All reviews rooftop restaurant hot water kindest staff hell's gate national park safe driver lake naivasha happily stay again close to town budget hotel recommend staying here breakfast was delicious wonderful stay day safari mosquito net spent nights late at night rooms are small
Reviewed April 12, 2011

It is clean and safe, but nothing special. A decent price for a city with high priced accommodations. The rooms are very simple and the guest lodge is strict on the check out time. It isn't advised that you walk around in the area (even during the day) so you will need to take cabs to get around, which isn't uncommon in Nairobi. If you need a place to stay for a night it is fine. I wouldn't recommend it for much beyond that and you will be hard pressed to find anything else within this price range.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 20, 2011

We spent two nights at Khwesa before going on safari. We had booked an airport pick-up through the hotel (at KSHS 1600) and it went smoothly in spite of a two hour delay.

We arrived at the hotel at 6:00 am and were able to check in immediately. We received a room facing the road. As others have mentioned, there was a lot of noise from the road, however we had earplugs and so no sleep was lost. The room, a superior room, was quite small, but clean and had a flat screen TV and complimentary use of Wi-Fi (although the signal strength was quite weak from time to time). All that was missing was a small fridge to store water and a few drinks and hot water in the shower.

The hotel has a great rooftop terrace where breakfast, lunch, dinner and drinks are served. The menu is quite limited, however the meals we had were very good. Please try the Bean Gullash which was fantasic. We did wait a long time for the evening meals however this is pretty consistent with our other experiences in Africa.

All in all Khwesa is great value for money and we would not hesitate to stay there again...

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Escape_DK
Reviewed March 13, 2011

I traveled with my 2 kids, and searched from Paris hotels & safari tours on the net. I didn't want to stay long in Nairobi so I searched for affordable priced hotel and I read about Khweza. It sounded ok, so I booked and asked infos about safaris to the manager. We had a few emails together and I finally booked my 5 days safari by Khweza.
IT WAS JUST SIMPLY GREAT, honestly !! Juma came to pick us up at airport and we left next day to Masai mara reserve with Mohamed, the other guide tour. Those two men were really careful and smily with us. As a woman traveling alone with children, I felt really secured with them during the all tour. When they were not staying at same hotel, they always made sure that our room was ok and that we wouldn't miss anything. Friendly and professional. We had a very nice safari, kids loved it, the hotels were very nice places, clean and comfortable, and Sally even changed the one in Nakuru because I asked if a swimming pool was possible for the kids : she found a very nice one for no extra charges !
Back to Nairobi, I spoke with her about going to Mombasa and she also tried to find us a place to stay there. On this day, two people staying at Khweza get robbed in Nairobi street (in a local taxi in fact). Sally was amazing, she simply helped them as a natural thing to do (I wonder if a big hotel would have provided such friendly help) ! And she advised me to avoid a few things, like "matutus" (local cabs) or walks at nights. Juma and Mohamed came with us to buy tickets in the right bus company, Sally and Juma gave us their phone numbers in case we need help, Juma came to pick us up when we came back and brought us to funny places on the last day (giraffes and elephants centers for kids).
All in all we had a very nice safari-beach trip, with the nice feeling that we had people caring for us.
I WILL DEFINITELY STAY IN KHWEZA IF I GO BACK TO NAIROBI.
Simple, nicely decorated, clean and affordable hotel with really nice people working there, amazing terrace viewing the town, perfect to have drinks or meals.
Thanks to them !

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 2, 2011

The only drawback to this place is that it's on a busy road. BUT if you ask for a quiet room, a lot of the traffic noise can be avoided. The roof restaurant has a great location. The menu is not large but it's far better then trying to venture into night time Nairobi. The food is quite good.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2011

We got one of the large, front-facing rooms... it was so noisy I didn't sleep all night. Like other reviews have noted, get one of the interior rooms. You have to turn the hot water heater ON in your room, or you won't have hot water.
I'd recommend this hotel for a night as a stop over between safaris, but not for an extended stay.
The wifi was great- but it only worked in the lobby area.
The rooftop was lovely for a beer at sundown and breakfast at sunup.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends