“Uncomfortable bed and noisy room” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi

Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi
Ranked #17 of 156 Hotels in Nairobi
London
“Uncomfortable bed and noisy room”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

The room and actual hotel was great, probably not quite the charm of the older hotels in Nairobi but the location is good, away from the CBD area and near the elephant orphanage (11am-12am), the Karen district and other tourist hubs and a short drive to the airport, but be aware of the traffic, may take longer at certain times.

Negatives was mostly the sleeping conditions, which at +$230 a night is hard to stomach, the bed itself seemed great, really big, but so soft it felt like a waterbed and the pillows were large and hard, with no variations. We were given a room (504) which is situated next to what seems to be service room, which I only discovered at 2am, 4am and then again at 6am, as you could hear people milling next door and moving equipment. Why the hotel thinks they can get away with placing people in these typpes of rooms is beyound me, particularly at these prices.

My complaints at reception about my bad sleeping experiance was met with a blank expression of silence, adding to my contempt for this hotel. Maybe if you want to run a modern hotel, learn how to deal with complaints, an apology would go a long way to avoid harsh reviews like this.

Also, be aware your breakfast may not be included in the price, my fault entirely, but don't trust the staff to know this either, like the hotel price it's defitenly on the over priced side of things.

Room service was great and all the other staff members, particularly the doormen and waiters were very nice.

It's unfair to complain about the expense of the hotel, but after my bad night sleep, it was hard to feel there was any value in this stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Crowneplazanairobi, Owner at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, September 28, 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for your valuable comments which give us an opportunity to evaluate the most important aspect of the hotel (your comfort of sleep).

All preventive measures has been implemented as Crowne Plaza Nairobi strives to deliver quality of service and with your valuable comments we are able to improve our service.

Please be rest assured the next time you return to Nairobi, you will have a pleasant memorable stay and experience.

Thanking you.

Kind regards

Juan Uribe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Polish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

What a view of the city. After a long day, I didn't even need to go out. Excellent service and a great modern building. They do a great job with upkeep. Helpful staff, good amenities, comfortable rooms. I will definitely return if my business takes me to Kenya again. Great job, team!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

I was looking forward to this stay, but it surpassed even my high expectations. What a view! And the modernity of the place is exceptional. It is a new hotel and it feels like it. Superb upkeep. Attentive staff. I will absolutely be back again if my travels take me to Kenya. Keep up the great work!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

I stayed in a double room with my father on a business trip. The room was excellent and there was plenty of room for both of us.

My experience in the hotel was great, from stepping out of the taxi and being greeted by one of the friendliest concierge staff I have ever met, his name was Evans and made our stay very memorable. There was also another lady, Maggie who represented the African Heritage store and she was also very nice and made our stay even more excellent. The staff in this hotel were some of the best I have met on my travels through out the world and deserve pay rises for their exceptional people skills.

The restaurants were very good especially Sikia whose continental food was great, I recommend the duck. The food in all restaurants was always fresh and of the highest quality with great presentation. A little pricey but still great. A cheaper alternative for food is the Gazebo restaurant over the road from the hotel, which is also very good.

The business centre was open until 11pm and met my needs, printing is very expensive so I recommend you come prepared if you are on business.

If you travel in cabs make sure your doors are always locked and try not have your valuables on display.

Overall great hotel with exceptional staff.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

My family and I visited Nairobi on a mission trip with Feed The Children on September 11-16th. We had a slight hiccup at check in as the front desk attendant was not very familiar with processing groups. In addition, I advise exchanging money somewhere other than the front desk. Although they have a bank upstairs it was sometimes difficult to get it processed. Other than those small front desk hiccups the stay was very nice. We befriended several hotel staffers who we will continue to remain in contact with. The breakfast buffet each morning was delicious. We were able to try African cuisine as well as American favorites. The hotel itself is new so the rooms, bars, fitness center and restaurants had all the latest amenities.

• 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank sportsprgirl
Crowneplazanairobi, Owner at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi, responded to this review, September 25, 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments which enable us to strive in our service and be able to improve expectations of our customers. WIth this great positive feedback we are able to take Crowne Plaza Nairobi to higher levels of service.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Regards
Juan Uribe
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

I recently stayed at the Nairobi Crowne Plaza during a business event, and was absolutely impressed with every facet of this property especially the STAFF. The hotel is less than a year old, and is an excellent choice for it's modern amenities, location and cleanliness. The hotel has many choices to dine, a great two story lobby bar and a fantastic physical fitness center. My room#302, was spotless and well appointed. Everything you would expect in a western hotel, the Crowne Plaza delivers. Room service was speedy, and wonderful.

I want to express a heartfelt "ASANTE" to the staff members that assisted me in making our business meeting a huge success. Mr. Uribe the GM, whose personal attention is unmatched. Also, the professionalism and attention to detail of staff members Becky, Lewis, Cynthia and of course Mr. Collins Luvai. It was wonderful meeting and working with all of you. i hope to return to the Nairobi Crowne Plaza very soon.

1 Thank vinceonthemove
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

I've been a frequent business traveler throughout East Africa. Ive stayed in many hotels but the Crowne Plaza Hotel Nairobi is definitely the hotel that caught my attention. The service that this hotel offers is great. The location of this new hotel is spectacular. What more do you want with a hotel with a breath taking view of the city of Nairobi? The brand new rooms were if not the best throughout East Africa. What really caught my attention was the friendliness of the staff and the management. When i arrived at the hotel, I was greeted by the General Manager himself. Great guy! The next time I make a visit to Nairobi, I know where I'll be staying! Excellent

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business