“Perfect for the business traveller”
Review of Hillpark Hotel

Hillpark Hotel
Ranked #48 of 205 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
“Perfect for the business traveller”
Reviewed November 22, 2010

I stayed here recently with a colleague as we were not willing to pay exorbitant amounts to stay in substandard hotels in the center of town.

The reception area left us a little frazzled as there were many people checking in and checking out on the rainy evening we arrived. However, once we were checked in and stepped into the hotel building we were pleasantly surprised. Quiet, clean, and better than we expected. My room was clean, warm, cosy, and I had piping hot water and clean sheets - perfect!

If there was a problem, if we mentioned it to the staff they were quick to accommodate us. Breakfast wasn't too great, and we didn't eat there for lunch and dinner. However, the garden area by the restaurant, in the peaceful neighborhood and with the gorgeous jacarandas made for a pleasant setting, perfect to sit with one's laptop and a cup of tea (or a glass of wine) if one wanted.

Luckily by the time the health-buffs in the gym got going in the morning I was already awake, otherwise the loud electronica beats would have woken me right up at 6:45am or so. And we were close enough to where we needed to be (right downtown) that it only ever took us about 10 minutes to get there on time.

The taxis at the hotels charged us some of the fairest prices of all the taxis we took... The taxi drivers were honest, courteous, and polite.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is in Nairobi on business and will only be spending time in the hotel to sleep. With a few changes, this place could easily become a hidden gem, for their prices, service, and location.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Kachez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
New Delhi, India
Reviewed October 21, 2010

Its a nice hotel, not far from downtown.

Pretty much a safe place from my experience. The rooms are nice, quite comfortable and well furnished. The price is also not much, so its a good value for money.

The staff is okayish and friendly. The food except for the breakfast is pretty bad..

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank me_nishantgupta
Midwest, USA
Reviewed January 6, 2010

I stayed 2 nights at the Hillpark as part of a group safari trip through a reputable company, one night at the beginning of the trip and one in the middle. If I ever return to Nairobi, I would not choose the Hillpark.
The first night was spent in a relatively clean two-story bunk room with extremely dated furnishing and utilities. Dinner at the hotel restaurant was decent but by no means speedy and really the only choice available since the location of the hotel is not close enough to the city center. The included buffet breakfast the next morning was the only highlight of the stay. While some of the amenities such as the state-of-the-art gym, free internet, and luggage storage were nice, the customer service was not up to par.
For the second night, I was quite looking forward to the hotel and a hot shower after 6 nights of camping in the Rift Valley. The room this time was a much nicer hotel room with a beautiful stone shower and large claw foot tub I planned to utilize later that evening. I also planned to take advantage of the laundry service offered, which later became quite the hassle. When dropping off the clothes at the front desk around 230 pm, I was told I should have them returned that evening before bed time. My travel group planned dinner at the hotel restaurant again for lack of better options and boy was it a mistake. We waited over 20 minutes just to obtain a menu after asking 4 times. After waiting another 20 minutes to order, it took 90 minutes for some pastas and burgers, and the waitress seemed to care less. Once dinner was finally complete, I returned to the front desk to check on my laundry. They instructed me to call the laundry office from my room, which I promptly did, and was told they were just sorting and should deliver it within 30 minutes. I held off on the bath assuming they would arrive soon. But then 45 minutes passes, and no laundry. I call again, and was told they were "just finishing up" and would be up in about 15 minutes. Another 30 minutes pass by, and this time I call reception asking to speak with the manager. He states he would check for me and call back. After another 20 minutes of no contact, I walked to the front desk to get answers in person. The manager finally gets involved and says he will personally go check for me and I should return to my room and he will call me with an update. After about 20 more minutes, he calls and says a housekeeper should be right up. When she did finally appear, literally 50% of the clothes were not mine, but random men's clothing. I had to write a detailed explanation of the missing items, which she fortunately was able to retrieve after another 30 minutes of waiting, which puts the time after midnight and an early 5am rising. I was not a happy camper, nor were any of my other group partners, most who did not receive any of their clothes until nearly 6am right before we were scheduled to depart. And even after complaining to management, I was still charged over $20 US for whole laundry fiasco and never received an apology or explanation. And I never did get that bath.

Hillpark needs to reconsider their customer services and improve on them greatly before I would ever consider staying there again or recommending them to anyone.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank Kristina T

Travelers are raving about these Nairobi hotels

UK
Reviewed December 7, 2009

I just spent 4 nights at the Hillpark - I only chose the hotel as the other main hotels were booked. On the plus side - it's a fairly good price for Nairobi (about $100), it seemed safe and the gym is really good (big, clean and all new equipment). Down side - the rooms are very dated, mossies (but no mossie net) and many years of smoking in the room (many rooms are smoking) also it's far from the main drag. It needs to get re-vamped before I would stay there again (the pictures on the website didn't match what I saw!)

• Liked — Gym
  • Disliked — Dated and smoky rooms
  • Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Fiona_travel