“Nice Get Away”

and 1 more site!
The Ndemi Place
Ranked #55 of 169 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed February 4, 2011

I had a most excellent stay at the Ndemi Place for 2 nights in November. Although the location is a little way out, and the water supply though constant and reliable is a little weak, the stay was most comfortable. The room is spacious and there is a nice living area to watch TV or just to chit chat with others. Breakfast is great, and the staff is excellent. Very polite and very helpful, especially Monica who manages the front desk. The owner whom I met briefly is a very nice distinguished woman. Hebie (not too sure about the spelling, sorry), the owner's son is most helpful in finding out what I was interested in and arranging my itinerary for the 2 short days I had. So even though the location is not ideal, everything was arranged and made very easy with a car to bring me around. He took me, and another traveller, out on the second day to Lake Nakuru National Park. Aside from the many wildlife which we saw freely roaming in the park, especially the flamingos, the trip was really very enjoyable as Hebie is a very personable and pleasant travelling companion, sincere to give his guests the best experience in Nairobi. We ended the day with an excellent and inexpensive somalian dinner, which only the locals will know about. The B & B is very reasonably priced and most importantly, they can help tremendously in recommending the itinerary and arrangements for your stay and nearby visits. I would recommend the Ndemi Place as a home base for your long safaris or for short stays in Nairobi.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank RichardT2011

Reviewed January 31, 2011

I am a 23 year old college student, and was traveling alone through Nairobi on a mission trip. I paid $60 for a single room, but my room did have 2 beds. It was easy to do reservations by email with Monica and I paid in cash when I arrived. The taxi drivers that Monica arranged for me were great, and Thomas were very nice. The layout is very comfy to a western traveler. The room had two twin beds with mosquito nets and a bathroom
and plenty of space. The shower had two temperatures. Freezing cold
and burning hot. There was a switch on the outside that turned on the
heat and during my shower I had to run back and forth a few times to
get a medium temperature. That is something that travelers might have
trouble with. But everything was very nice and clean. It is in a
locked compound up a dirt road with a night watchman. The living room
has a tv and computer with internet and wifi. Everyone was very
pleasant and it was very quiet and peaceful, not too close to a main
road. I left for an early flight so I did not have breakfast and therefore can not comment on that. I would go back for sure.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Sarah2486
Reviewed January 27, 2011

My husband and I recently spent a few days at Ndemi Place while in transit from Canada to DR Congo for a month of volunteer work. We have lived in Kenya before and travelled in Africa. We do not like big touristy hotels and prefer a more local feel. Ndemi Place fulfilled all our needs. The staff ( Monica, Thomas , Cosmos and Evans taxi ) were all very helpful and really took care of us. They were gracious and arranged a luncheon meal for us to share with some Kenyan friends . This was served out of doors and everything possible was done to make our friends feel at home .
Yes the decor is basic and the shower is the typical African electric heated stream but the hotel was clean , the beds comfortable , and the interior garden was very pleasant. We had laundry done at a very reasonable cost . The breakfasts were nicely served and hot. My only criticism would be that we would prefer the coffee to not be powdered. After all, Kenya has fabulous coffee.
The location on the Karen side of Nairobi was perfect for us because we wanted to visit people near Ngong Hills and Kikuyu hospital. The airport pickup was prompt and helpful.
If you want an American style experience in Africa, go to a big hotel in downtown Nairobi, but if you want to experience a little well kept secret, give Ndemi Place a chance. It is good value for money and you will be glad you did.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank francophilerj
Reviewed January 19, 2011

I travel to Kenya every year for Christmas vacation. Last December I wanted a change from the top hotels. I just wanted a quiet and secluded place to enjoy my vacation. The Ndemi place provided just that - privacy, quiet and serene environment, and warm and cozy feeling. They facilitated a cellphone that made my life much easier. I met professionals from Europe, US, South Africa, Pakistan and several nationalities and they all seemed at home. I kept wondering why I'd never known of this place before. I would recommend this place to anyone that's seeking peace of mind. Plus the savings were great!
George, Texas USA

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank k51252
Reviewed January 1, 2011

I stayed here based on reviews from TripAdvisor - happy to report it met expectations. The staff were very friendly and made us feel at home, bring a thermos of hot water for tea to our room when we arrived at night and they noticed my cough. Breakfast was tasty and included and again the chef made us feel right at home. We had two nights then off to the Mara. Overall a great value and I would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sunrajaXIV
Reviewed November 28, 2010

Found this place when waiting in Nairobi for a friend to arrive. I had spent a night in The Country Lodge but needed somewhere cheaper to hold up for a few days. It is a nice quiet B&B with really friendly staff. I stayed in a single room first which wasn't amazing but was clean and did the job. Then moved in to a twin when my friend arrived which was really nice. It is in a quite area and has a big garden doesn't feel like your in Nairobi at times. There is a nice front room with an open fire giving a nice homely atmosphere. They serve a good breakfast and all in all for the price I would recommend it. If you want something up market and willing to pay a bit more go to the Fairview.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ras78
Reviewed November 26, 2010

Our first choice of hotel was full so decided to stay here based on the positive reviews. In general we were pleased with our choice, the personal touch was nice and Monica and Thomas were very helpful with directions, advice & arranging excursions. Monica could only recommend one restaurant which was within walking distance, DiVino, which was very nice but according to the guidebook there were others close by too. But she was very kind to arrange a taxi to pick us up after the meals at the restaurant.

Downside was that it was difficult to sleep, the first evening which was a Saturday, other guests came back very late and were really noisy so got woken up. When breakfast is being prepared, which is about 6am, you can hear the footsteps on the wooden floors of someone going in and out of the kitchen. Since our room was next to reception, you could hear all the conversations through the wall. If we had a different room, perhaps it would have been quieter.

The second night was even noiser, with some American guests who arrived in the middle of the night, shouting something about hot water. Another guest left at around 4.30am presumably for an early flight so was woken with all the noise of the discussion with the taxi driver, the car and the suitcase being rolled through the guest lounge. With the thought of being woken again when it was time for breakfast to be prepared we got up and left early for the airport and missed breakfast.

The breakfast was disappointing, the fruit was very nice but had some mud on the skin of the watermelon so did not want to eat it, then we were asked if we would like bacon or sausage, to which we replied bacon, but then got sausage plus 2 pieces of cold toast. It just was not a nice breakfast - based on this we decided not to have an evening meal prepared but to go out both evenings to a restaurant.

The bathroom also was a problem, since there was no power in the shower at all, it was just a trickle of water.

The gardens were lovely though and the building really nice too, Steve one of the drivers was particularly helpful and took us on all the excursions within Nairobi which was great plus to and from the airport (our arrival flight was delayed by about 2 hours but he waited there for us all that time). It was nice to come back to the guesthouse after the excursions but missed the facilities of a hotel, where you could take a drink at the bar or simply have a cup of tea in the lovely gardens, so it was boring, but then again, it is only a guesthouse.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple