ask anything and we could chat about anything with them.

Room Tip: The cheapest rooms are very small so I recommend taking a deluxe room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ghulam S, General Manager at Ole Sereni, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Ms. Margret,

Thank you for taking time to share your views about our services.

It is our constant endeavour to ensure that our guest experinces the finest of services.

We will surely share your sentiments with the concerned team member and acknowlledge him / her for their high level of integrity.

Once again, I thank you for your comments and look forward to having you with us soon.

Wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.