WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of The Ndemi Place

The Ndemi Place
Ranked #51 of 161 Hotels in Nairobi
Winnipeg, Manitoba
“Great place to stay in Nairobi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

We spent 4 days at Nedmi Place and we really enjoyed it. The rooms were large and spacious and we had a comfortable bed. The staff were amazing! They were always willing to help us out with anything we needed whether it be getting meals or exchanging money. They were always friendly and never made us feel like we were bothering them. The grounds are beautiful and quiet. I highly recommend Ndemi Place for your time in Nairobi.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
11 Thank zimmer67

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Peterborough, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014

I stayed here for two nights before going on safari. I'm not going to lie and claim Ndemi is a five star luxury resort. But if you are looking for a clean, comfortable, inexpensive, quiet place to cool your jets (or recover from jet lag, as I did) before heading out on your African adventure this is a great place to start.

The rooms are pretty basic, but clean and comfortable; mine had good wifi service and looked over the back garden. There was no TV in the room which did not inconvenience me since I rarely watch TV anyway. Your mileage may vary. It was so quiet at night you might never know a big city was just beyond the walls.

I've seen some complaints here about the shower arrangements but I have to say I've had no issue with them.

What makes Ndemi great is the superb customer service. I don't think I have ever been to a place where I have been treated so well. Viola efficiently made all the arrangements by email, including airport pickup and having a hot meal from a local restaurant here for me when I arrived. My plug converter died and staff went out of their way to find one for me. Anything you need the staff are willing to help.

Would I stay here again? Absolutely, without thinking about it twice.

• Stayed February 2014
9 Thank PtboMichael
Arusha, Tanzania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

Ndemi Place is a remarkably quiet and clean place where you can really feel at home, assuming you don't require much luxury. The facilities and service are significantly better than other places I've stayed in Nairobi at similar price points, and the location is quite convenient if Kilimani is where you need to be. The staff are very responsive, helpful, and friendly; they're not always at reception but if you need anything ask the guard and give them five minutes to get there.

The quality of the rooms varies (the showers in particular don't work very well in some of the single rooms), but they're rarely at capacity, so if you're unhappy with your room they can usually move you. In summary, a very comfortable and pleasant (if basic) spot at a reasonable price for Nairobi.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
8 Thank NMS091314
Canton of Bern, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

Staff is friendly and helpful.
Place not so easy to find for taxidriver. Not recommendable as stop-over from/to airport.
Rooms are dark and old. Don't take the one next to the kitchen, noice will wake you up.
65US$ are definitly too much for this quality.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Alpenkalb
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

I stayed here for a few nights mainly for business. The staff are very friendly and helpful (when they are available) and the room facility was fairly basic but functional. One benefit was the free wi-fi that was available and the guest house is in quiet location which is fairly accessible to most places in the city. Ideal for a one or two night stay if you want something reasonably priced (for Nairobi) and don't require home comforts in your room.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank travelbug7878
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

Ndemi Place is HOME away from home - and this is largely thanks to the extremely friendly staff of Ndemi ("Asante to Catherine, Bernard, Moses, Viola & the team). Possibly, THE BEST customer service you can get in Kenya. I stayed there 4 times in Sept/Oct 2013: every time I was returning to Ndemi (from Eldoret, Mombasa, etc.), I truly felt like coming home. The staff would help me with any inquiry (e.g. ordering a taxi) or question I had, and they are very reliable - this spares you a lot of time and sometimes hassle, if you don't know Nairobi/Kenya too well.

Ndemi is a very peaceful place with wonderful garden. Peace is what you most probably will be looking for after surviving it through the insane Nairobi traffic.

Rooms are spacious and clean. Bathrooms - same same. WiFi is available. TV is available in the lounge area. Breakfasts are good. For other meals, you can get it delivered from any of the restaurants in the neighborhood (very fast, within 15-20mins, and inexpensive).

The neighboring area is very safe and rather well connected. You find big shopping malls within walking distance (Junction, 15 mins walking), also sport grounds and health clubs (Impala Club: I used their track, gym, pool; got very good massage there). For nightlife, there is a cool bar/club on Ngong Road (Brew Bistro & Lounge) - very lively on weekends (mix of African and Western club music).

I arrived to Nairobi on the day of the Westgate mall incident. Before travelling, I was checking on various hotels - also those of international chains and in downtown. After my arrival and seeing what was happening in the Westgate mall, I was very happy - almost relieved - I chose this discreet and homelike place to stay (and not one of "mass tourism"). I felt completely safe in this peaceful oasis.

Last but not least, I would advise Ndemi Place to anyone looking for peaceful, charming and secure place to stay in Nairobi. Let's be clear - Ndemi is not Hilton or Sheraton (one comment below seems to mistake Ndemi with one of the posh hotels, expecting Intercom in the rooms - hmmmmm, I personally find it quite amusing :-). But I would not swap Ndemi for any of these high-end hotels.
Ndemi is a lovely place which offers great value for money and assistance you won't get anywhere else. So don't hesitate - go for it!

Ndemi Place will always be "my place" in Nairobi/Kenya!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank Joanna W
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

I'm currently staying at Ndemi Place. So far the service has been great. The manager's name is Moses and he is extremely helpful. Any services you require, he organizes without any fuss. Today he walked us to a local bank to transfer money and has also organized meal delivery from a local restaurant.

The room we have is simple, yet spacious and clean. If you are after a modern place then this is probably not for you. The cost will be more though as Ndemi Place is quite cheap in comparison to the 4 and 5 star hotels. The rooms have free wifi which was a nice surprise.

Management organized a driver to pick us up from the airport. Despite having to wait nearly an hour the driver waited for us, with name card in hand, and drove us back to the hotel for a very reasonable fee. Management has obviously built a relationship with honest and reliable taxi drivers. Today we used a different driver who took us to a local giraffe park and coffe restaurant for a reasonable fee.

I gave this place a 5 due to it's cost and my expectations. it's very quiet and in a relatively safe part of town.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple