All reviews rooftop restaurant hot water kindest staff hell's gate national park safe driver lake naivasha happily stay again close to town budget hotel recommend staying here breakfast was delicious wonderful stay day safari mosquito net spent nights late at night rooms are small
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We only stayed one night at the end of an overland trip but we had a very good experience at Khweza. Very helpful staff helping us to our room with our bags etc. The location is on a main road and may not be good to walk around at night but, it was no problem at all, as the reception staff were very friendly and helpful and would arrange their private driver or a taxi that they trusted whenever we needed it and at a reasonable price. Once inside you are very secure.

The room itself was basic but a good size, comfy bed and was very clean with towels and a hot shower and we had a good nights sleep. Breakfast was good on the roof top terrace. I would recommend.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2011

I checked in on 22 may 2011 and was there for about 10 hours before proceeding with my journey.Getting there wasnt a problem as my taxi driver knew the place,but shock kicked in as he stooped outside the place.I could see the name ,but the place was just too intimidating and a bit different from the photos.

i plucked up the courage and wandered up the dark stair case to the reception,i quickly checked in and went to my room.The dstv wasnt working and no hot shower ,however the staff managed to get some channels working .

Later in the evening i went to the roof top just to watch the final matches of the english premier league,and ooh my God the mosquito feasted on me and for the full 90 minutes.

I didnt hear much noise during my brief stay and the staff were very good.However im not sure if i can ever go back,the place is simply too much scary for me .

Room Tip: I cant advice about the rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank COMIDO
Management response:Responded July 22, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate honest reviews because they assist us in providing a better experience for our guests.

I'm sorry you found our property 'intimidating', and I do understand how that can come across to you, as we are located on a busy street. However, we are right across from the Administration Police Post, and the area is quite safe.

It's unfortunate that the shower in your room was not working, because we have hot instant showers in all our rooms. This is activated by turning on a switch right outside the bathroom. We have noticed that some people miss this switch and we have gone ahead and labelled the switch to avoid inconveniences to our guests. Thank you for notifying us about it.

Regarding the mosquitoes at the roof top, we regret the discomfort this caused you, but being an open bar/restaurant, we are limited as to what we can do to avoid mosquitoes. In the rooms, we spray mosquito repellent and also have mosquito nets in all rooms.

We hope to see you again and assure you of great African hospitality!

Reviewed May 25, 2011

I'd mark this as a backpacker's hotel. The location isn't great, especially if you have your own car (no parking). Located on the very busy Ngara Road, the place is super noisy in any of the roadside rooms. The building is about 4 stories in a U-shape (the bottom of the U faces the road) so there is a sort of "courtyard" that amplifies any sounds. Plus I'm not even sure if the non-road rooms have windows to anywhere but the courtyard. Breakfast is included but it's the usual eggs/white toast/cheap fruit combo of most East Africa hotels. The rooms themselves were okay. I think mine had a flat-screen even. But the showers (a masonry "river rock" look) were a little funky smelling and swarming with mosquitos. Your mileage may vary, but I opted to not return here in favor of other options.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs.
  • Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank NatCk
Reviewed May 14, 2011

We stayed at Khweza for one night. As the price was quite inexpensive, the hotel was beyond my expectation. The rooms were clean and vibrantly decorated. There was also an ok cafe on the roof which had an 'interesting' view of Nairobi.

It was about a 20 minute walk into the centre and a driver on call if you needed to go anywhere. The surrounding neighbourhood was a little rough so I wouldn't have walked alone.

The service was very good on some levels and also a little off in some instances, but I think that's more a Kenyan trait, rather than this hotel in particular.

Sleeping at night was a litte difficult as they fill they water tanks and you can hear the sound of water gushing through the pipes.

Overall for the cost of the hotel it was adequate.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Misspoulos
Reviewed May 14, 2011

Was there with a partner for a night and the rooftop bar is an amazing place to check out nairobi city. Clean and spacious, great African decor. One of the best, reasonably priced B&B in Nairobi, and excellent location , just near the city centre.Staff is also very helpful. Will definitely be back next time I am in Nairobi.
Three cheers to Khweza.