“Top Drawer!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 155 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
“Top Drawer!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

The Kings post is an experience I would like to relive again and again and again. In spite of the fact that I could put myself in a posh hotel, I chose to stay at the King's Post (2 bed room apartment). I stayed there for over a month and absolutely enjoyed everything about it. It was tastefully done in Swahili design. Four poster beds, huge balconies, fully functional kitchen, great house keeping, High speed internet, delightfully friendly staff and safe neighborhood. Very centrally located in Naiorobi. Great place to stay if you want to experience culture first hand. I recommend!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Sarvesh-Ramachandran

Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This was my second stay at Kings Post in the last year. Located in the relatively safe Westlands area Kings Post has excellent accomendations. Rooms and apartments all have full well appointed kitchens. A fitness room and fitness classes are a welcome new addition. Staff is friendly and efficient. Security is tight, always a must in Nairobi. Excellent value.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank ispvp2
Amman, Jordan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

My husband and I lived at the King Post for a period of 9 months from April 1/2011 to December 31/2011. We had a one bedroom apartment and loved it. Our apartment was beautiful, decorated in a Swahili design. We had everything we needed in the apartment. We especially enjoyed our balcony where we took most of our meals. Our place was located on the second floor which was perfect for us so we never had to worry about anyone possibly climbing in through the balcony. We were located close to the end of the complex which was possibly quieter than the front apartments. The complex also had a nice swimming pool and a cook out area. At present there is also a brand new gym. All the staff were very friendly and ready to help out. Dolly was the main person in the office and she always greeted us with a smiling face. Even the numerous security guards were always friendly and helpful. During these times of insecurity in Nairobi we always felt safe at the King Post. I walked to work every day, past the UN buildings and offices. Rhapta Road is a relatively safe place to walk, except after a rainfall. Many times I was splashed on my way to work. King Post is located within walking distance of several shopping centres and many excellent restaurants. We did most of our shopping either at Sarit Centre or ABC - both within easy walking distance. Westgate was a little bit further, but it is a beautiful shopping area, well worth the extra distance. Pride Inn was located next door to King Post, so if we wanted to grab a quick meal that was the place for us to go. At the end of our stay, once we checked out of our 1bedroom apartment, we still had two additional nights to stay after our trip. As a bonus, we were given a two bedroom apartment for those two nights. They were spacious and beautiful. One of those apartments even had a fire place and three balconies. The master bedroom had an ensuite bathroom with a tub in addition to the regular apartment bathroom. This worked out very nicely for us since we also had a friend visiting and she was able to have her own bedroom for those two nights. However, even in our one bedroom apartment we were able to put up guests in the living room for short periods of time. All in all we loved our place at King Post. Unfortunately in January 1/12 the rental prices increased since the new gym opened which might make it a little more difficult for people to afford long term stays. However, if the price is right for anyone, we would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: We liked to be a little higher and further away from the main gate.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank Adrienne999
kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

The king post is superrrrrrrr, staff is very friendly and the environment is very nice toooooo....definately coming back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Fareham UK and also Nairobi Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

My partner and I stayed at The King Post, in a studio apartment, for a week in July 2010. It is a beautiful place, decorated in swahili/arabic design. Security is a high priority as is comfort. All the staff members are friendly and accommodating. The only problem was that the room was extremely cold. I believe that the architectural design is suited to the warm weather at the coast - not necessarily for Nairobi. The management should consider installing some sort of heating system. The other challenge was that the website does not allow would be guests to make payment on-line or through a paypal account. having to do a bank transfer is - i feel - quite outdated. It's also annoying when people are leaving for work in the morning/coming back at night - i could hear the cars right outside my window. The living room sofa is also beautiful but not comfortable. It would also be nice to be able to see the tv from the bed. but then again, we all probably need a break from television! They also do not provide a safe, in the room or reception which was quite annoying. we had to carry our money and gadgets around with us.

Their prices are reasonable. They do not serve food but you are provided with all the utensils you would need, and there is a Chinese/Indian restaurant opposite. The cleanliness standards are also high.

King Post is also in a relatively plush area and near the sarit centre shops so it is convenient.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Natabona
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

We initially were going to stay at one of the more expensive hotels in Nairobi, but they were sold out ~ 2 weeks prior to our trip.

We contacted The Kings Post. They were very helpful.

We arrived on a Sunday night. They are in a convenient location (Westlands).

Overall, the place was very nice. We had 2 bedrooms. There were no screens on the window or the beds, but we only saw a few mosquitos outside. The rooms were stylish. The TV had cable. The kitchen had a fridge, microwave, stove, utensils ... . There were lockable cabinets in the rooms. The maid was fine. They only provided 2 small bars of soap, but we had packed shampoo ... with the knowledge that this was an apartment.

The next morning, the office was able to configure my laptop to obtain WiFi signal. The internet speed was good and did not cost extra.

The bathrooms were nice, not great by Western standards, but very nice and clean.

The first night picked up food from an Indian restaurant across the street Piliani's, it was ok.

This worked nice for us. It should be noted that we had a friend pick us up at the airport and had our own vehicle. If you were using taxis service, you may want to see if the office would be willing to help arrange pickup and drop off for you.

Our 2 bedroom / 2 bathroom facility cost ~$200 (usd) per night. I think that is a good value for Nairobi.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank TravelingRADMD
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2009

I stayed at King's Post for three weeks (on a long-term business assignment in Nairobi and my long-term apartment wasn't quite ready when I arrived) in early November, and would highly recommend it to other travelers. The rooms are beautifully decorated (I would say quasi-Indian/Middle Eastern decor) and extremely clean - the maid/cleaning service comes in almost everyday and kept my room immaculate. The amenities/components in the room were in good working condition (fridge, stovetop, oven, toaster, microwave, TV.), and it was stocked with all kinds of dishes, cookware and kitchen utensils. The area King's Post is in is relatively quiet; I think there are some private residences right next to King's Post - for the most part, they were also quiet, except for some yard/house construction that took place one weekend but that was not the norm.

Karima was so friendly and caring - she really made me feel at home in a new place/culture. I am highly confident she would bend over backwards to make someone's stay at King's Post as pleasant as possible. The only issue I brought up to her was the poor Internet access from my building (and I think it was free access) - she acknowledged that my building has some difficulty obtaining a strong signal, and offered to move me into another building that was closer to the router. I declined to move since my stay was short, but I appreciate her willingness to solve the problem. I didn't mention that I thought the bed was a bit hard, as that seems more like a traveler preference than anything wrong with the room, but I'm sure if I would've brought it up, Karima would've been quick to offer up some solutions to solve it.

The rest of the staff I interacted with is very friendly and seemingly competent. I was really impressed with Patrick, one of the security guards, with the assistance he gave me - when I arrived late in the evening on my first night, I wasn't yet set up for Internet access or phone to let my family know I arrived safely. So Patrick ran down to the local store (there was another guard on duty) to get a cell phone calling card, and allowed me to use his cell phone to call my family.

Overall, I was very happy with my stay at King's Post - I would stay there again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business