“Simply the best Nairobi hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi

Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi
Ranked #17 of 156 Hotels in Nairobi
Prague
“Simply the best Nairobi hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

Clean, calm, great club amenities, best internet in Nairobi. And surprisingly unexpensive!

• 5 of 5 stars
, Managing Director at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, February 4, 2011
Thank you for your feedback as regards your recent stay at our hotel and your impressions thereof.

I look forward to welcoming you back and assure you of our commitment to continuously working at the levels of service we offer.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Polish first
Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2010

This is the 4th hotel I have stayed in in Nairobi in the last 2 years. It has the best fitness centre and steam bath of the lot, surpassing the sister InterContinental Hotel.

The beds are comfortable but the pillows are huge artificial fabric jobs and although there is a promise to provide you with a pillow of one's choice (5 to choose from including a medium-sized down pillow), when I tried this service another artificial pillow was sent up after 30 minutes but it was just as bad as the ones already on the bed.

The TV is flat screen and large, the internet worked and was included in the price. The buffet breakfasts were also good (nothing special by Nairobi hotel standards), but egg orders were not followed (fired egg became an omelette), and service for coffee was rather slow.

The shower was really not fantastic for a crown Plaza, in about another year the shower head will be totally blocked from the chalk build-up. I was told by other guests that this is a problem in all the showers - and the hotel is just a year old!

I had a major issue with room service who added a hidden "tray charge" of USD5 for every order. I said to the assistant manager that I expected transparency on the menu prices and would vote with my feet on this issue. The charge was dropped and I was told the matter was "on the table"but I doubt the menus will be updated with this charge.

All in all the hotel is OK in 2010, but will age very rapidly is my guess. Service is also below average (Intercon and Fairview a lot better). However if the fitness centre is important and you enjoy a steam bath (I did not try the adjacent sauna), then one can put up with the rest. (The pool is VERY small and more a feature of the patio restaurant).

Portsmouth, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

This 3 week buisiness stay was made so much more enjoyable because the staff were friendly and interested.
Everyone from the restaurant staff with a cheery smile in the morning, the gym and pool staff and not least the lads on the door who were friendly obliging and humerous.

Thanks everyone for a good stay

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

I spent a single night at the new Crowne Plaza in Nairobi and if cost is not a factor, would certainly recommend it. I arranged an airport pick up through the conceirge which went very smoothly, and the driver was exceptionally helpful. I tried the nicer of the two restaurants on site and found the dinner to be superb, though like the rest of the hotel, expensive. The entire place is very well appointed and the room was very comfortable. The trip to/from the airport during rush hour is at least 45 minutes. A very nice stay, but if I was traveling on pleasure, I'd find a much less expensive option.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

well it started nice ; arriving too early for a biz conference we were, as priority members i guess, upgraded to the club floor. nothing to do in the area by the way, it is located in the middle of nowhere. Arrived in the room we decide to make us some tea, but then i was electrocuted by the water heater ... that happens when you put made in china stuff in a 4 star hotel i guess. next day, if you use the fridge for keeping chocolates in it for friends (and belgian beer for me), they lock your fridge. checking your bill you see the airport hotel taxi is per person, not per taxi as we do in civilised western countries .... then after some days when you take a hotel car for dropping off your wife at the airport, it has no working seatbelts in the back, and yes indeed, we get involved in a car crash 500 metres further so we suffer both from a whiplash ... the replacement car, organised quickly and efficiently by john the driver, but also without working seatbelts again ... is not of the hotel and of course on returning the new guy, wilson, wants to charge two times the fixed 25 usd fee, plus a 7 usd tip ... none of the ladies at reception cares ... asking an hour later if the problem has been solved #amongst kenyans# nobody at reception seems to remember ... will check my bill i guess, also you pay usd 30 more for the second person being my wife, but if she leaves, the rate goes not down anymore, a one way elevator .... dear god, it is 1 am in the morning and i have to survive here another two days, can you please teleport me to the serena during my sleep ???

