“Beautiful baby elephants!”

$70.00*
Half-Day Daphne Sheldrick Wildlife Trust - Elephant Orphanage Tour from Nairobi
Ranked #1 of 127 things to do in Nairobi
More attraction details
Owner description: The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust (DSWT) Elephant Nursery in Nairobi National Park provides a safe haven to orphaned baby elephants rescued by the DSWT. The Nursery provides the first stage in the hand-rearing and development of milk dependent baby elephants. Once they graduate from the Nursery, aged 2-3 years, the elephants move to one of the DSWT's Reintegration Centres in Tsavo East National Park, from where they will ultimately return to the wild.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed March 16, 2013

What a wonderful place this is! It's only open for an hour or so during the elephants feeding time so make sure to get there early, but it is so worth it! The baby elephants are so beautiful! Thank goodness there is a place like this that will take care of them. I could have stayed all day!

There are newer reviews for David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I visited the elephant orphanage together with a group in January. We had heard positive things about it, and we were really looking forward to the visit. It might have been just us who didn't know what it really was, but nevertheless, most of us where disappointed. Since we had heard "elephant orphanage" we didn't expect just to see baby elephants get fed inside fences with loads of tourists around. For me, I was more reminded of a zoo (of course I understand that the project is not like that, but I'm thinking about the experience as a tourist). I don't know if it's worth the visit - if you'd really like to see baby elephants, go check it out, but there are many other things in Nairobi that should be higher on your "attractions to visit"-list.

1  Thank Chiccabom
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My first choice for sightseeing, observing the orphan baby elephants was educational, and motivational. Seeing the care they're receiving after the tragic loss of a mother, shows what CAN be done, not just what can go wrong. Elephants and staff are each amazing. I will continue to support these efforts in the years to come.

1  Thank Anne K
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This place is often referred to as the elephant orphange by the locals.
I just returned from my third visit to Nairobi and my third visit to this
place. This is the only so-called tourist attraction that I felt warranted
a return visit. Don't miss it!

1  Thank litlady44
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Was there with a friend who sponsors/adopted a baby elephant there and so we got to do a private visit in the evening when the babies were coming in from the park at the end of the day (around 5pm) and have to say that having a troupe of baby elephants run towards you is incredible! The keepers are so wonderful and friendly as well once you start chatting to them and the whole experience is just enchanting. Well worth a visit!

2  Thank Meg074