“Good bed and breakfast in Nairobi, rooftop bar and free wifi”

Khweza Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 275 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 24, 2011

A good bed and breakfast in Nairobi. With airport transfer if you like. They can organise daytrips if needed. Friendly staff. Good cold Tuskers at the rooftop bar. Breakfast was good.

Room Tip: good bed and breakfast
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Khweza Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed August 23, 2011

On a recent trip, I had to spend one night in Nairobi on my way into the interior. I got a little worried as the cab pulled up (it was in the "industrial" part of town), but once I got inside, I felt much better. Nice local decor, friendly staff, and great food.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I had a lovely two-day stay at Khweza. The room was clean and very comfortable. The breakfast was good. And the staff were all very friendly and helpful. A much more personal atmosphere than a hotel. Nice rooftop terrace overlooking Nairobi. Can certainly recommend it. Only small negative point was that the shower was way too hot! But I forgot to tell the staff and I'm sure they would have sorted it out had I told them. Free wifi as well, which worked perfect. And the place felt very safe.
Would definitely go again!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Kay v
Reviewed August 22, 2011

We stayed here for one night after 18 hours of flying from the U.S.. The people were really welcoming and helped with our bags. All the beds had mosquito nets and were reasonably comfortable. The rooms had a nice African motif. The shower had no shampoo, but did have soap. The shower was broken in our room and had obviously been fixed either by a guest or someone who wasn't a plumber. It broke again when I tried to use it. I could make it work by holding it together with one hand, an awkward situation.

It was raining hard and the rain found its way into the stairwells and pooled on the roof. The roof was the location of the breakfast, which consisted of fresh fruit, eggs made to order, coffee and juice. The food was okay, but it was tough to get the attention of the staff to order it. Overall, it wasn't a bad place to stay for one night.

Room Tip: Look at the rooms and the bathrooms before deciding which you want.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank kryptogram
Reviewed August 13, 2011

A friend and I stayed at Khweza after completing an Overland tour, my comrades stayed at Boulevard Hotel (Glad I wasn't them!-what an overpriced dump) after suggestions from the tour leader. I chose Khweza after the reviews on Tripadvisor and emailing Sarah who responded very quickly and I'm glad I did! We arrived in a taxi and yes Ngara Rd does have a reputation but Khweza is on the safer end. We arrived and before we could get out of the car a man bounded down the stairs and retrieved our bags (so quickly I was convinced we were being bag snatched haha), The rooms ooze African Culture and are quaint and homely. When we arrived (early) they advised our room was still being made up but they quickly did and apologized for the inconvenience!(remember we were early!). The rooftop restaurant provided average to good breakfast, but had amazing views of the city in which you could watch the city go by. Reception happily gave instructions on taxis, restaurants, information and walking/safety information. The service, quality and homely feel made us come back after a 3 day stint in Masai Mara. This time we brought a friend with us after our rave reviews and she loved the place too. We stayed in a front room and you could hear a faint level of traffic but I feel that little idiosyncrasies like that and the walking of guests on the metal stairs and the Indian/Muslim woman singing outside on Sunday mornings all part of the beauty of the Kenyans and African culture in general. "Hakuna Matata or TIA". The area has amazing Sari shopping and easy walking to the CBD, safe enough for us to walk and funnily enough although I was warned of the dangers of "Nairobbery" I found that when I feel in a rut in the road it was in fact a local who helped me up and offered his assistance, Again a telling statement of the majority of Kenyan people. I would happily stay again and feel that you couldn't find such a place anywhere else in Nairobi. Although if your a newbie to Nairobi of Africa in general please note that road driving is chaotic at best and traffic delays aren't uncommon so after Khweza has arranged your transfer to the airport (which they did amazingly well BTW!) leave enough time to get there as anything can happen in the 25 minute drive haha.

Room Tip: try to get a room near reception/away from front if your worried about noise
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We only stayed one night at the end of an overland trip but we had a very good experience at Khweza. Very helpful staff helping us to our room with our bags etc. The location is on a main road and may not be good to walk around at night but, it was no problem at all, as the reception staff were very friendly and helpful and would arrange their private driver or a taxi that they trusted whenever we needed it and at a reasonable price. Once inside you are very secure.

The room itself was basic but a good size, comfy bed and was very clean with towels and a hot shower and we had a good nights sleep. Breakfast was good on the roof top terrace. I would recommend.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2011

I checked in on 22 may 2011 and was there for about 10 hours before proceeding with my journey.Getting there wasnt a problem as my taxi driver knew the place,but shock kicked in as he stooped outside the place.I could see the name ,but the place was just too intimidating and a bit different from the photos.

i plucked up the courage and wandered up the dark stair case to the reception,i quickly checked in and went to my room.The dstv wasnt working and no hot shower ,however the staff managed to get some channels working .

Later in the evening i went to the roof top just to watch the final matches of the english premier league,and ooh my God the mosquito feasted on me and for the full 90 minutes.

I didnt hear much noise during my brief stay and the staff were very good.However im not sure if i can ever go back,the place is simply too much scary for me .

Room Tip: I cant advice about the rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank COMIDO
Management response:Responded July 22, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate honest reviews because they assist us in providing a better experience for our guests.

I'm sorry you found our property 'intimidating', and I do understand how that can come across to you, as we are located on a busy street. However, we are right across from the Administration Police Post, and the area is quite safe.

It's unfortunate that the shower in your room was not working, because we have hot instant showers in all our rooms. This is activated by turning on a switch right outside the bathroom. We have noticed that some people miss this switch and we have gone ahead and labelled the switch to avoid inconveniences to our guests. Thank you for notifying us about it.

Regarding the mosquitoes at the roof top, we regret the discomfort this caused you, but being an open bar/restaurant, we are limited as to what we can do to avoid mosquitoes. In the rooms, we spray mosquito repellent and also have mosquito nets in all rooms.

We hope to see you again and assure you of great African hospitality!