1 Thank Kortenbergtraveler
Crowneplazanairobi, Owner at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, November 17, 2010
Dear guest, thank you for highlighting your comments expressing disappointment during your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Nairobi.

We have taken note with regards to the water kettle malfunction and it has given us an opportunity to review all of them and ensure the safety measures are in place to avoid such an incident.

Kindly note the mini bar fridges have to be sealed in order for us to keep inventory controls and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.

We have investigated your transportation concerns and note that the taxi that you utilised for your transport means was not our selected hotel taxi service. Please note we are not in control of other taxi operators within the vicinity thus we highly recommend use of our selected transportaion company to our guests.

We look forward to welcome you back and offer you a memorable experience next time you are in Nairobi. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on juan.uribe@cpnairobi.com.

Yours sincerely

Juan Uribe
Dubai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

The Crowne Plaza is a good hotel as i have stayed there before. however, it is probably against all "hospitality" standards to have a booking at a hotel but approach the front desk to discover that they do not have rooms to give out.
nothing to say other than disappointing!

• 1 of 5 stars
mjameson, Managing Director at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, November 10, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to highlight your unhappiness with the manner in which you were treated upon arrival at our hotel. You are absolutely correct in your comments as we had overbooked our hotel and I am truly sorry for any frustration and inconvenience that you were caused.

Please contact me when you next intend traveling to Nairobi as I would like to personally ensure that we look after you. I can be contacted via email on jamesonmjj@gmail.com.

Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

This is a brand new hotel with some excellent facilities, and very friendly staff. However, much as I appreciated their friendliness, a few of them had little understanding of what 'customer service' is actually about. This was apparent at reception, where invariably one member of staff was left to deal with large numbers of guests (Trixie was particularly helpful and patient, but must ask for help - customers should not have to wait 20 - 25 minutes to check out).

The above said, the hotel is modern, airy and pleasant. The rooms were very clean and comfortable, with a good sized bed, mini bar, wifi access, flat screen TV, safe, etc. Chamber service was overall very good, although occasionally inconsistent (e.g. missing towels, complimentary water forgotten, tea biscuits not replaced). However, the room was otherwise well serviced with clean and comfortable bedding, and nightly 'turn-downs'.

The hotel has the usual facilities such as bar, restaurant, gym, spa, pool, business centre, etc. I particularly liked the well equipped gym, sauna and steam room. There is also a 'centre court' swimming pool next to the main restaurant, although its location and design mean the sun is limited to a few hours each day.

The restaurant provided some excellent food, and the buffet was particularly good value for money with a great selection. The 'A La Carte' food prices were reasonable to high, although some were better value than others, however, the wine prices were exorbitant - the cheapest being about $30. I also saw a bottle of 'Jacob's Creek' at $100 (you're having a laugh). Try dropping the prices, or another wine supplier, and you might actually sell some wine!

Service was also a problem in the restaurant, where a large number of staff stood smiling and interacting with guests on arrival - excellent, but do you think you could bring me tea/take my order/clear my table please? Don't get me wrong, I really liked the restaurant staff - they were very friendly and accommodating. However, their training and/or supervision was clearly lacking, and guests had to continually 'ask' for service (a cynic might suggest it is because service charge is included on the bill, and they don't have to try?). On three mornings I arrived at 6am for breakfast only to find no waiting staff or chefs, and a lot of breakfast items missing (e.g. no tea, toaster off, egg station unmanned and hotplate off). Guests in any hotel, let alone a five star, should not have to chase staff to have such fundamentals in place.

Despite my comments regarding some pockets of poor service, my stay at this hotel was overall very pleasant, and I would certainly return.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
mjameson, Managing Director at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, November 11, 2010
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Following receipt of your review, I have involved myself personally in rectifying the areas where we have fallen short and I will ensure that we improve our service levels. The delay experienced at reception has been corrected and there will be a greater and ongoing management presence in the area. Our not being ready for our guests breakfast needs is not acceptable and I have addressed this and the training need within all our dining facilities and feel confident that this will improve significantly.

We are also reviewing the supply chain for wines with a view to having wines more affordable and reasonable.

Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.