The Ndemi Place
$85
$234
$174
Trip.com
All reviewsgreen spacepeace and quietvery nice place to staywithin walking distanceplace to stay in nairobirooms are comfortablewould definitely stay here againkilimanitaxigreenhousekenyamaintenancesupermarketgate
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Charming, friendly, quiet place set in a lovely walled garden. I stayed at Ndemi Place for three nights – Saturday before a week in the Rift Valley, and the following Friday and Saturday nights before I left for home.
The overall feel of this place was cool, green, quiet and safe - totally different from the surrounding dusty streets filled with traffic. I would definitely stay here again if I return to Nairobi.

I paid $4800 ksh (about $58.00 USD) per night. Like most places in Africa, they require payment in cash, so make sure you visit the ATM and don't plan on using your credit card at the hotel.

Ndemi place is not an American style luxury hotel – not cheapo but not upscale either. Just solid and comfortable. The building has the gracious feel of an old colonial English lodge (I think it originally was one). Lots of dark woodwork, casement windows, high ceilings, and solid dark wood furniture.

A small but comfortable breakfast room is located on a greenhouse style porch, where they served sausage and eggs to order in the morning along with the usual breakfast buffet – coffee, tea, cereal, fruit, etc. The grounds are very green and leafy, with a bench here and there to relax and watch the birds. The hotel doubles as a conference center, so there are a few large buildings on the grounds. One is a kind of ugly, barracks style building, but the beauty of the rest of the garden made it easy to ignore. There was a conference one of the days I was there. Everyone arrived in the morning and went straight to the conference buildings without entering the hotel itself. They made no noise or trouble.

The comfortable living room has armchairs, a TV and a computer with internet access for guests. The hotel was not very full when I was there. The staff were invariably very friendly and helpful. They arranged for taxis and told me the prices up front.

There is a shopping center about a mile and a half away, down the Ngong road, which is a busy boulevard with a dusty path on each side. I walked there once and it was a comfortable distance. I felt safe as I walked, with all the traffic and bustle, although it was a bit too hot because I went at noon and forgot my hat. The shopping center was VERY much like an American shopping center – bookstore, drug store, gift stores, clothing stores, American-style coffee shops and restaurants, and a big supermarket/general store (Nakumatt) with the feel and products you'd find in a U.S. Wal-Mart or Target store. There are also several ATMs there that took my ATM card from a major American bank with no problem.
I would definitely recommend Ndemi Place.

Room Tip: The first room I stayed in (I think it was room 5) was in the interior of the building looking onto the garden, and was completely quiet. The second time, I got a room with big bay windows facing the gravel driveway (I think it was room 3). The sound of steps and tires on the gravel was a little bit loud at first, but it stopped around 10 or 11 p.m. and the rest of the night was very quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Soxna D
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Ndemi Place is a very nice hotel - guest house located in one of the 'posh' suburbs of Nairobi.

It is quiet, clean and well maintained. The staff are helpful and accomodating - they got us chips, brandy and coca cola from the local shops (not very healthy but that's our fault!) and arranged a taxi to the airport at a good price.

The gardens that surround the hotel are a great place to relax on a sunny afternoon. I recommend the spicy African tea.

The next day my flight was delayed and Kenya Airways put me in a business hotel while I waited. Of course it was free to me but if I had paid it would have been much more expensive than Ndemi Place. It was not as good.

Room Tip: If you are a couple I recommend room 10. King size bed and acres of room
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Mostyn1953
Reviewed March 12, 2012

A very pleasant, reasonably priced guest house some distance from the city centre, but well located for attractions in Karen and nearby areas. The room was comfortable but showing signs of wear and tear and wouldn't suit people who want a high standard of maintenance, but it was clean and the essentials all worked. The common areas have character and are a nice place to relax or use the free wifi (not possible in the room). The garden is superb and is a great place to have breakfast, particularly as the cook whips up a great omelette which you can have spicy if you want. Good samosas are another highlight of the breakfast.
Overall, by Nairobi standards, this is a good value for money place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank David Watson
Reviewed February 7, 2012

A little bit outside Nairobi but that means peace and quiet. There are lovely gardens to sit out in and enjoy, and the staff are both friendly and accommodating. Due to an early departure they were happy to sort out an early breakfast for us, and in the evening if you come back too late, for the chef to fix you up a bit of food they can sort out drinks and food to be delivered from local restaurants. Rooms very clean, nice hot water and they can sort out travel to and from Nairobi airport.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Rhys G
Reviewed January 23, 2012

Where do I start TV not working (DSTV had not been paid, internet not working as it had been cut off. The chef/Security/repair man very friendly but a one man band show stale breakfast to great you in the morning.

The only thing positive is the bed is comfortable.

Don't be fooled with nice seeming pics. We and the couple renting next door all checked out after one night.

• Stayed: January 2012